The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #13,996 of 18,652
There is a listed custom firmware that says extra bass by Doc.  Haven't tried it myself.  I agree, if you need more bass, you need different phones/iems.  The DX50 has plenty built-in, especially with 1.5.0 firmware (some think it's too bass-y) and the eq settings.    

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #13,998 of 18,652

Seems like you should possibly invest in a different pair of headphones that provide extra bass out of the box.  The ones I do have too much bass for my likings so I use the EQ to decrease the bass.  I can also add bass on top of my already bass heavy headphones using the EQ, which definitely makes it overwhelming.  Not sure how much bass you are wanting to have, and how much bass your current headphones are providing you by default.  If the headphones already have a very low bass response, then I could see the EQ possibly not being able to boost it to satisfactory levels.  

There is a listed custom firmware that says extra bass by Doc.  Haven't tried it myself.  I agree, if you need more bass, you need different phones/iems.  The DX50 has plenty built-in, especially with 1.5.0 firmware (some think it's too bass-y) and the eq settings.    

I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7s which are known to have very good bass (some even say maybe a little too much). My problem is that I am just not feeling the strong and tight rumble with the iBasso DX50 1.50 firmware. Up to this point I have been using a smart phone with Poweramp, and I was able to increase the bass to where I got strong tight bass, it wasn't overbearing, and the sound still had nice highs and mids as well. Right now with the DX50 stock firmware, I increase the bass to the max but I just don't feel much bass at all. I have been able to achieve what I want using Rockbox to increase the bass, but not with the stock DX50 firmware, but I really would rather use the stock firmware because I like the UI/flow much better.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #14,000 of 18,652

I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7s which are known to have very good bass (some even say maybe a little too much). My problem is that I am just not feeling the strong and tight rumble with the iBasso DX50 1.50 firmware. Up to this point I have been using a smart phone with Poweramp, and I was able to increase the bass to where I got strong tight bass, it wasn't overbearing, and the sound still had nice highs and mids as well. Right now with the DX50 stock firmware, I increase the bass to the max but I just don't feel much bass at all. I have been able to achieve what I want using Rockbox to increase the bass, but not with the stock DX50 firmware, but I really would rather use the stock firmware because I like the UI/flow much better.

Hmmm.  From what I found this appears to be the reported frequency performance of the P7s:

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/84/8445/P7-frquency-response.jpg

The bass frequencies is starting out near -7.5 db.  That is probably the issue as to why maxing out the dx50's rather limited EQ band is underwhelming.  May struggle even bringing it up to 0 db.  

By comparison here is my headphones:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2271&scale=30

Bass seems to start at around +8 db.  That's a significant difference.  

Another thing to point out is with the dx50, when the EQ is turned off it essentially sounds about the same as if the EQ is turned on with all bands at +6.  Which would only really give you +6 more to increase the bass til it maxes out at 12, which is only about 3 db more than it normally has.  The other custom firmwares mentioned, and rock box probably don't 'start' at +6, allowing for more flexibility.  But possibly by increasing the bass frequencies, while at the same time lowering all the treble frequencies into the negatives, you may be able to make the bass more pronounced than it would be if the treble frequencies are left at 0.  

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #14,001 of 18,652
  Are you amping the DX50?  It really improves the sound (to my ears). But, again, I'm not a basshead

I had seriously considered that, and I actually posted a thread where I asked that question, but then I saw people who said that the DX50 didn't need amping, that amping was generally a waste of money, and that they had 300 ohm headphones that were driven just fine by the DX50, so I ended up not getting one. I was going to get a FiiO e12 to pair with the DX50.

I'm not really a basshead so to speak, I love strong, punchy, clean bass, but I also want to hear the highs and mids as well. I do not want my headphones to sound like a pair of Beats where it is all muddy bass with everything else being barely audible.

Hmmm.  From what I found this appears to be the reported frequency performance of the P7s:

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/84/8445/P7-frquency-response.jpg

The bass frequencies is starting out near -7.5 db.  That is probably the issue as to why maxing out the dx50's rather limited EQ band is underwhelming.  May struggle even bringing it up to 0 db.  

By comparison here is my headphones:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2271&scale=30

Bass seems to start at around +8 db.  That's a significant difference.  

Another thing to point out is with the dx50, when the EQ is turned off it essentially sounds about the same as if the EQ is turned on with all bands at +6.  Which would only really give you +6 more to increase the bass til it maxes out at 12, which is only about 3 db more than it normally has.  The other custom firmwares mentioned, and rock box probably don't 'start' at +6, allowing for more flexibility.  But possibly by increasing the bass frequencies, while at the same time lowering all the treble frequencies into the negatives, you may be able to make the bass more pronounced than it would be if the treble frequencies are left at 0.  

That's interesting info with the graphs you posted. I had always read that reviewers felt that the P7's had generous bass, but that it was tight and not sloppy/muddy like older Beats headphones were. You are right on the db level and Rockbox. That firmware could take the bass from 0 up to like 26 I believe, same thing as with the treble. I am going to mess around with a few more things and see what I can come up with.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #14,002 of 18,652

I had seriously considered that, and I actually posted a thread where I asked that question, but then I saw people who said that the DX50 didn't need amping, that amping was generally a waste of money, and that they had 300 ohm headphones that were driven just fine by the DX50, so I ended up not getting one. I was going to get a FiiO e12 to pair with the DX50.

I'm not really a basshead so to speak, I love strong, punchy, clean bass, but I also want to hear the highs and mids as well. I do not want my headphones to sound like a pair of Beats where it is all muddy bass with everything else being barely audible.

That's interesting info with the graphs you posted. I had always read that reviewers felt that the P7's had generous bass, but that it was tight and not sloppy/muddy like older Beats headphones were. You are right on the db level and Rockbox. That firmware could take the bass from 0 up to like 26 I believe, same thing as with the treble. I am going to mess around with a few more things and see what I can come up with.

Lol.  Speaking of beats, this is a graph is what their frequency response generally looks like:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1443&scale=30

That super muddy bass they have, their bass response starts at near +20 db.  Sounds like crap :p

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #14,003 of 18,652
I like my amp (C5).  Widens the soundstage and gives me plenty of frequency ranges I don't think I'd be hearing unamped.  I think an amp is a pretty good investment, personally.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #14,004 of 18,652
  I like my amp (C5).  Widens the soundstage and gives me plenty of frequency ranges I don't think I'd be hearing unamped.  I think an amp is a pretty good investment, personally.

That's what I had heard and that's what I had planned on buying an amp for, but some people on here said otherwise, so I decided not to buy one. I may get the FiiO e12 like I had originally planned and see how it works out.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #14,005 of 18,652

That's what I had heard and that's what I had planned on buying an amp for, but some people on here said otherwise, so I decided not to buy one. I may get the FiiO e12 like I had originally planned and see how it works out.

Getting an amp will only have little impact than getting the right headphone for the SQ you are looking for. Getting an amp for DX50 will still help overall but may not raise the bass much as you are looking for. There are amps with bass boost function that can help like a C5/C5D. But in my experience it's not as good as having the right headphone.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #14,006 of 18,652

Getting an amp will only have little impact than getting the right headphone for the SQ you are looking for. Getting an amp for DX50 will still help overall but may not raise the bass much as you are looking for. There are amps with bass boost function that can help like a C5/C5D. But in my experience it's not as good as having the right headphone.

Thanks. I think I actually may have figured out what the issue was. I may still get an amp just to get better overall SQ. I have demo'ed the FiiO e12, and that has bass boost, but I didn't really care for the bass boost portion and I would prefer it come from the DAP/DAC or headphones. I will still probably grab the e12 and see how things go from there.

I appreciate all of you guy's help, BTW!

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #14,007 of 18,652
You need to separate the signal from the DC power when feeding the DX50. There are cables which have a USB micro connector split to a micro USB data connector and a regular USB male power connector. Search the net for that configuration and I am pretty sure you'll find cable providers that manufacture those.

You plug the single micro USB connector to your drive (I assumed it used micro USB) and the other end which has two connectors, one to your DX50 (data connector) and the other to a DC source, either your PC or the female connector of a wall plug charger.

Good luck with your project!

Hey,
Do you mind if you could post the link to the cable in your post?

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #14,008 of 18,652
After listening to the new 1.5.0 I've had the skipping problem others have mentioned.  The skipping seems random and not on particular tracks.  The skipping may not happen after replaying a track that had previously skipped.

So far this has happened on ALAC files of varying types from 16/44 to 24/96.  Can anyone else comment on the file types they've had skipping on?  Gapless is on BTW and Sandisk 64GB card. 

I like the improved sound signature and can really tell a difference with the Sony MDR -V6 as they're pretty revealing. The UI improvements are great too but it the skipping is more that an occasional issue, I'll have to go back to 1.2.8. :frowning2: 

Still love this player though. I've had since Batch 6 and FW 1.2.2 and have appreciated the improvements each time.  If the skipping were fixed, I'd not need another update. 

It would be nice if they could fix the following too:
-Display 24 bit ALAC files as "24"and not "32" bit. Never understood why that hasn't been fixed long ago.
-Popping, cracking sound on 192Khz ALAC files is still an issue. 

Scott

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #14,010 of 18,652
After listening to the new 1.5.0 I've had the skipping problem others have mentioned.  The skipping seems random and not on particular tracks.  The skipping may not happen after replaying a track that had previously skipped.

So far this has happened on ALAC files of varying types from 16/44 to 24/96.  Can anyone else comment on the file types they've had skipping on?  Gapless is on BTW and Sandisk 64GB card. 

I like the improved sound signature and can really tell a difference with the Sony MDR -V6 as they're pretty revealing. The UI improvements are great too but it the skipping is more that an occasional issue, I'll have to go back to 1.2.8. :frowning2: 

Still love this player though. I've had since Batch 6 and FW 1.2.2 and have appreciated the improvements each time.  If the skipping were fixed, I'd not need another update. 

It would be nice if they could fix the following too:
-Display 24 bit ALAC files as "24"and not "32" bit. Never understood why that hasn't been fixed long ago.
-Popping, cracking sound on 192Khz ALAC files is still an issue. 

Scott

I know that when this new update came out people were having this issue I believe they did a hard reboot and it solved it. You may have to look back to see exactly what they did.just use "search this thread"
Happy 4th everyone!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back