The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3,886 of 18,652
 The DX50 has a smooth and dark signature, and it sounds very refined.

-Headfonia.

What? I don't think the dx50 is very bright, but I wouldn't call it dark.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,888 of 18,652

well, that is if you can believe everything from any website.... 
cool.gif

Mike's reviews are quite impartial though, he is a retailer for Astell&Kern and iBasso and he didn't pull any punches on either. Not a flattering review on the AK100 as well.
And since he has the resources to compare several units from each batches, it doesn't look that farfetched... besides, QC in China has a habit of being inconsistent =D
now if only there are others here who also bought from different batches, would like to see if there are any other differences.

that's god damn terrible. although the soundstage is really good on mine, I'd hate to learn newer ones are improved :|

which batch were u in? the review did say the newer batch soundstage might be better than the AK100... so would you say the same for your unit? 

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3,889 of 18,652
This is interesting... from Headfonia...
http://www.headfonia.com/the-disruptive-ibasso-dx50/

Apparently the 5th batch has significantly more spacious and open sound compared to the 4th batch.. I'm curious on the difference between the 1st and 5th batch now

Any unit can be built within a specific tolerance range say 5% just as an example. As such every unit is unique to achieve the exact same composition in every dap would require extremely precise equipment which will still be within a tolerance level, might be higher for this case but will never be perfect. Now, I am pretty sure if you pull one unit of every batch, you won't be able to tell from which one it is coming from. So I would not worry about that at all, pretty sure iBasso manufacturing tolerance to be quite acceptable.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #3,890 of 18,652

Mike's reviews are quite impartial though, he is a retailer for Astell&Kern and iBasso and he didn't pull any punches on either. Not a flattering review on the AK100 as well.
And since he has the resources to compare several units from each batches, it doesn't look that farfetched... besides, QC in China has a habit of being inconsistent =D
now if only there are others here who also bought from different batches, would like to see if there are any other differences.

which batch were u in? the review did say the newer batch soundstage might be better than the AK100... so would you say the same for your unit? 

Mine is from the 2nd batch but I wouldn't know - I don't have or heard AK100...

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,891 of 18,652

Maybe I should buy one from each batch.  Since they all sound so different I could label them and then choose the right one for my IEM's and of course, as  mentioned in the review, the sound source.  

If I really needed to tweak the sound I could try one of 10 different batteries, the final adjustment could be made by switching out and testing 5 or 6 IEM cable sets along with 7 separate ear tip foam densities.

Once I got done with my TF10s then I could follow the same procedure to optimize the sound using each model headphone that I own....

:reality mode on:

I call BS and if someone can reliably ID iBasso DX50s produced in various batches, doing bona fide ABX testing, I would be willing to award a prize.

This is a hobby, but at times it seems hard to distinguish it from a pathologic OCD ritual.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,892 of 18,652
  Maybe I should buy one from each batch.  Since they all sound so different I could label them and then choose the right one for my IEM's and of course, as  mentioned in the review, the sound source.  

If I really needed to tweak the sound I could try one of 10 different batteries, the final adjustment could be made by switching out and testing 5 or 6 IEM cable sets along with 7 separate ear tip foam densities.

Once I got done with my TF10s then I could follow the same procedure to optimize the sound using each model headphone that I own....

:reality mode on:

I call BS and if someone can reliably ID iBasso DX50s produced in various batches, doing bona fide ABX testing, I would be willing to award a prize.

This is a hobby, but at times it seems hard to distinguish it from a pathologic OCD ritual.

it's possible for QC issues to differ for different batches.

on a side note, yes besides changing battery for the DX50 did you know if you paint/dye it in gold you get a richer and deeper sound? paint it in blue and you get a more airy and wider signature while painting it in red gives it a more aggressive and punchier sound...

*reality mode off*  =P

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #3,893 of 18,652

on a side note, yes besides changing battery for the DX50 did you know if you paint/dye it in gold you get a richer and deeper sound? paint it in blue and you get a more airy and wider signature while painting it in red gives it a more aggressive and punchier sound...

*reality mode off*  =P

Paint it in brown and you get a s***ty sound I guess.
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,895 of 18,652
  Paint it in brown and you get a s***ty sound I guess.
wink.gif

lol, and to think the brown would actually look classy on the DX50... classy piece of s**t :wink:

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3,896 of 18,652

*reality mode off*  =P

I think you are referring to the Apple iPhone 5S, the gold sounds so much better compared to the silver or black. :wink:

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,898 of 18,652
Thank you.

The Pico Slim is VERY small... I had no idea. Good to know. :rolleyes:
Nice job on the cable. Pretty compact portable rig.

Thanks, the Pico Slim is the only amp I feel it's not bulking up the rig, mind you using the DX50 alone is another option. I find the slim almost like a work of art, so tiny, work well and looks damn good. The case is so precisely cut, it's a beauty.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #3,899 of 18,652
Reporting about the hiss: 
I just received my BA4f cIEMs from cosmic ears, and there is hiss. It's not as bad as with the hisoundaudio rocoo p dap, but it's noticeable. What's quite strange, and I've read this before, but the hiss significantly reduces when I put the gain on high! So the hiss might get less with better firmware? Maybe?

Anyway, I haven't tested this setup in bed just yet, so I can't really comment on how bad the hiss really is. It certainly isn't very noticeable on high volumes (with music playing that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back