The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,531 of 18,652
Been listening to mine all afternoon and it's not skipped a beat

Think I may have also sorted all my apostrophe issues as well so no music being added to the end of an album or no refusing to play

Really enjoying the dx50 and I think with a couple of future firmware tweaks this little marvel can only get better

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,532 of 18,652
Just posted my DX50 for sale if anyone is interested.  It is from the 2nd batch and is in MINT condition with all of the original packaging and accessories.  Decided I like ease of use over audiophile sound (I know, blasphemy right?).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681745/ibasso-dx50-mint-condition

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,533 of 18,652
Sep 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,536 of 18,652
Finally got to spend some time with my DX50 this morning.  My initial impressions out of the box were pretty good but of course the UI was kind of a disappointment.  Being a DX100 owner I was hoping Ibasso would have learned from their mistakes with ID3 tags, artwork, etc.  I updated the firmware on Thursday and went over what I could (I left out any 24bit tracks due to firmware problems as noted) this morning.  I used my 1964 Ears Triples CIEMs  and Senn Momentums to review.

With the Momentums I found slight detail upgrade from a cowan D2+ and a bit more over my Iphone 5.  Well balanced as I think the Momentums plays down the treble.  The biggest difference was in the soundstage and seperation.  Not as good as the DX100 but blows the D2+ and obviously the Iphone out of the water.

With the CIEMs I could hear better detail than with the Momentums however, the midrange seems to take a back seat to the bass and upper.

I won't go over all the various UI problems with the 1.1.5 release as I believe they have been noted here already.  I did use the OTG paired with both a 64g micro sd card reader and a 500g portable hard drive (Toshiba Canvio).  I never did get the 500g to display but I might not have waited long enough to have it load up.  The micro sd card was formated to Fat32 but playback was a bit hit and miss with some songs having slight pauses when played back.  Neither seem to pose a solution to the limited drive space of the DX50.

Listened to Built To Spill - Keep it Like a Secret (MP3 320kbps) and Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone (FLAC from K2HD mastered CD).

My attraction to the DX50 was portability and ability to play all 24bit tracks.  I know Ibasso will get this right so I will hold off final judgement until than.  For now, just on a sound basis, this is a nice little player but I do not think it's audiophile grade especially in comparison with the DX100.  I was hoping for the same sound signature but designed for CIEM's and low impedence headphones.  The plan was keep the DX100 for around the house paired with Senn HD650 and the DX50 with CIEMs for travel.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,537 of 18,652

Waah?! Is that so? I must've missed it. I know someone said their package via EMS didn't LEAVE China because of batteries... Hmm...
I myself payed $17 via DHL. $14 in brokerage, etc. fees, and $3 in tax lol.
Fingers crossed!

Wow I've totally lucked out on fees. I haven't gotten charged customs fees yet....

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,540 of 18,652
Is there a fee when shipping from china or japan to the lower 48?

It depends on the paper work.   ibasso only declared a value of 20 dollars and claimed it as usb soundcard. when it was sent to me in the us.   It could also depend on whether your package gets opened and inspected.  no fees or duties for me though.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,541 of 18,652
Which better in sq, DX50 or AK100?

We should be clear about what you mean by SQ.   Most people will answer this question based on their like or dislike of the device's sound signature.   That is different from the device's actual SQ.  For instance, the AK100's SQ is probably better than that of the DX50 - less distortion, more clarity, less crosstalk and noise.  However, many people do not like the sound signature of the AK.

As for the sound signatures of the two devices, the AK is brighter but the treble is cleaner and more pleasant.   The bass is tight and clean.   The DX is murkier but delivers a fuller sound.   It also has a lot of power and will drive a lot more phones easily.  The bass and mids are more dominant here.   There are some questions about the treble of the DX though.  Many people found it to be harsh and too loud.   However, the new firmware appears to have dampened it down.  I prefer a more complete and accurate presentation with more brightness as long as the treble is clear and coherent, which was not the case with the DX.

In general, I still prefer the AK for its clean sound and its real portability.   The strength of the DX is its value for the price.  The sound quality is good and it is very versatile.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,542 of 18,652

It depends on the paper work.   ibasso only declared a value of 20 dollars and claimed it as usb soundcard. when it was sent to me in the us.   It could also depend on whether your package gets opened and inspected.  no fees or duties for me though.

Does it make you feel bad when you are obviously not buying a $20 USD USB soundcard?  When I sent my DB2 back for exchange I was told to declare it as the same.  It bothered me a little bit.  Probably why I would not make a good politician.  I have trouble with the "shades of gray" way of looking at things.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iBasso products, and their customer service has been top notch.  Just a little uncomfortable with the customs fraud aspect of my interaction and purchases.

So after seeing 20 or 30 posts mentioned it, Ithought I would wade in.  Personally I can turn a blind eye.  It's hard to turn a blind eye when I am constantly reminded of the problem in the forum.

So if I never saw another mention of iBasso, customs, $20 USD, USB sound card, etc. I couldn't be happier.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,543 of 18,652

Thanks, I want to be prepared for when I get mine. I sold my Cowon D3 to help justify this new purchase. Hopefully it was a good decision, I'm sure it will be.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,544 of 18,652

Does it make you feel bad when you are obviously not buying a $20 USD USB soundcard?  When I sent my DB2 back for exchange I was told to declare it as the same.  It bothered me a little bit.  Probably why I would not make a good politician.  I have trouble with the "shades of gray" way of looking at things.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iBasso products, and their customer service has been top notch.  Just a little uncomfortable with the customs fraud aspect of my interaction and purchases.

So after seeing 20 or 30 posts mentioned it, Ithought I would wade in.  Personally I can turn a blind eye.  It's hard to turn a blind eye when I am constantly reminded of the problem in the forum.

So if I never saw another mention of iBasso, customs, $20 USD, USB sound card, etc. I couldn't be happier.

I understand what you are saying.  I think people should pay their fair share in taxes.   On the other hand, duties are intended as barriers to free trade.   I think people should have the right to buy products overseas without governments inflating prices to protect their local industries.  It would also be better if duties could be paid directly between the consumer and the taxing body - and not require brokerage fees when dealing with private shippers.  Basically, they can hold your package hostage until you pay whatever fee they want you to pay.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,545 of 18,652
It really bothers me not. In the US our tax dollars are wasted on war and lining the pockets of those with influence. That is what bothers me not someone getting a break with their hard earned money.

Looking forward to the DX50 soon.that doesn't bother me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back