The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #6,271 of 18,652
  Yes, if you lower the volume from the lineout, you'll get lower dynamic range

I am usually pretty uneasy leaving the volume to the max because I am always afraid of the DAC clipping at that level however I have tried it multiple times and it does not seem to be the case besides Wolfson would be warning the implementers about running it at that level.

Having said that, I usually leave it at 235 and let the amp take volume control.

If the amp has a decent output, the level you leave the dap at does not seem to make any differences on SQ but the amp seems to have a sweet spot so use the amp in combo with your dap and leave it to your ears to appreciate it and find your own sweet spot.

Thanks for the input from both of you. I decided to give the O2 from JDS labs a second look. This time I made an arrangement with the local audio shop. I want to give this amp a thorough test drive with DX50 and she agreed to me taking the home and return it in 3 days before I buy it.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #6,272 of 18,652
You are getting into debate territory here, some from the camp of it ain't making any difference due to length and others thinking that every inch counts. Without divulging the side I am on lmao, I go for a mix, I.e. silver and copper combo. I used to have silver/1%gold but that's long gone. I just received my four Neutrik connectors and gonna cook some tiny batches as to keep the IC real short. Can't wait to get to work.

What about you?

You're right that its more then enough. I won't combine much.
I'll use Cryo OCC copper with 4x 1.5mm wire strands connected with Cardas Tri Eutetic.
Also sleeve is going to be black to fit my black source aswell as amp.  Should be fine.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #6,274 of 18,652
You are getting into debate territory here, some from the camp of it ain't making any difference due to length and others thinking that every inch counts. Without divulging the side I am on lmao, I go for a mix, I.e. silver and copper combo. I used to have silver/1%gold but that's long gone. I just received my four Neutrik connectors and gonna cook some tiny batches as to keep the IC real short. Can't wait to get to work.

I'm using Jenna cryo copper with Mundorf silver/1% gold, cardas quad eutectic solder and viablue mini jacks, loving it, plain copper or silver never did it for me, but copper/silver/gold now were talking :p

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #6,276 of 18,652
  Hey guys when you pair DX50 with an external amp, in which volume level do you set the volume in DX50.

Is it required to set the volune of DX50 to the max value(255) to get the most of the SQ from the line out jack?

Thanks

I could be way off here, but I thought when you use a line out it totally bypasses the internal amp?  If so, how would adjusting the volume on the DAP affect sound?  Like I said I could be way off.  I love learning from these forums.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #6,277 of 18,652

I could be way off here, but I thought when you use a line out it totally bypasses the internal amp?  If so, how would adjusting the volume on the DAP affect sound?  Like I said I could be way off.  I love learning from these forums.

According to iBasso, they are not using the amp to control volume.  The volume is set using the DAC's 256 step volume control.  Anything that passes through the DAC uses the volume it is set at.  Both the headphone out and line out use the DAC.  This is also why the line out doesn't have a static volume, or separate volume control, because whatever you set the volume at for one analog output both end up using it.  Sadly this also means that due to the hardware design, they're unable to release firmware that lets one set a different volume level for the line out than the volume on the headphone jack.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #6,279 of 18,652

According to iBasso, they are not using the amp to control volume.  The volume is set using the DAC's 256 step volume control.  Anything that passes through the DAC uses the volume it is set at.  Both the headphone out and line out use the DAC.  This is also why the line out doesn't have a static volume, or separate volume control, because whatever you set the volume at for one analog output both end up using it.  Sadly this also means that due to the hardware design, they're unable to release firmware that lets one set a different volume level for the line out than the volume on the headphone jack.

Got it, thanks.  I've been following this forum for a couple weeks now wanting to learn as much about the DX50 as I can.  I finally made my decision yesterday to put my iPod Classic in the Sale / Trade forums along with some other stuff to fund the DX50.  I'm hoping I can make the 9th batch order.

Does anyone recommend ordering straight from ibasso or mp4nation?

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #6,280 of 18,652
I went back to FW 1.2.2. after trying out 1.2.3b. I like the balance in SQ of 1.2.2 compared to the beta. The boosted bass on the beta is just so distracting on some tracks and appears to be masking the mids and highs.

Since some people here like the SQ of the beta firmware I wish Ibasso make this an option selectable in the menu. So that going forward the FW update will make all users happy.

I think we are almost there with major bug fixes. It would be a bonus if Ibasso throws in additional features or UI enhancements on future updates.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #6,281 of 18,652

Got it, thanks.  I've been following this forum for a couple weeks now wanting to learn as much about the DX50 as I can.  I finally made my decision yesterday to put my iPod Classic in the Sale / Trade forums along with some other stuff to fund the DX50.  I'm hoping I can make the 9th batch order.

Does anyone recommend ordering straight from ibasso or mp4nation?

I ordered straight from ibasso, which seemed to have provided free overnight shipping from China to Texas.  I was really surprised at how fast this shipping was o,O

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #6,282 of 18,652
I've finally got a chance to use the DX50 with the D-Zero.
My first impressions: the D-zero is definitely better than the DX50's HO. But I'm not sure if this improvement is only due to the lack of hiss in the D-Zero. I'm guessing a less sensitive IEM/headphone wouldn't get any improvement at all from the D-Zero. I'll do some further testing this week.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #6,283 of 18,652
Nov 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #6,284 of 18,652
  I've finally got a chance to use the DX50 with the D-Zero.
My first impressions: the D-zero is definitely better than the DX50's HO. But I'm not sure if this improvement is only due to the lack of hiss in the D-Zero. I'm guessing a less sensitive IEM/headphone wouldn't get any improvement at all from the D-Zero. I'll do some further testing this week.

Which IEM do you use and you hear hiss on DX50's HO? I am using JH16 and don't hear any hiss at all even on High gain. I tried D-zero with DX50 also but I can't really tell if there is any improvement on SQ over the HO. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. Same thing when I first tried the O2. Now that I'm trying out the O2 at home, I am greatly appreciating the SQ improvement.

The only problem is the DX50/O2 stack is thicker than my ipod classic/M8 stack. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #6,285 of 18,652

Which IEM do you use and you hear hiss on DX50's HO? I am using JH16 and don't hear any hiss at all even on High gain. I tried D-zero with DX50 also but I can't really tell if there is any improvement on SQ over the HO. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. Same thing when I first tried the O2. Now that I'm trying out the O2 at home, I am greatly appreciating the SQ improvement.

The only problem is the DX50/O2 stack is thicker than my ipod classic/M8 stack. 

I'm using the BA4f from cosmic ears. And yes, I hear a lot of hiss with the DX50, even on high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back