The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #5,822 of 18,652
Many thanks to Cooper for the detailed analysis of the DX50/QS + DX50/PP combo. Much appreciated.

I currently own the DX100/Momentum for my daily portable usage for 1/2 year already, the DX100's battery life just killing me (even I've bought the xps8000 to feed it while I'm a long day out).

So I'm seriously considering to get the DX50+amp combo and I have much interest in Apex Glacier (as QS and PP are transportable rather than portable w/ the DX50)

so just a follow up query if you (or any others own/have the experience of such combination) could give me some suggestion:

Would you expect the amp section of Glacier comparable to QS and PP (especially if power is the key to any DX50/amp combo) and would have a good synergy w/ DX50? I don't know if you ever own the Glacier (but you've mentioned you've own the TTVJ slim in the Glacier Appreciation thread). I'd be much appreciated if you could elaborate the the combo, basedon the house sound signature of TTVJ, from your memory and "imaginary" LOL.

The THD of Glacier is 0.005%, so from your impression, is it a "SHAME" to pair w/ the 0.003% DX50?

Many Thanks for your advice in advance. Any others' suggestions and recommendation would also be much welcome.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5,823 of 18,652
  Many thanks to Cooper for the detailed analysis of the DX50/QS + DX50/PP combo. Much appreciated.

I currently own the DX100/Momentum for my daily portable usage for 1/2 year already, the DX100's battery life just killing me (even I've bought the xps8000 to feed it while I'm a long day out).

So I'm seriously considering to get the DX50+amp combo and I have much interest in Apex Glacier (as QS and PP are transportable rather than portable w/ the DX50)

so just a follow up query if you (or any others own/have the experience of such combination) could give me some suggestion:

Would you expect the amp section of Glacier comparable to QS and PP (especially if power is the key to any DX50/amp combo) and would have a good synergy w/ DX50? I don't know if you ever own the Glacier (but you've mentioned you've own the TTVJ slim in the Glacier Appreciation thread). I'd be much appreciated if you could elaborate the the combo, basedon the house sound signature of TTVJ, from your memory and "imaginary" LOL.

The THD of Glacier is 0.005%, so from your impression, is it a "SHAME" to pair w/ the 0.003% DX50?

Many Thanks for your advice in advance. Any others' suggestions and recommendation would also be much welcome.

I am also looking for an amp to pair with DX50. The glacier looks like a good match because it's slim. However, I think it's underpowered compare to a Pico Power.

The DAC circuitry could have been invested in a more powerful amp circuit. Imagine an amp that slim capable of driving highly sensitive IEMs to hard to drive headphones. That is the combination I'm looking for since DX50 already have an awesome DAC. I don't want the extra blings just pure amp power and neutral/clean SQ in a small/slim package that mirrors DX50.

The power of Pico power on the glacier's form factor, I'll take it in a heartbeat. It maybe a long stretch but we can always dream.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #5,824 of 18,652
Hi yazoo123,

Thanks for the kind words. I have spent some time with the TTVJ Slim and less time with the Apex Glacier. I liked them both. Peter Millet is a good amp designer. The TTVJ amps are not power behemoths like the PP or QS; they are more similar to the Pico Slim, another lovely amp for IEMs. I will say the the TTVJ amps are slightly on the warm and musical side so one can factor that in.

That is as far as I am prepared to go. To speculate on how a specific amp will synergize with the DX50 when I have not heard the combination makes no sense.

BTW 0.005% THD is very good. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #5,825 of 18,652
Regarding mini-cables, I just lucked into this. Japan's Oyaide is now selling complete interconnects using their silver + rhodium plating plugs and PCOCC-A (i.e. good quality copper) cable from Furukawa. The guy I bought it from carefully hand-shortened it for me to my specs using Cardas solder. Total cost: US$41.

A few days earlier, I listened to a US$2,950 (!) mini to mini interconnect using a centimeter thick pipe of piccolino silver cable. I have to say that it sounded absolutely fantastic, every bit as good as my $41 oyaide cable.

I am still looking for the perfect small plug right-angle to right-angle IC to get my rig's profile down. The secret is that it cannot interfere with the headphone jack or volume control on the Pico Power so the format has to be just right.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #5,826 of 18,652
Thanks Cooper once again and Headwhacker for sharing the impression and idea which I totally agree.

I know I'd pay the DAC part which is quite a redundant, in my case, if I go for Glacier. Since the portability is my second priority for choosing the DX50/amp combo and I could hardly find some other slickly amps like Glacier at the moment. Pico Slim (PS) would be my alternative choice but the fit w/ DX50 just not perfect as the Glacier.

I've already read through some DX50/PS combo owners have praised about its synergy so it may be my own turn to audition the PP, PS and Glacier in person. QS would not be my choice since I haven't have a plan to go balance at the moment and its shape and form factor just make me feel like I'm on board in a star trek shuttle.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #5,827 of 18,652
  I am also looking for an amp to pair with DX50. The glacier looks like a good match because it's slim. However, I think it's underpowered compare to a Pico Power.

The DAC circuitry could have been invested in a more powerful amp circuit. Imagine an amp that slim capable of driving highly sensitive IEMs to hard to drive headphones. That is the combination I'm looking for since DX50 already have an awesome DAC. I don't want the extra blings just pure amp power and neutral/clean SQ in a small/slim package that mirrors DX50.

The power of Pico power on the glacier's form factor, I'll take it in a heartbeat. It maybe a long stretch but we can always dream.

''The power of Pico power on the glacier's form factor!!!''

EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!! HOW MUCH IS IT??? BTW, Headwhacker. LOL

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #5,828 of 18,652
Holy FU*K!! 

I took the battery out and tried just using the power and plugged in my Miracles and the hiss/static was so loud that when I pulled them out of my ear they came off the cable. NEVER EVER TRY IT. 
angry_face.gif

Anyway, I was A-Bing my Korea SGS3 battery to the stock one and honestly, I can't make out the difference. Maybe the stock one has a bigger soundstage lol. 
I'll try to get a Japan one and see how it is. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #5,829 of 18,652
  Thanks Cooper once again and Headwhacker for sharing the impression and idea which I totally agree.

I know I'd pay the DAC part which is quite a redundant, in my case, if I go for Glacier. Since the portability is my second priority for choosing the DX50/amp combo and I could hardly find some other slickly amps like Glacier at the moment. Pico Slim (PS) would be my alternative choice but the fit w/ DX50 just not perfect as the Glacier.

I've already read through some DX50/PS combo owners have praised about its synergy so it may be my own turn to audition the PP, PS and Glacier in person. QS would not be my choice since I haven't have a plan to go balance at the moment and its shape and form factor just make me feel like I'm on board in a star trek shuttle.

Sounds like good reasoning.

(FYI the Quickstep is not actually balanced - I cannot use balanced amps since most of my favorite IEMs cannot be recabled. Its headphone jack accepts the standard 3.5mm TRRS plug but its 'active balanced ground' purportedly provides many of the benefits of a balanced system. You can check the Meier Audio site for a better explanation.)

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #5,830 of 18,652
I'm so conflicted as to which dac and amp to get for the DX50 and to serve as my portable desktop...debating between the Pico Power/Quickstep + something like the meridian explorer or just the Apex Glacier...so many decisions!

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #5,831 of 18,652
I am still looking for the perfect small plug right-angle to right-angle IC to get my rig's profile down. The secret is that it cannot interfere with the headphone jack or volume control on the Pico Power so the format has to be just right.

I'm looking for that as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/688121/wtb-headstage-mini-ic

I actually emailed the Headstage people and they said that they're not selling them on their own right now, but they plan to. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #5,832 of 18,652
Nov 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #5,833 of 18,652
  So you don't want it flexible, just very short? 

Yup. I'll be using dual lock to secure the amp, very effectively just locking it in place. If I'm unable to get one of the Headstage cables I'll make my own using angled Neutriks.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #5,834 of 18,652
Here are my connectors. The heat shrink are like military grade and they incorporate just the 3.5 plug. I have used these for years. I use 99.99995 silver and a couple of other types. 
Ultra low profile and extremely light since all you have is the plug and the wire and a little bit of heavy grade heat shrink.  All connectors are non magnetic. The TRRS to Hirose is really nice to use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back