The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,322 of 18,652

1. The amp section was chosen based on Fiio's house sound. Listen to any Fiio device, and you'll know who they are. If we want to debate SQ, how about comparing the X3 and DX50's respective line-outs, which most people seem to resort to on the DX50 anyway.

2. In the dozens of pages of the X3 thread, has anyone given the indication that their X3 has suffered build issues?

3. So because the X3's USB DAC dunction hasn't yet been implemented, the firmware is half baked like the DX50's? That's a HORRIBLE argument. Again, headphone jack and coaxial for navigation, entirely missing files, skippy playback, etc...all this is in the same bracket as the future feature that the X3 will have?

Sorenslim's argument was invalid, and that's no personal attack. The DX50 is simply not worth anything over the X3 except for the button layout, which I would prefer.

I won't be answering to anyone else, as I'm being put in a position where I seem to be making an argument for the X3.

well you are defending it, there's no denying. Is anyone accusing you for something because of that? no, definitely not. I for example, feel like that DX50 is worth more that's why I went with it, even though I've had very positive experience with Fiio E6. you could say that I'm defending my point of view, and there's nothing wrong eith it IMO>

Also this is internet forums and people here may take some of your arguments close to heart if you aren't cautious enough with your words. to be honest I can't still decide what you meant by this:

"I'm going to ignore all your points, as they do not befit the intellect of one who has gone through puberty."

that's bordering to something personal, and made me feel a little awkward.

anyways, back to the topic - wouldn't it be the easiest if someone actually measured the capabilities of both DAPS to end these arguments on which has stronger AMP section>?

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #1,324 of 18,652

that's bordering to something personal, and made me feel a little awkward.

Are you trying to get me in trouble? 
confused_face(1).gif
 I was responding to this

Someone's a bit jealous :|

I don't usually want to get into argumentations, but seeing as you defend X3 on all fronts let me ask you something:

1 - what are those "indications"? could you please elaborate?
2 - housing material doesn't mean **** if the fit and finnish isn't good. IIRC fiio had dust under the screen glass :)
3 - it may or may not. as well as iBasoo may or may not.
4 - ok, that's good. 2 stage vs 3 stage. :)
5 - my skull bones are also replaceable, they just require some meddling inside my head.
6 - well, I've got nothing to say here. it IS kinda weird point...
7 - so does DX50. BOTH have bugs (admittedly, x3 after ALL THOSE UPDATES has less at this point)
8 - wish iBAsoo did that. That's a good marketing and helps customers a lot.
9 - yeah, we get it.

Please don't try to play the victim here.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,326 of 18,652
$%#%#%!!!!!  Touch buttons failed.   Tried hard reset, recovery, etc.   Touch would still not work.  Tried to reapply update.  Finally, after rebooting for around an hour, touch works again.  Thanks ibasso!   You have delivered the worst experience ever for me with any product!  Congratulations!

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,327 of 18,652
  Well, got my 2nd batch DX50 yesterday and played with it a bit last night... I am not a happy camper!  It looks awesome and I love the fact that I might not have to carry around my iPod & E7K stack anymore but the software needs some serious work.  It would seem an update is coming so I'm not writing off my DX50 just yet, but this thing is WAY too finicky about tags and I hate how even when using directory mode, if I go back it starts me out at the top again and I have to scroll through the whole list again.  This is exacerbated by the sometimes touch display that instead of just flicking up the list, instead selects a folder and then when I back out of that mistake... I'm back at the top!!!

This bug is my worst enemy right now :D
(this and the one or two files the DX50 refuses to play)

Wow it took longer for this X3 vs. DX50 argument to come up (and borderline escalate) then I thought.
Good job Head-Fi!

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,329 of 18,652
  1. The amp section was chosen based on Fiio's house sound. Listen to any Fiio device, and you'll know who they are. If we want to debate SQ, how about comparing the X3 and DX50's respective line-outs, which most people seem to resort to on the DX50 anyway.

2. In the dozens of pages of the X3 thread, has anyone given the indication that their X3 has suffered build issues?

3. So because the X3's USB DAC dunction hasn't yet been implemented, the firmware is half baked like the DX50's? That's a HORRIBLE argument. Again, headphone jack and coaxial for navigation, entirely missing files, skippy playback, etc...all this is in the same bracket as the future feature that the X3 will have?

Sorenslim's argument was invalid, and that's no personal attack. The DX50 is simply not worth anything over the X3 except for the button layout, which I would prefer.

I won't be answering to anyone else, as I'm being put in a position where I seem to be making an argument for the X3.

• Even if the X3 is warm for a reason, the fact that its amp section is more powerful doesn't automatically make it more expensive.
    As for the line-outs, I'd like to read how they stack up as much as anyone. The fact that the DX50's line-out is affected by volume is kinda scary. But given that people enjoy the iBasso's pairing with pretty respectable amps like some ALOs and UHA-6s MKII, I don't think its LO should be that awful.
  • There'll be no proof links but a lot of people actually said that the X3's build is OK but there are a few creaks and flimsiness here and there. James himself admitted that because a lot of the X3's design was made before E17 and other stuff, the build quality is not as nice. So, not really issues, but it seems the iBasso feels more premium.
  • I agree, jacking your coax for navigation is pretty sick, and not in a good way. Again, yes, the DX50's FW is half-baked. But it's supposed to get better reasonably fast. Anyway, mentioning the X3's glitches and omissions was probably a bad idea on my part, 'cause it's beside the point. The point is, DX50 is still in open beta, but its value shouldn't be judged by its current state, unless you're not planning to have it for more than a month or two.

Anyway, value is subjective, so making arguments as to whatever something is worth is a bit like judging stuff solely by specs and measurements. To me, the DX50 doesn't look like a ripoff at all.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,331 of 18,652
Wraith13 did you update your player?
As there was a recent update.

No not yet, I have been digging through the last 30 pages of posts since I last check the thread.  I'm going to do that now and see how things go.  While reading these pages it hasn't had a single problem and instead has been an awesome little machine.  I've been listening to one of my Def Leppard albums and heard a detail that I have never heard before at the beginning of 'Tear it Down', that was kind of cool.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,332 of 18,652
  The point is, DX50 is still in open beta, but its value shouldn't be judged by it's current state, unless you're not planning to have it for more than a month or two.

^+1
Exactly what I am thinking.
The SQ of the DX50 is really not just a bit better than the SQ of my old Cowon J3. In fact, I think it is a lot better.
Some half-baked FW won't make me sell this wonderful DAP again. That would be pretty weak IMO. (no idea why, but I have the feeling that my unit is running a bit more stable than others...)
I'm sure iBasso will get everything sorted out in a timely manner and until then...guess I won't be able to play 100 out of my 4000+ tracks. Real shame.

Am I a horrible person for buying a flawed product and not throwing it away after just one day? If so, I'm fine with that.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,333 of 18,652

Hm. Not to doubt your words, as I haven't touch neither of the players myself, but you're probably the first person I see that says that the DX50 is flimsier than the X3.

thats because this is the ibasso dx50 thread and shiny things tend to blind headfiers.  who knows though, i guess flimsiness can be subjective as well.  I have both players (just sold the x3) and i can only tell you what my hands and eyes tell my brain 

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,335 of 18,652
"X3 actually works" is a funny quote.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway the DX50 amp section is more powerful, atleast on paper. It does 9V p-p while the Fiio X3 does something like 8.3V p-p. It's close and probably doesn't make a huge difference but there it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back