The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #13,141 of 18,652
It's probably slowing down because the 1.2.8 firmware works so well there are no longer any issues with it.  No, no news about any new firmware, though were are all waiting for it.  

May 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #13,142 of 18,652
Hello, amateur here) I'm looking to replace my almost dead cowon. This player seems fit for my needs regarding memory expansion and battery replacement . I'm using etymotic hf-5s on the go - will it pair with them well? I'm also inclined to buy bigger cans - Beyerdynamic DT770, namely - should I go for the 32 Ohms version to use with this player?

May 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #13,143 of 18,652
It's probably slowing down because the 1.2.8 firmware works so well there are no longer any issues with it.  No, no news about any new firmware, though were are all waiting for it.  

They do in fact have a new FW coming soon, I was told this about a month ago from ibasso. They are going to have a few last time improvements this is suppose to have all the goodies, and be the last one..it should be close to the same as the DX90 fw features.

May 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #13,144 of 18,652
Hello, amateur here) I'm looking to replace my almost dead cowon. This player seems fit for my needs regarding memory expansion and battery replacement . I'm using etymotic hf-5s on the go - will it pair with them well? I'm also inclined to buy bigger cans - Beyerdynamic DT770, namely - should I go for the 32 Ohms version to use with this player?

I went from a Cowon D3 to the DX50 and the sound quality is a great improvement, the cowons do sound great but I prefer the DX50 being it has a built in dac and the cowons do not.. I have not heard the etys but the beyerdynamics sound great with the DX50 just don't get the pro-series as the other 32,300,600 ohm are better.

May 14, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #13,146 of 18,652

Hi

I had the HF-5 in the past until I replaced them with Er-4p/s (HF-5 is quite close to er-4p) . Currently using the ER-4s with DX-50 on mid gain and find it to be a great pairing which is extremely accurate and enjoyable (to me). Unfortunately with the HF-5 you will proabably have a small amount of audible hiss, as the ER-4p is sensitive enough to exhibit this (the er-4s is silent). Note: the hiss decreases slighlty as you go up through low/mid/high gain. But the nicest sound will probably be on low or mid with the HF-5. At first you might also find the pairing too bright and lacking in body.

After many hours of listening (many genres of .flac music). With the DX-50 do not be afraid to use the custom EQ section (not the presets)! Others on the web have said it is muddy and useless, you can safely ignore these remarks. As soon as you turn on the EQ there will be a drop in overall level  (this is by design) and very slight different tuned signature to EQ off. Bring up the level to match what you were previously listening to and then make the changes that your earphones benefit from.

With the ER-4s I use these EQ settings which might seem extreme but the EQ on DX-50 is quite subtle. With a deep seeted fit of ety's I get a really accurate and pleasing frequency response including tight sub bass (I currently use large grey foam tips very deep insertion)

mid gain.
30hz: +10
180hz: +6
330hz: +3
600: 0
1K: 0
4K: 0
12K: +1
16: +2

Beyerdynamic DT770,

32 0hm version should be fine with low or mid gain settings. I doubt you will have any hiss issues with these either.

May 14, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #13,147 of 18,652
Hi, i'm still in 1.2.5 fw: do you think that it is worth to upgrade? Which are pros & cons?

Only used 1.2.8 and most agree it is the best overall but it may have had a slight reduction in the bottom end compared with some previous firmware. (dont know about that). Others can verify this please?

Why not just give it a go:)

May 14, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #13,148 of 18,652
polyrhythm
Thanks a lot for the detailed response! Will definitely try the EQ stuff you suggested (got used to the extensive EQ options on cowon that I've had). I think I'll end up using the setup with bigger cans more, and use the etymotics whenever I need to block out noises.

Found the dt770 pro 80 ohm version and ordered it for combo. From what I've read, 80 ohm should not be much harder to drive than 32 ohms for this player.
Head-Fi rulez!

May 14, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #13,150 of 18,652
Have you tried rocbox? If not I'd recommend you giving it a go. It definitely sounds cleaner and slightly better in many aspects conpared to the stock firmware.

HI

No disrespect but I don't see how Rockboxing can magically 'çlean' up the DX-50 sound as there is nothing to clean up in my opinion (apart from hiss with sensitive IEMS, which is a hardware issue). It is so important to be objective with sound comparisons. The time it takes to change from stock firmware to the Rockbox version would be enough time for your ears to lose all objectivity regarding sound judgements such as this. If you were using EQ on the DX-50 it becomes even harder! Having said that, Rockbox does have more control over the alteration of the sound and the UI is very different also, it does however downsample higher sample rates from what I have read.

May 14, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #13,151 of 18,652
HI

No disrespect but I don't see how Rockboxing can magically 'çlean' up the DX-50 sound as there is nothing to clean up in my opinion (apart from hiss with sensitive IEMS, which is a hardware issue). It is so important to be objective with sound comparisons. The time it takes to change from stock firmware to the Rockbox version would be enough time for your ears to lose all objectivity regarding sound judgements such as this. If you were using EQ on the DX-50 it becomes even harder! Having said that, Rockbox does have more control over the alteration of the sound and the UI is very different also, it does however downsample higher bitrates/sample rates from what I have read.

I think he is referring to RB having a neutral sound signature compared to the stock firmware which in comparison is slightly warmer. Yes it downsamples hi res files to 16/48. But if you think it's a downside I won't argue with you on that topic here. It's been discussed, debated, rinsed and repeated several times in the sound science section.

The most notable issue with each update with the stock firmware is the SQ differs in each iteration. That is why some users stick with the FW version they feel sounded best for them.

May 14, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #13,153 of 18,652
Ah O.K , Thanks for clearing up what you meant. I understand:)

Is the comparison with the current1.2.8 stock firmware were you referng to? As from what I have read they have all been a little different in signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back