The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Apr 9, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #16,756 of 18,652
After far too much deliberation (Ibasso? Fiio? Sony?), I spotted an 'open box' DX50 yesterday at such a tempting price that I ordered it there and then (a testament to the combined power of the internet and shiraz...) Should arrive in the next couple of days - oh, the excitement.

The DX50 will hopefully replace my trusty (but weary) Ipod Video, which has had almost every bit of it replaced (I even put a 160 GB drive in it) over the years but refuses to die.

I probably should have asked these questions before taking the plunge, but what the heck...

1. I really like the connectivity options and will make use of the line out into my main stereo rig. Just curious to know what people think of the sound quality when used this way (or via the digital output into a DAC) - are we talking about mid-range CD player territory or is it below that?

2. If I were to connect a 1TB portable drive full of music via OTG, would the DX50 fall over and splutter?

3. I just want to say 'Hooray - a new toy on the way!' 

4. Years ago, I used Rockbox on Iriver and Sansa players. Last time I looked, RB didn't play hi-res files, so am I right in assuming that the DX50 will dual boot to use the stock firmware for hi-res and Rockbox for everything else or is it not as simple as that?

5. Finally, if I drag and drop folders from my Itunes library straight onto the DX50, am I likely to have any tagging/album art issues? (my music is well tagged, but with Itunes in mind).

Thanks in advance.

Did I mention that I'm very excited? 

(Pauses to look out of the window again, in case delivery man should be standing at the door...nope...)

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #16,757 of 18,652
1. I use the digital out and it sounds just as good as any other component I have tried.

2. Haven't tried myself, but 2TB is the limit.

3. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

4. Yes there is a dual boot FW.

5. Never used itunes so can't comment, but the DX50 is quite picky with the tags if used in library mode.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #16,758 of 18,652
  After far too much deliberation (Ibasso? Fiio? Sony?), I spotted an 'open box' DX50 yesterday at such a tempting price that I ordered it there and then (a testament to the combined power of the internet and shiraz...) Should arrive in the next couple of days - oh, the excitement.

The DX50 will hopefully replace my trusty (but weary) Ipod Video, which has had almost every bit of it replaced (I even put a 160 GB drive in it) over the years but refuses to die.

I probably should have asked these questions before taking the plunge, but what the heck...

1. I really like the connectivity options and will make use of the line out into my main stereo rig. Just curious to know what people think of the sound quality when used this way (or via the digital output into a DAC) - are we talking about mid-range CD player territory or is it below that?

2. If I were to connect a 1TB portable drive full of music via OTG, would the DX50 fall over and splutter?

4. Years ago, I used Rockbox on Iriver and Sansa players. Last time I looked, RB didn't play hi-res files, so am I right in assuming that the DX50 will dual boot to use the stock firmware for hi-res and Rockbox for everything else or is it not as simple as that?

5. Finally, if I drag and drop folders from my Itunes library straight onto the DX50, am I likely to have any tagging/album art issues? (my music is well tagged, but with Itunes in mind).

Thanks in advance.

(Pauses to look out of the window again, in case delivery man should be standing at the door...nope...)

Enjoy your new device! :) I am very happy with mine as you can see in my post.
Subjectively did a comparison with a DX 90 (2.1.8) with my dx50(1.8.0) and a X5 today, and came out with dx50 fitting me best. Used beyer dt 770/80 and found dx50 the most engaging with Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold! YAY! 
1. I like the Line Out into my O2 -> dt 770/80 or T1, warm and sweet! It's the tone I like, and hard to distinguish from dx 90 in my A/B
2. I used a 4GB one with OTG and it works fine after rescanning the library. I prefer to use small libraries and shift songs when I need them.

Yes, I can see that you're very excited! I'm excited for you too!

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #16,759 of 18,652

It will work fine as long as the drive has it's own power supply. Most of the smaller portables pull their power from the USB port and the DX-50 doesn't supply enough. The bigger desktop drives usually are powered via a wall-wart or something and they will work.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #16,760 of 18,652
  1. I use the digital out and it sounds just as good as any other component I have tried.

2. Haven't tried myself, but 2TB is the limit.

3. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

4. Yes there is a dual boot FW.

5. Never used itunes so can't comment, but the DX50 is quite picky with the tags if used in library mode.

Enjoy your new device! :) I am very happy with mine as you can see in my post.
Subjectively did a comparison with a DX 90 (2.1.8) with my dx50(1.8.0) and a X5 today, and came out with dx50 fitting me best. Used beyer dt 770/80 and found dx50 the most engaging with Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold! YAY! 
1. I like the Line Out into my O2 -> dt 770/80 or T1, warm and sweet! It's the tone I like, and hard to distinguish from dx 90 in my A/B
2. I used a 4GB one with OTG and it works fine after rescanning the library. I prefer to use small libraries and shift songs when I need them.

Yes, I can see that you're very excited! I'm excited for you too!

It will work fine as long as the drive has it's own power supply. Most of the smaller portables pull their power from the USB port and the DX-50 doesn't supply enough. The bigger desktop drives usually are powered via a wall-wart or something and they will work.

Many thanks - really encouraged by your replies.

I suppose the tagging will be about trying and seeing. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Cheers

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #16,761 of 18,652

Thanks in advance.

Rockbox still doesn't support hi-res files. It can support 48kHz, but you have to choose between 48 and 44.1kHz. Although it is a dual-boot it isn't quite that simple. To change between the 2 you need to restart your device. There is no seem less way to transition between the two.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #16,763 of 18,652
Rockbox still doesn't support hi-res files. It can support 48kHz, but you have to choose between 48 and 44.1kHz. Although it is a dual-boot it isn't quite that simple. To change between the 2 you need to restart your device. There is no seem less way to transition between the two.

I see. That's unfortunate.

I'll probably stick with the stock firmware for the time being then, as hi-res is one of the reasons for getting the DX50 in the first place.

Cheers

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #16,764 of 18,652
Not sure if this is the right place, but I am asking anyways.   I have a black and red leather case for my dx50, but it is too bulky for me to carry around in the summer and I do not want the front or back to get scratched up with daily use being in a pocket.  What do you dx50 and dx90 owners use for a case?  I was thinking of buying an invisisheild and trying to cut it to fit over the whole front and back of the player.  Or are there any other slim cases that aren't silicone? Thanks.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #16,765 of 18,652
1.8.0 still has issues dealing with .cue files, which sucks because all of my redbook files are in IMG+CUE format

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #16,766 of 18,652
Not sure if this is the right place, but I am asking anyways.   I have a black and red leather case for my dx50, but it is too bulky for me to carry around in the summer and I do not want the front or back to get scratched up with daily use being in a pocket.  What do you dx50 and dx90 owners use for a case?  I was thinking of buying an invisisheild and trying to cut it to fit over the whole front and back of the player.  Or are there any other slim cases that aren't silicone? Thanks.

The only other cases I even know of are leather and I don't know how slim they are.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #16,768 of 18,652

Just to jump in on this...I use a 1TB drive with my DX50, while connected to a portable battery pack...those ones you use for phone backup and it works great. The only issue I have is that when connecting all three together via bands it looks like some form of explosive device and so I decided not to take the thing on vacation with me due to airport security possibly flagging it. Plus the thought of pulling it out of my case on a airplane made me nervous :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #16,769 of 18,652
The DX50 arrived today.

I wasn't expecting the bundled silicone sleeve (nice touch - was expecting a pouch). The player feels really good in the hand, the touchscreen is very responsive and it sounds terrific.

I bet I'm not the first person to plug in headphones and wonder why my DX50 isn't making any music - unexpected place to put the digital output!

Anyway, no issues to report so far. I upgraded to the latest firmware (it had 1.5 on arrival).

Only thing I'd like is the ability to make the album art bigger, but hey...

Oh, and this little player packs quite a punch when driving headphones. It has driven everything I've thrown at it so far with headroom to spare (and I never moved the gain from medium).

Very happy indeed!

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #16,770 of 18,652
Question for the folks that purchased one of the aftermarket silicone cases that are thicker than the stock one that comes with the player (colors are black, blue, red, and green): Did you find that the thicker silicone case reduced or eliminated the static electricity that is commonly reported with the player?

I've had the static electricity problem regularly ...it causes intermittent intereference noise through the headphones & gives you a little shock sometimes when handling the player after it occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back