The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #10,051 of 18,652
Just received a Sandisk Ultra 64gb micro sdxc card. I formatted it with Fat32 and seems to be fine. The DX50 scans it and begins playing fine, but after 20 secs. or so it moves forward to the next track over and over. It plays fine in the Fiio x3. Turned off gapless on the DX50, no luck. Reformatted and reloaded the card to no avail. If I copy the files to one of my 128gb sdxc full size cards it plays the tracks fine. Any ideas why? Would hate not to be able to use this card with the IBasso. Other than this blip I am very happy with the DX50, have had the Fiio x3 for 2 weeks now and while it is a great Dap, I prefer the DX50's sq hands down. Wish the touchscreen was not so sensitive though.

Cheers,
Shawn

Always worth checking the card - I had a duff one [Sandisk ultra 64gb] which formatted OK and worked fine on a colorfly C3 but caused problems on my DX50. I use h2testw on a windows PC to test my cards.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #10,052 of 18,652
I'm new to this site and portable audio in general. Just got DX50, seems to play fine, except "FORWARD" physical button doesn't respond at all. Rewind and Play work fine, and when I press on the screen forward and rewind work fine. Anyone has idea why physical forward button doesn't respond or how to fix it?
Thanks!

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #10,053 of 18,652
  I'm new to this site and portable audio in general. Just got DX50, seems to play fine, except "FORWARD" physical button doesn't respond at all. Rewind and Play work fine, and when I press on the screen forward and rewind work fine. Anyone has idea why physical forward button doesn't respond or how to fix it?
Thanks!

I have similar issue. it is the play button that's not responsive on my dx50. Forward and backward works in one go, however the play button does not respond on the first click after a long idle period. I have to click again to get it work.

If your button doesnt work at all, you should contact ibasso and get an exchange.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #10,054 of 18,652
Always worth checking the card - I had a duff one [Sandisk ultra 64gb] which formatted OK and worked fine on a colorfly C3 but caused problems on my DX50. I use h2testw on a windows PC to test my cards.

Thanks, I'll try that . Formatting in Exfat did not help. The card came with the X3 in a deal, maybe it's intentional. lol.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #10,057 of 18,652
I don't think it's the card in my case, as the same thing happens when I play from internal memory.
I'll try to reinstall the firmaware to see if that will do anything.

Doh,:rolleyes: the player was on loop. Changed the play mode and I am golden. That darn sensitive touch screen. I am getting used to it, but scrolling without opening the wrong menu is still frustrating.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #10,059 of 18,652
I just had my first real problem with my 50. Im still on 1.2.2 because it hasnt given me too many problems up to this point and I like the sound.

I added a few new flac albums last night and 2 of them had this issue: play 2 seconds of a song, go to the next, play 2 seconds, go to the next...ect.

This fixed 1 album, but not the other. Have any ideas of anything else to try?
Factory reset
Removed any ‘ or ñ in names of songs. (both albums had ' or ñ in song names)
Deleted extra files in the directory like .cue .m3u and a couple others I forget…
Rescanned the card

Now everything new plays happy! Phew, I thought I was going to have to update to 1.2.7 again.

Also, I have a love/hate relationship with the 50. It makes poorly recorded/encoded music sound terrible! This is good, but I instantly know when I hit a rogue 192 mp3... its not a lot of my music, but I never realized how bad it sounded on my sansa clip +

Edit: I fixed the other album by removing numbers from the file names. Ex: it had a track called Suite 1, I changed it to Suite One

Edit again, Removing the numbers fixed only about half the tracks, the others have the skipping problem. Thoughts?

3rd edit: I deleted the audio_data and the other _data folders and rescanned. NOW it works. Excellent

4th edit: Now, tracks/directories that used to play fine no longer do...hm...it seems to have a lot more problems with flac than mp3 for some reason.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #10,061 of 18,652
I just had my first real problem with my 50. Im still on 1.2.2 because it hasnt given me too many problems up to this point and I like the sound.

I added a few new flac albums last night and 2 of them had this issue: play 2 seconds of a song, go to the next, play 2 seconds, go to the next...ect.

This fixed 1 album, but not the other. Have any ideas of anything else to try?
Factory reset
Removed any ‘ or ñ in names of songs. (both albums had ' or ñ in song names)
Deleted extra files in the directory like .cue .m3u and a couple others I forget…
Rescanned the card

Now everything new plays happy! Phew, I thought I was going to have to update to 1.2.7 again.

Also, I have a love/hate relationship with the 50. It makes poorly recorded/encoded music sound terrible! This is good, but I instantly know when I hit a rogue 192 mp3... its not a lot of my music, but I never realized how bad it sounded on my sansa clip +

Edit: I fixed the other album by removing numbers from the file names. Ex: it had a track called Suite 1, I changed it to Suite One

Edit again, Removing the numbers fixed only about half the tracks, the others have the skipping problem. Thoughts?

3rd edit: I deleted the audio_data and the other _data folders and rescanned. NOW it works. Excellent

4th edit: Now, tracks/directories that used to play fine no longer do...hm...it seems to have a lot more problems with flac than mp3 for some reason.

Or you could just update your firmware...
Already checked out the sound signature of 1.2.7?

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #10,062 of 18,652
  Happy owner of 9th batch DX50
I have it for about a month now and have no complaints.
It sounds good, it works good, it looks good.
At 239 dollar, I consider it to be a true bargain.

I really like this DAP, and I also like to read about it on this forum. I have to thank the early adopters for their input on this forum, because they also helped me to decide to by the unit

This morning I compared the sound of firmware 1.2.7 to 1.2.6

No headphone amp. Just the HP out of the player. Low gain.
I only use Flac files. Using Sennheiser IE8 phones.
All EQ settings off.

To MHO the sound has changed with the new firmware. The midrange sounds louder to me in 1.2.7.
This more forward midrange sounds more screamy and leads me to want to lower the volume.
It also affects the spaciousness. In 1.2.6 I could more listen into the recording, while 1.2.7. seems to come at me.

I switched back to 1.2.6. I haven't made my own wallpaper anyway
wink_face.gif

My wishlist for Ibasso
  1. Gapless function combined with sq of 1.2.6
  2. Switching songs leads to a audible (memory?)dump. The last bit of the previous track gets dumped at the beginning of the new track. I would't mind if that can be made to dissapear.
  3. Resizable album art would be nice. I would like albumart to fill the whole screen.
  4. Maybe Ibasso could mention changes made in sound settings in their releasenotes supplied with new firmware?

Hi there!

I am also a happy owner of a 9th-batch DX50.  For $239, it's a little gem.  I might try 1.2.7 but anticipate to go back to 1.2.6 because I really like the SQ of 1.2.6.

My wish list: Firmware 1.2.8 = 1.2.6 SQ + rest of 1.2.7 + <feel free to add>   :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #10,064 of 18,652
Thanks for the update.

I am interested in the how much different headphone amps affect the sound of the DX50, if at all.

I started with the GS Voyager which hardly altered the sound at all apart from maybe being slightly warmer and I couldn't justify keeping it. The sound was so similar, I wondered if they used the same OPamps, as I believe both may run off batteries with the same voltage swing.

So I moved to a Leckerton UHA 6s MKII. This creates a real warmth & depth to the sound and takes the edge of the potential brightness that I feel the Dx50 has a tendency to have on its own. And I really like the match with the Dx50.

Probably because I roll the valves in my home Valve Amp, I know what a difference this can make to the sound and I am now awaiting an Ibasso D12 amp with Topflight kit in order to play around a bit and test different OPamps to see how much they alter the signature of the sound.

I prefer it when the manufacturers are open with their components rather than offer "black box" information.

Very sadly, I have been cheated . The second hand D12 I purchased from a fellow head fi on the for sale forums wasn't sent, instead he sent a Fiio E11, some random cables and a XBUS battery & charger (whatever that is). I should have gone direct to iBasso, it would have got to me quicker as well and no customs duties.

Does this sort of thing happen often?

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #10,065 of 18,652
Very sadly, I have been cheated . The second hand D12 I purchased from a fellow head fi on the for sale forums wasn't sent, instead he sent a Fiio E11, some random cables and a XBUS battery & charger (whatever that is). I should have gone direct to iBasso, it would have got to me quicker as well and no customs duties.

Does this sort of thing happen often?

No, haven't seen that happen before here. Be sure to report him and leave negative feedback. File a claim with PayPal as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back