The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 29, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #10,831 of 18,652
  Hi Friends.
A question:
If Flac file ends up with like the example: hotel california.flac, what does DSD format extension goes...? hotel california.[DSD]

No, hotel california goes backwards on DSD! :p :p 

(sorry I have no idea but I had to make a joke :) )

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #10,832 of 18,652
  No, hotel california goes backwards on DSD! :p :p 

(sorry I have no idea but I had to make a joke :) )

no its Hotel California.LSD

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #10,833 of 18,652
Upgraded to firmware 1.2.8. My listening experience went up by 2 notches with DX50>PB2>SE535 (balanced)> Sarah Brightman's Figlio Perduto ( DSD ripped to flac 24/88.2) :D

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #10,834 of 18,652
a most strange occurrence today as i added a few albums onto the dx50, added nirvana -played nick cave added knap sack -played nick cave again..
this player is driving me bloody crazy

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #10,835 of 18,652
thinking of returning my dx50 since the forward button is broken and wait for the dx90. they do say the housing is the same so same touch screen same buttons?
we will see.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #10,836 of 18,652
In words, they took a SACD/DVD-A disc player and down-sampled its audio to 16-bit/44.1 kHz in order to represent their "CD-equivalent" audio. Most people in the real world won't do that when comparing the two.

If you don't down-sample from the same mix and master then you're comparing two different sources. Of course they'll sound different. They are different. The medium and encoding have nothing to do with that.

Edit:
I've nothing against preferring to pay for better masters. What I'm on about is that the FOTM "high definition" format is no assurance of getting those better masters. A poorly mastered track will sound bad regardless of the medium and encoding. Slapping a "high definition" sticker and price tag on it won't change a thing.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #10,839 of 18,652
Does the eq change anything in the sound in the new fw? I'm thinking of replacing My X3 for a dx50 due to lack of eq options among other things. Also i've heard the soundstage is supposed to be bigger on the dx50. Do you guys think that a dx50 + sennheiser momentum (over ear) is a good pairing? Also i do need quite a lot of bass, can the dx50 handle this if u crank up the eq? Afterall, momentums are quite bass heavy themselves

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #10,840 of 18,652
I love this Dap! :)
My Alpha Dog arrive and now the FW1.2.8!
So clear and the Bass is just right. :)
A900x and HD 650 love the new FW.
Thanks iBasso and Sorensiim :)

Now that you said ADs! At some point ill be on the look for some over ear closed cans... And i do love my bass (sub) a lot.
I need something closed because i want to use it in a work environment so i can ether go for iem or closed.

Any comments or help?

(I have eye-ed the alpha dogs, the fostex600 and on the other side the jh16 as this are the bass master's iems probably, comfort/prise/quality will of course play a role in the decision )

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #10,842 of 18,652
  You got your eye on some nice headphones. :)
If money no object i would shoot for the "LCD-XC"
People have said some nice things about thoes headphone.

i want the LCD x. my grail headphone 
gs1000.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #10,844 of 18,652
Does the eq change anything in the sound in the new fw? I'm thinking of replacing My X3 for a dx50 due to lack of eq options among other things. Also i've heard the soundstage is supposed to be bigger on the dx50. Do you guys think that a dx50 + sennheiser momentum (over ear) is a good pairing? Also i do need quite a lot of bass, can the dx50 handle this if u crank up the eq? Afterall, momentums are quite bass heavy themselves

i did the same, sell my x3 (the eq was something i wanted) but i like the interface, the reemplazable battery, and seems to be more capable sound, hardware wise
Im just waiting to being delivered the 14th batch =)

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #10,845 of 18,652
In words, they took a SACD/DVD-A disc player and down-sampled its audio to 16-bit/44.1 kHz in order to represent their "CD-equivalent" audio. Most people in the real world won't do that when comparing the two.
Edit:
I've nothing against preferring to pay for better masters. What I'm on about is that the FOTM "high definition" format is no assurance of getting those better masters. A poorly mastered track will sound bad regardless of the medium and encoding. Slapping a "high definition" sticker and price tag on it won't change a thing.

Ah I see. From your wording in previous posts, you made it sound like buying HD or DSD albums was a waste of money. I was saying no they're not a complete waste of money since the masters can be different, and the differences are very real indeed.

But yes, the format itself makes no difference on the audio quality, the master does.

One has to be careful about finding out where the files are from though. There are a lot of scams out there that are no better than the CD-equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back