The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 23, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #13,606 of 18,652
The 2.0.5 based FW increases soundstage at the cost of microdynamics. Since my CIEMs have an abundance of soundstage (they do have larger soundstage than a number of headphones), back to 1.2.8 for me...

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #13,607 of 18,652

lol...yeah, I purchased the DX50 to use without an amp, but can't help myself in plugging one in.

How do you like the O2 with the DX90?

Listening to the DX50 --> O2 --> Beyer DT880 (250 ohm) right now.  Sounding great indeed!!!

Cheers!

DX90 > O2 is currently my main rig right now when I'm home. O2 is powerful enough to dive my cans with authority (actually a bit too much for Grados) and transparent enough to resolve the smallest details DX90 can feed it. I can also feel the weight/depth of the sound on this setup more compared to my Centrance Hifi-M8.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #13,608 of 18,652
  i love  it..... music is a so wider....

I gave the sound explosion firmware a try this evening. Definitely an improvement in soundstage width and the  imaging seemed "different" / better focused. This was from headphone out with Dunu DN-1000. Certainly a welcome improvement. However, I'm not sure I liked what I heard from line out for my current rig so referred back. IF however, I was sticking to headphone out Its well worth trying for anyone out there. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #13,609 of 18,652
Jun 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #13,611 of 18,652
I had a chance to listen to a DX90 over the weekend side by side with the 50.

My thoughts after 20 mins of listening: the DX90 HO sounds as good or better than my DX50+BH2. It is hands down better than the DX50 HO by itself. I thought the imaging was better, details were more present, it had a better separation of channels, the sound stage was wider, vocals sounded great, bass was thumpy and tight but not boomy or muddy...basically its the bomb. I loved it and will sell my combo as soon as I can put another $150 into audio. It is a clear step up from the DX50 and well worth the money. I prefer it to my 50+BH2 combo both for sound quality and size.

I did NOT think it sounded dry, flat, too bright, too dark, too warm, too cold or too anything for that matter. I now suffer from the burden of knowledge. If only I never listened to it I would still be living in ignorant bliss...

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #13,612 of 18,652
I had a chance to listen to a DX90 over the weekend side by side with the 50.

My thoughts after 20 mins of listening: the DX90 HO sounds as good or better than my DX50+BH2. It is hands down better than the DX50 HO by itself. I thought the imaging was better, details were more present, it had a better separation of channels, the sound stage was wider, vocals sounded great, bass was thumpy and tight but not boomy or muddy...basically its the bomb. I loved it and will sell my combo as soon as I can put another $150 into audio. It is a clear step up from the DX50 and well worth the money. I prefer it to my 50+BH2 combo both for sound quality and size.

I did NOT think it sounded dry, flat, too bright, too dark, too warm, too cold or too anything for that matter. I now suffer from the burden of knowledge. If only I never listened to it I would still be living in ignorant bliss...

Aha, you've caught upgradeitis. But wait, if you think carefully about it Ibasso are on a steep learning curve at the moment. What they learn from the DX-50 and DX-90 (and what others do with the firmware that sounds better than stock!) will surely find it's way into a single more refined, elegant player in the future (maybe not too distant, who knows).

I have already been reading of DX-90 users pairing their players with portable amps to improve the sound! And that really poor battery life!
Just a thought MCImes, but when you did your DX-90 DX-50 comparison did you carefully volume match the outputs while listening to identical music files on each? . I am not doubting there are improvements in the HO stage, but as far as line out (with all those amp choices) is concerned I believe this becomes more a matter of preference.

Anyway,  all I am trying to say is if someone enjoys their DX-50, it might be a wiser decision to wait to see what Ibasso come up with next (rather than jump on the upgrade wagon now).
maybe a slightly smaller dual Wolfson (or Cirrus Logic) player with further improved headphone AMP out and even better battery life (than DX-50), more mature UI, who knows! Whatever they do after the DX-90 it will be interesting.

DOC2008's 'Mega Sound Explosion' has made a real positive difference to the quality of the DX-50 HO and LO and I believe he plans to write this sound signature into the new DX-50 firmware when it arives. The soundstage is more accurate, as well as the mids being improved with better clarity overall. He actually has done something far more than just port the DX-90 firmware over! Also, he has a DX-100/HDP-R10 (which sounds better than DX-90 by most acounts) and in his words below was pretty pleased with the results of Mega Sound Explosion:

-I think IT was your dream

-the thought-it looks like it's time to sell the R10

-never thought that poltinniček might AS WELL play. DX90 standard and x 5 IMHO nervously smoking in aside

DOWNLOAD MEGA

DOWNLOAD WITH YANDEX

DOWNLOAD THE VERSION WITH THE CWM

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #13,613 of 18,652
I found the vocals just a little bit too thin for my liking with the "mega sound explosion" FW so I reverted back to the 1.2.8 firmware.

Although I loved the spaciousness of the soundstage and the clarity/separation of the mega, I'll play a waiting game and keep it stock just now,:)

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #13,614 of 18,652
I found the vocals just a little bit too thin for my liking with the "mega sound explosion" FW so I reverted back to the 1.2.8 firmware.

Although I loved the spaciousness of the soundstage and the clarity/separation of the mega, I'll play a waiting game and keep it stock just now,:)

imo i think its because the vocal is slightly laid back.. other than that this cfw is pretty dang good.

i see no reason to not use the cfw instead of stock fw unless it has feature that custom fw don't or you prefer warmer sound

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #13,620 of 18,652
yah, it is valid by ibasso, but may be some problem when being a dac of win 8/ 8.1, if you want to install the dac driver " DX50&DX90_WindowsOS_USB-DAC_Driver_Beta2", you need to disable the Win8's digital signature, to cope with it, you can follow this steps:

Go to Start - Then Command Prompt
Enter command "shutdown /r /o /f /t 00"
Click the "OK" button
System will restart to a "Choose an option" screen
Then select "Troubleshoot" from "Choose an option" screen
Then select "Advanced options" from "Troubleshoot" screen
Then select "Windows Startup Settings" from "Advanced options" screen
Click "Restart" button
System will restart to "Advanced Boot Options" screen
Select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
Restart & install drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread