The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #11,131 of 18,652
lol there are tons of these video's.  that people spend subbing them :p 

It's (almost...) completely unrelated to the subject, but if you enjoy a good laugh watch that video - it's fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UQDTZcpsDE

You 2 have some dry humor if you think that's funny. Or, maybe I just don't think Hitler and humor go together.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #11,132 of 18,652
Hi guys,

I am using the DX50 with Shure SE530 right now, i want to improve the sound quality so should I buy a portable headamp or upgrade a new IEM? Which one should I buy? i am considering buying a O2 but its size is a matter for me so please give me some suggestions. I am just a newbie to audio so I really need your helps. Thank you very much.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #11,133 of 18,652
I'm no pro in this field either, but if your aim is to improve the sound quality, then go get a new IEM. These will probably give you the largest audible improvement that you are looking for.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #11,134 of 18,652
Hi guys,

I am using the DX50 with Shure SE530 right now, i want to improve the sound quality so should I buy a portable headamp or upgrade a new IEM? Which one should I buy? i am considering buying a O2 but its size is a matter for me so please give me some suggestions. I am just a newbie to audio so I really need your helps. Thank you very much.

What kind of improvement are you looking for? More bass,treble,sound stage etc.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #11,138 of 18,652
If u have the dough try the TG334... it prawn my previous SE535 up down left right.... TG334 quite a heaven match with DX50. Good spacious soundstage, deep bass and nice lushy mids and nice high... not overly bright.. And the TG334 even sound much better then my Grado RS1..

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #11,139 of 18,652
If you like the sound sig of the Shure, and have a bit of money, try listening to the Shure SE846.  Wonderful headphone, I love it paired with my DX50. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #11,140 of 18,652
Being that you have Shure IEMs which are a BA, and not known for sound stage and seperation you should consider a Dynamic IEM like Vsonic or Sennheiser to name a few. All depends on what you want to spend.

I heard that the amp like O2 can improve the soundstage and sound signature so are there any good amps that improve both soundstage and sound signature? My max budget will be $300. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #11,141 of 18,652
IMO there'se a great difference between the p3 and the p5. I tried them both with the DX50 (first with fw 1.26) and was more impressed with the p5. it has become amazing with 1.28 (like many others have written already). No eq setting or amp is needed. The sound quality is clear, open and some music parts (classical, jazz & rock) are really breathtaking. The only disadvantage is my wife. I'm spending way to much time with my DX 50 & headphone  :atsmile: . 

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #11,142 of 18,652
I totally agree.I want to buy another set of headphones for using with the p5 ,but a bit more comfortable and for home use .
But I really don't know what to choose ,that much I like them ....
And I don't want to by an amp when sound is not so good with the new spare headsets....
Thinking of akg k545..for better soundstage but I don't want to lose the way bass sounds on the p5

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #11,143 of 18,652
I heard that the amp like O2 can improve the soundstage and sound signature so are there any good amps that improve both soundstage and sound signature? My max budget will be $300. Thanks.

Personally, I believe that headphones and source quality make the most difference in sound quality, followed by amps and (quite a bit further down the road) cables… I've bought a lot of amps, and, really, the main job of an amp is to get out of the way and, well, amplify the signal… there may be sound signature differences, some of them have hardware boosts to treble/bass/crossfeed/soundstage (and these do work, but they also alter the sound - if you like the alterations, fine, your ears should be the best judge), but, to my ears, amps usually do NOT completely change the fundamental characteristics of a headphone (unless, maybe, you go balanced - I have no experience with that, but Sorensiim reported very good results with his Noble K10, with improvements in soundstage too - on the other the K10 is already a TOTL CIEM, of course
smile.gif
).

If I were you, I would look into upgrading my headphones, first, either by going to ljokerl's large thread on IEMs (if you want to stick with IEMs) and selecting one particularly suited to your preferences and within your budget (and comparing it to what you already have), or changing altogether and getting some open headphones.

Best of luck in your search!

PS: if you really are set on getting an amp, you might want to try C&C BH2 - there's a large thread on that too tat you might want to have a look at, it's cheap (<$100), has a couple of hardware switches which enhance both bass and treble and soundstage, and it's really good for the money. There are a lot of better amps, but they also all cost a lot more
wink_face.gif
 (and I actually found myself using it more often than my Arrow 4G or my Pico Power, with N6 IEMs with FW 1.2.6, while with 1.2.8 I don't use an amp - needless to say, YMMV, and I still think that you'd be better off by upgrading your 'phones
smile.gif
 first)

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #11,144 of 18,652
Anyone here have experienced a sudden increase in volume with the 1.2.8 FW? I have read a report that some dx50 owners have experienced this in older FWs. This is actually what I am afraid of and this whats holding me back ...I am planning to use my SE535 and i don't want my eardrums get busted because of this issue. Thanks a lot

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #11,145 of 18,652

I have an O2 and it is amazing, I absolutely love it! It can drive basically anything, but my HE-500 needs a little more power. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back