The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,171 of 18,652
I received mine today (Batch 2), listening to it at the moment. My previous DAP was a Cowon V5, an A3 before that, and a Sansa Clip+ for ultra-portable, IEMs are Westone 2s. I was a bit worried about losing the BBE suite from Cowon but was pleasantly surprised with just how well the DX50 sounds without any adjustments - better than the Cowon with FX, and far better than any of them 'naked'. So far I've just been running some 24bit FLACs and I'm loving the clarity and soundstage, though I did notice some oddness in the soundfield on some of the Civil Wars / Barton's Hollow tracks if I wasn't dealing with earphones I would have put it down to phase issues.
Build quality is great, as someone else mentioned it is sturdy yet lighter than you would think, the physical buttons have a very solid feel also.
There were some earlier comments on the screen protector, I did receive one with the unit (inside the main packaging).
Customs wise - no charge, it was marked as a USB soundcard.

Anyway, I bumped up the bass a little as the 2s are not great naturally in that dept. and am loving it so far, well worth the money.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,172 of 18,652
  Got mine.  Seems to work fine so far and certainly sound better then my ipod.

Flash drive works fine

The DX50 powers up both my WD Passport and my Toshiba Canvio (which is the one I really want to use with the DX50).  The drive does not read in the DX50 though.  Just a blank screen.  Any suggestions or give it up?  Firmware issue?  Does it matter if its formatted NTFS or FAT32?  I believe the drive comes formatted NTFS..

DX50's USB OTG may not supply enough power to your portable USB3 hard drives. You will need an OTG Y cable and a USB battery. I have not seen a suitable OTG Y cable, you may need to DIY or use adapters. RAFA may try something in the near future, you can keep in touch with him or me.

As for hard drive format, FAT32 is your best bet. However, I was under the impression that DX50 can read exFAT (default format of 64GB microSDXC) directly, so it may read NTFS as well. And yes, NTFS is the default format of your hard drives.[/quote]

Your are right and wrong. My tests just conducted show that FAT32 (we both knew it) and exFAT (you knew it) are both recognized but not NTFS. I also noticed that the it created the LOST.DIR in Fat32 only, so Fat32 is your better bet.

I guess it makes sense exFAT is an extension of FAT32. :)

By the way works marvel with a USB key, enough power from the poor little DX50 :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,173 of 18,652
Got mine. Sound is ok, let him burn-in time.
Using with Etymotic ER4P.

Firmware is crap, sorry for my English but i didn't find any better word. Waiting for a stable version.
Body is ok 85 from 100 points, interface is good too.

First impressions that it is very good player, but i like iHiFi760sound more.
I will try to make little review later, waiting for burn-in time. I've got some sound changes even after couple of hours.

From 760, X3, CK4, iBasso DX50 is the best in terms of device.
CK4+(AD8397+good caps) sounds better, but DX50 has more microdetails. 760 sounds better too, like modified Teclast T51 without any problems, but it is too heavy and bulky in terms of device.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,174 of 18,652

Your are right and wrong. My tests just conducted show that FAT32 (we both knew it) and exFAT (you knew it) are both recognized but not NTFS. I also noticed that the it created the LOST.DIR in Fat32 only, so Fat32 is your better bet.

I guess it makes sense exFAT is an extension of FAT32. :)

By the way works marvel with a USB key, enough power from the poor little DX50 :)

Well, I went to go format my hard drive to FAT32 and it doesn't show up as an option.  Only NTFS and exFAT.

Should I just go ahead and choose exFAT?  Does it matter as it relates to the LOST.DIR?

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,176 of 18,652
Well, I went to go format my hard drive to FAT32 and it doesn't show up as an option.  Only NTFS and exFAT.

Should I just go ahead and choose exFAT?  Does it matter as it relates to the LOST.DIR?

What op system are you running XP? :D

Go for the exFat if that is the only thing available but if you peruse the net you should be able to find formatting utilities that will use fat32. I used Windows 7, don't like 8 :wink:

"The lost.dir folder is a system folder. Its a place where the Android OS places files that are recovered during a system boot up (when you turn on the device). If you were saving files and suddenly the the dap shuts off, or maybe you pull the SD card while the files are being written to it - the system places copies of those files there so it can try and recover them on the next boot. You normally wont find anything there at all.

It is ok to delete whatever is there, and you can delete the folder as well - however it will be recreated by the system next time you turn on the dap." <-- got this from the net

So I take it back, exFat or Fat32 are both fine, I most likely triggered the LOST.DIR folder when I took the USB key out of the OTG before formatting it for Fat32.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,177 of 18,652
Sadly, neither FAT32 or exFAT worked. 

Is it possible that the drive isn't getting enough power even though the indicator light is nice and bright as if it is functioning normally?

Windows 7 by the way.  If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,178 of 18,652
  Sadly, neither FAT32 or exFAT worked.

Is it possible that the drive isn't getting enough power even though the indicator light is nice and bright as if it is functioning normally?

Windows 7 by the way.  If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

It's very possible because some drives need quite a bit of power to run. It is recommended to use a wall charger powered drive when connecting to the DX. I can't say for sure but maybe even this may make the DX battery life to shorten dramatically. I use an USB drive with the highest available size without breaking the bank (128Gb are available) for portability and will try to get a self powered drive for home usage where I'll use my second battery when the power will run down so I don't have to wait for a full battery charge. One can always fiddle around creating special cables that will split power and signal from the dap USB to the otg drive and a wall charger.

>>> Windows 7 by the way.  If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

Yeah exactly :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,180 of 18,652
I found this compact OTG on the net as you can see I was able to find another use of the dx50, as a flash light
biggrin.gif

With that color I am thinking about going to Las Vegas.
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,181 of 18,652
I already have a USB OTG cable.

Maybe get one of these and a small USB battery.

Definitely starting to encroach into not-too-portable territory with all this crap.  I too might just get a 128GB flash and call it a day until bigger memory prices come down from the stratosphere. Surely the biggest rip-off in consumer goods in terms of cost to make:cost to buy.  Followed closely by inkjet cartridges.  I mean, come on.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,183 of 18,652
  I already have a USB OTG cable.

Maybe get one of these and a small USB battery.

Definitely starting to encroach into not-too-portable territory with all this crap.  I too might just get a 128GB flash and call it a day until bigger memory prices come down from the stratosphere. Surely the biggest rip-off in consumer goods in terms of cost to make:cost to buy.  Followed closely by inkjet cartridges.  I mean, come on.

OK, I see the concept of a 512GB or 1TB SSD or something like that.  The advantages are clear with the attendant hassle of a battery,OTG cable, maybe a little enclosure, etc.  

I don't see the use of the USB key, since the SDXC card price to storage ratio advantage over a USB key is between 2:1 to 4:1.  Assuming that you could getthe SSD to work with a battery and special cable, even then the price to storage ratio is 2:1 to 3:1 over the USB key.

So why pay more and have the added bulk of an OTG cable, something dangling that needs to be secured, etc.  Help me out, what am I missing?

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,184 of 18,652
It's very possible because some drives need quite a bit of power to run. It is recommended to use a wall charger powered drive when connecting to the DX. I can't say for sure but maybe even this may make the DX battery life to shorten dramatically. I use an USB drive with the highest available size without breaking the bank (128Gb are available) for portability and will try to get a self powered drive for home usage where I'll use my second battery when the power will run down so I don't have to wait for a full battery charge. One can always fiddle around creating special cables that will split power and signal from the dap USB to the otg drive and a wall charger.

>>> Windows 7 by the way.  If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

Yeah exactly :)

If someone else has tried a self-powered hard drive with DX50's OTG, please report back here. So far, we had one report showing that DX50 took 3 mins to read 500GB. I guess with external power and fat32 format, 1TB should work as well?

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,185 of 18,652
I am not so sure I understand your price to storage ratio thinking, you can get a 128gb usb key easily for around 60$, an SDXC microSD is around 40 for 64GB and you can't find anything beyond that. a dandling otg with a small usb isn't bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back