The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #14,176 of 18,652
My problem is the port is a bit tight.  I always have to work the USB out of it carefully.  

If all your cables are used/old, it still might be that.  Try a new cable (they are certainly cheap these days) to be sure?

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #14,177 of 18,652
My problem is the port is a bit tight.  I always have to work the USB out of it carefully.  

If all your cables are used/old, it still might be that.  Try a new cable (they are certainly cheap these days) to be sure?

Yeah, and it appears in my case that the port wobbled up and down..

The cables I've tried all work with my phone as well as my Clip Zip.. Dont really wanna send it off however.. :L

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #14,179 of 18,652
  What file system has your card formatted to? NTFS, FAT32, FAT or exFAT? Maybe problem lies there? Try to format to FAT32 and try again. It may have been formatted to to unsuitable file system as stock. Give it a try.

It's formatted to exFAT, which is what my 64GB card is. (Perhaps exFAT doesn't work well on larger cards?)

Will format to FAT32 and see what happens.

UPDATE: Reformatting did not solve the problem. Looks like it's a bad card.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #14,181 of 18,652
Did not seem to be an issue before on the cards.  I use 32gb cards (FAT32)(SDHC) & 64gb cards (exFat)(SDXC) and have never had any probs whatsoever with the DX50.

The DX50 is supposed to hold up to 2TB cards (SDXC) (whenever that time comes)(Let's focus on 128 and 256gb first..lol).  Why would you need to format to FAT32 with the DX50.

Now, the Sansas (Clip+, Zip and Fuze) hold up to 32gb (SDHC) so you have to format a bigger card to FAT32 to use it.

32gb and lower are SDHC and higher are SDXC.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #14,182 of 18,652
Just to update, my DX50 with firmware 1.5.0 plays fine with another 8gb card I tried, so the freezing problems must have something to do with the 64gb Sandisk Ultra microsd card which was formatted with EXFAT. I just did a DOS format to FAT32 and received a message saying it doesn't support this size.  I've previously tried the SDFormatter program mentioned above as well as EASEUS partition master, but still not sure if it's a compatibility issue or a bad card.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #14,183 of 18,652
  Just to update, my DX50 with firmware 1.5.0 plays fine with another 8gb card I tried, so the freezing problems must have something to do with the 64gb Sandisk Ultra microsd card which was formatted with EXFAT. I just did a DOS format to FAT32 and received a message saying it doesn't support this size.  I've previously tried the SDFormatter program mentioned above as well as EASEUS partition master, but still not sure if it's a compatibility issue or a bad card.

All 64gb cards come formatted in exFAT (anything above 32gb).  You should have no issues whatsoever in reference to size or format.  The DX50 handles them all.  I have like 10 cards (32gb, 16gb, 64gb) and you just plug them in and rock it.  Simple.  Must have been a bad card. (Yes, I have transferred files with the card in the DX50 or from a card reader).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

If I ever would want to put my 64gb card into any of my Sansas, I would have to re-format to FAT32.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #14,184 of 18,652
Wait- the cable wobble in the port or the port wobble in the housing?  If the latter, I guess you'll need to send it back.

I believe the port is wobbling. I guess I'll have to send kt back eventually, although I'll rather be busy this week..And repairs are free of charge under warranty, or am I looking at a certain price point?

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #14,185 of 18,652
I think warranty for a year, all manufacturing problems.  A loose port should be a manufacturing defect, so I would expect it to be covered.  You may have to pay for shipping to them, I would expect them to pay return shipping.

Basso products and accessories are to be free from malfunctions and defects in both materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Buyer should retain the original dated sales receipt or the warranty card. Proof of the date of purchase or the warranty card will be required with any request for warranty repair.

This warranty does not cover batteries, and is void when failure is due to: damage from water, modification/alteration, unauthorized service, misuse, abuse, use with incompatible accessories, or when failure occurs outside of the one year duration of this warranty.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #14,186 of 18,652
  I think warranty for a year, all manufacturing problems.  A loose port should be a manufacturing defect, so I would expect it to be covered.  You may have to pay for shipping to them, I would expect them to pay return shipping.

Basso products and accessories are to be free from malfunctions and defects in both materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Buyer should retain the original dated sales receipt or the warranty card. Proof of the date of purchase or the warranty card will be required with any request for warranty repair.

This warranty does not cover batteries, and is void when failure is due to: damage from water, modification/alteration, unauthorized service, misuse, abuse, use with incompatible accessories, or when failure occurs outside of the one year duration of this warranty.

Alright, thanks. Very much appreciate your help. :) 

I'll contact iBasso when I'm free about this and see how it will work out.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #14,187 of 18,652
On second thoughts, could it possibly ever be a FW type of issue? Because when I use my nexus 4 charging cable, my DX50 picks it up and displays a charging icon in the top right corner, but it doesn't pop up with the "Connected" message so I can transfer my music over, etc?

Only bringing this up now, because my DX50 was fine within the past few weeks, if not months, with a slightly wobbly port, which I think has been like that for a while, and it hasn't seem to affect much?

Scratch that. I'm sure it's the wobbly port now. Certainly can't be a firmware issue.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #14,188 of 18,652
Disclaimer: Not an audiophile
I may be too late for this but after reading the thread I finally decided to get the new fw 1.5.0! Ibasso nailed it! IMO Music separation is a lot better, spacing in between instruments can be defined now compared to 1.2.8,  sound stage is definitely wider...but what I love the most are -- the bass: fuller, depth: reminds of studio v, lows: it can register to lower notes that I am not hearing before (almost close to DX90). Mmm very nice! I think highs seem to be thinner but has better quality on it.
Dark? I don't think so..the dark sounding DAP for me IMO is Fiio x3 which I didn't like. I actually think it is a bit warm. This might be all be placebo but I am enjoying this new FW with my Shure SE535.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #14,189 of 18,652
These terms for types of sounds have interested me. I like reading the glossary. I'm still not sure how to differentiate between warm and dark..:). But being a bass head myself I'm going to become much more familiar w this.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #14,190 of 18,652

These are just my own personal impressions:

Sound Unlocked is more dynamic and more lively but it has less neutral frequency response than the RockBox. It has more sibilant highs and a heavier bottom end, so basically a bit more "v-shaped"  a bit more lively and a bit more dynamic, thus it is less analytical and flat. I personally don't find the RB pleasurable no matter how analytical and neutral it is. SU has signature that is closer to the original FW, but still better than it in several aspects.

Cheers!

I'll add some technical details about Rockbox and its "neutral" sound.
Rockbox uses same sound driver that mango player uses.
Sound driver loads some soundfx android libs.
When you delete soundfx libs then rockbox sound would be different.
When you enable irr bandwidth then rockbox sound would be different.
When you change something in sound driver layer then mango sound and also rockbox sound would be different from their previous state.  

All described above only for DX50 Rockbox implementation.

BTW,
  First question - is this purely due to the hardware/Wolfson or is it due to the Mango? 

I will re-answer to this question if I implement some basic sound driver for our platform :) 

Hi

So where does .wav fit in? With only Lossless enabled in the options on Sound Unlocked 1.2.1  .wav files do not play.

Could you add .wav to the lossless files able to be played?

Thanks

.wav files have no independent component, they should not be decoded as you may guess, but an information about sample rate, channels, etc is retrieved with help of FFmpeg component.
Sorry :)

Suprisingly the boot up options screen will not show up with your line out cable connected!

Funny bug. Thx :)

OK, so I got 1.2.2 Unlocked to work (thanks, Polyrhythm) and set it for Lossless.  Then I put on a new Japanese pressing (SHM-CD) of Steely Dan's Aja, which I had just been listening to.  I chose to test the new FW with Aja due to the clarity of the material, the really clean mix, and the variety of sounds in the track.  Using 1.5.0 and my C5 amp, it gives a really fabulous sound.  Using the 1.2.2 Unlocked, it was obvious that the FW sounded enhanced pretty much across the board.  It sounded a bit wider, had more bass, more mids, more treble.  The immediate problem I found with it was that it was tiring.  Too much activity, the pristine "iciness" of the original sound had disappeared.  I could hear everything, but it was tiring out my ears and brain almost immediately.  

Now I didn't listen to this FW from the HO but rather from an amp from LO.  It may be that using iems or phones directly from HO would lead to an entirely different result.  But with my amp, it was not going to work for me so I reverted back to stock 1.5.0.  

Thanks to the dev who released this, I appreciate the effort.  Most likely the majority of owners of the DX50 listen unamped, so this FW could be a godsend to them.  

Sounds fair :) Main point - you should choose FW that fit to you.
About "pristine iciness of the original sound", it's better to say "iciness of the sound of the 1.5.0. stock firmware" :)
For me bass, mids, treble are more separated, more airy.
And I agree with you, some ears can be tired, need an adaptation, 1-2 days :)

BTW, did you choose comfort volume level? I usually reduce volume level on the SU. (stock - 200 ~ SU 190, mid gain, for example).
Thanks for your opinion!

SU just a proof of concept that software tweaks hide WM8740 potential. That's all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back