The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #10,021 of 18,652
  Yes, thats a good design and I got it made at the shop. So instead of  having stereo signal going to either side, he made me a Y-shaped connector that connects to both sides in mono. The end is terminated with 6 pin hirose. He used a red tape to indicate the right channel. If I put it in the wrong cup, there is no sound. In order to stay on topic, this cable will immediately let you listen to the balance end of ibasso balance amp!

Going balance on these cans will give you immediate SQ improvement, but as I said you can only stretch so much because the driver is not high end.

I am sorry I cannot go into too much technical detail as my mind goes blank when my DIY friend talks about what he will do...

Well, that sounds like a pretty straight forward mod. At least for all the DIY'ers... Unfortunately i am not one of them, but thanks for the explanation. 
smile.gif

Good to know that it is possible to balance them, if i should someday buy a pair.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #10,022 of 18,652
Hmmm looks like my DX50 is having some problems right now (pretty sure it's the DAP and not my IEMs).

Everything sounds like it is in 192kbs...

Need to do more testing.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #10,023 of 18,652
I'm going to get a portable amp next week for my dx50. It will probably be a jds c5, but will try the fiio e12 as well. I'm currently at the checkout window at Lunashop for some DIY interconnects. I'm not sure if it is necessary. Does the Fiio L2 do the job well enough? or is it necessary to go fancy like everyone else for some higher grade cable. How much of an improvement will those be? I need some help deciding..

Chinese new year is coming.. if i don't order it soon, of boy how long will it take to deliver.

Thanks

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #10,024 of 18,652
  I'm going to get a portable amp next week for my dx50. It will probably be a jds c5, but will try the fiio e12 as well. I'm currently at the checkout window at Lunashop for some DIY interconnects. I'm not sure if it is necessary. Does the Fiio L2 do the job well enough? or is it necessary to go fancy like everyone else for some higher grade cable. How much of an improvement will those be? I need some help deciding..

Chinese new year is coming.. if i don't order it soon, of boy how long will it take to deliver.

Thanks

I tested my c5d and it was amazing! (I like a bass boost a lot so you don't have to EQ at all on the software side!)

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #10,025 of 18,652
Hi if you order a portable amp,it usually come with an interconnect as part of the accessories. Get familiar with that before tweaking so that you can enjoy the process.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #10,026 of 18,652
Tools to re-install OS

My DX50 has been encountering firmware upgrade error like some folks here experienced and I get this ultimate solution from ibasso which solve the problem right away!

This software allows you to format the whole machine and re-install the OS. 

Suitable for those having software problem such as unable to upgrade firmware etc. Very useful. 

http://www.ibasso.com/download/RKbatchtool_for_DX50.zip

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #10,027 of 18,652
Hi if you order a portable amp,it usually come with an interconnect as part of the accessories. Get familiar with that before tweaking so that you can enjoy the process.

Sadly, something like the C5 doesn't come with an interconnect.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #10,028 of 18,652
Is the amp section from the c5d the same as c5?

I will need a temporary cable until the ones from lunashop arrives anyway so I will get the Fiio l2. Well the store only sells Fiio l2, their next tier cable is out of my budget. Is the Fiio l2 a good enough cable compared to those selling for 23-30 dollar silver plated interconnect from lunashop? Is it worth he upgrade?

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #10,029 of 18,652

Thanks

Since I have both of the amps you mentioned, I just thought I'd say that the C5 is better than the E12, by a considerable margin (imo). The E12 comes with an interconnect (the Fiio L8), and is the interconnect I currently use with my C5 + DX50. Quite frankly, I do not buy into 'higher quality' cables. The Fiio cables are more than good enough. 

In my experience, the E12 has the annoying effect of making the DX50s soundstage wider, but with less separation. Everything sounds muddier, but wider at the same time. The C5, in contrast, improves the sound of the DX50, and widens it a little bit. Everything sounds sharper and clearer, instruments have proper separation. The only thing that the E12 beats the C5 on is soundstage width, but frankly I do not see the point of having a wide soundstage if you cannot clearly define the instruments. 

YMMV, but this is how I feel after extended use with both amplifiers.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #10,030 of 18,652
Is the amp section from the c5d the same as c5?

I will need a temporary cable until the ones from lunashop arrives anyway so I will get the Fiio l2. Well the store only sells Fiio l2, their next tier cable is out of my budget. Is the Fiio l2 a good enough cable compared to those selling for 23-30 dollar silver plated interconnect from lunashop? Is it worth he upgrade?

I think it is, but I cannot confirm for you, as I do not know the facts.

As of the cables, that's still debatable from person to person. Some, like I, believe that there are minute differences/improvements between upgrade cables, whilst some will swear by it, but others will say that it doesn't vouch for any improvements.

You're going to have to try it for yourself to see if you're a normal audiophile, or a crazy audiophile. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #10,031 of 18,652
Since I have both of the amps you mentioned, I just thought I'd say that the C5 is better than the E12, by a considerable margin (imo). The E12 comes with an interconnect (the Fiio L8), and is the interconnect I currently use with my C5 + DX50. Quite frankly, I do not buy into 'higher quality' cables. The Fiio cables are more than good enough. 

In my experience, the E12 has the annoying effect of making the DX50s soundstage wider, but with less separation. Everything sounds muddier, but wider at the same time. The C5, in contrast, improves the sound of the DX50, and widens it a little bit. Everything sounds sharper and clearer, instruments have proper separation. The only thing that the E12 beats the C5 on is soundstage width, but frankly I do not see the point of having a wide soundstage if you cannot clearly define the instruments. 

YMMV, but this is how I feel after extended use with both amplifiers.

Thanks. Your reply is really informative.

I will hold my trigger on those cable. I read similar impressions to yours when googled these pairing with the dx50 which is why I'm leaning toward the c5. Now I just need to let my ears have a go next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

Good night everyone:).
I think it is, but I cannot confirm for you, as I do not know the facts.

As of the cables, that's still debatable from person to person. Some, like I, believe that there are minute differences/improvements between upgrade cables, whilst some will swear by it, but others will say that it doesn't vouch for any improvements.

You're going to have to try it for yourself to see if you're a normal audiophile, or a crazy audiophile. :)

Will get familiar with the l2 first and make it a reference point then consider a upgrade. I hope I'm a normal audiophile lol, else my wallet is gonna bleed.:D
:wink:

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #10,032 of 18,652
What are you using to connect the HD to the DX50???  I got a nice slim Toshiba, but the connect on it is the micro USB 3.0 like this 

Im currently waiting for these two to arrive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B5T3UTS/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380680038309?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #10,033 of 18,652
Good deal here for one lucky Australian member on a DX50. I've watched the seller drop from $250 AUD down to $220 ono. I reckon you throw $200 you'd get it. Remember, for us to import a DX50 in Australia with the exchange rate is almost $300 AUD.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321294511611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I though about giving the iBasso another try, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #10,034 of 18,652
Hmm looks like my DX50 is back to normal.
What a strange...bug?

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #10,035 of 18,652

Thanks

Third day as owner of a c5 - using it as much as possible. Clear, well defined signal from it, wide soundstage. Was very happy with the HO from the DX50 until I got the c5, now I'm not sure I will ever go back.
Not gotten into the whole cable issue yet, but there are some interesting posts on here about that very subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back