The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #9,991 of 18,652
The latter statement is absolutely true: if nothing is there then no amount of enhancement will bring anything out.

The earlier statement is very much an it depends kind of thing. Increasing volume, either master or just specific frequency ranges, doesn't make things clearer or more detailed per se. What it can do is make those details more readily perceptible. This is especially true for the higher ranges as humans tend to lose high-frequency sensitivity as we age. Thus, increasing treble volume can make the treble range sound more clear and detailed.

Indeed.  I wasn't meaning to imply that details magically form out of thin air.  Not even firmware 1.2.2 that people have been claiming is highly detailed can do that.  Just increasing the volumes of the frequencies that contain the details, will allow one to hear them better, if they are there to be heard.  

Bass detail however is different, and generally boosting the bass reduces its detail being counter productive.  Also highly dependent on the headphones ability to stay clear, without drowning everything out.  In my case, my current headphones are rather bass heavy.  While I do like bass, I don't like excessive amounts of it.  Not only am I getting a perceived increase in audible details by boosted the high frequencies, but I gain an increase in the clarity of the bass, such as the vibrating strings of a cello.  In that case, the bass details may be there, but the chosen headphones can destroy them.  However electronic bass I don't think has any details in it, as such these genres can be great with some excessive bass.  

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #9,992 of 18,652
Pelican case.

Fits my HDD in too (just) if I carry my Phonaks. Neither of my JH's would fit, but then they have their own otter/pelican case anyway.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #9,993 of 18,652
Not only am I getting a perceived increase in audible details by boosted the high frequencies, but I gain an increase in the clarity of the bass, such as the vibrating strings of a cello.

Ah, but you're not getting clarity of bass by doing that. You're getting clarity of the higher-frequency overtones and harmonics which for cello can reach well above 2kHz.

Overtones and harmonics in electronic music depend on the synthesizers in question, the mechanics of how they generate sounds, and how they're programmed. The venerable Moog, for example, has three oscillators that can be programmed (tuned) in nearly infinite variety as demonstrated by Wendy Carlos on "Switched-On Bach" and Keith Emerson on, I believe, every ELP album recorded.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #9,994 of 18,652
  well looked like they saved on the batteries to keep the price low
blink.gif

Where would you rather have them cut costs?

A) The DAC soldered to the PCB and deeply integrated in the firmware, making upgrades impossible or
B) The widely available battery that can be swapped in less than 30 seconds without the use of tools.

Choose wisely. (I believe Ibasso did)

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #9,995 of 18,652
Hi guys.
I am the one who wants his headphones be both attractive(to myself) and comfortable. And i like the design of beyerdynamic(black headphones with silver pads and ). Unfortunatelly (not sure really, that's why i'm here) most of people say that DX50 won't be able to make DT 770 pro sound good enough coz of the high impedance (250 Ohm).
I want to ask what do i lose by using DX50+770Pro.
For me the most important things in music are detalisation and creation of the scene(not sure it is a proper term, weak vocabulary=)). What i lose exactly in case of using high impedance headphones with DX50?

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #9,996 of 18,652
What i lose exactly in case of using high impedance headphones with DX50?[/B

Nothing. Not a blessed thing. Seriously. DX50 delivers enough power on high gain to drive 250-300 ohm dynamic headphones to respectable volume levels.
The only reason to use an outboard amplifier with DX50 is if there is something that DX50 does not deliver. Notable examples include things like balanced audio, still more power for extremely hard to drive headphones (Mad Dogs for example), correcting for audible hiss at high or low gain assuming it exists and can actually be heard (I can't hear any), and satiating stack envy.

As with any headphone purchase it is best to audition them with your own gear and music before buying.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #9,997 of 18,652
Nothing. Not a blessed thing. Seriously. DX50 delivers enough power on high gain to drive 250-300 ohm dynamic headphones to respectable volume levels.
The only reason to use an outboard amplifier with DX50 is if there is something that DX50 does not deliver. Notable examples include things like balanced audio, still more power for extremely hard to drive headphones (Mad Dogs for example), correcting for audible hiss at high or low gain assuming it exists and can actually be heard (I can't hear any), and satiating stack envy.

You should add: Higher quality amplifier

(The Pico Power simply sounds better as does the Quickstep and no doubt some other high end external amps. Those are the two that I can vouch for.)

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #9,999 of 18,652
^you should still be able to use a normal micro USB cable even if the connector is a USB 3.0. as the picture above as reference, the right (bottom right?) area is where you can plug the micro USB end of the cable (female port). then the other end of the cable now connects to your OTG.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #10,000 of 18,652
  ^you should still be able to use a normal micro USB cable even if the connector is a USB 3.0. as the picture above as reference, the right (bottom right?) area is where you can plug the micro USB end of the cable (female port). then the other end of the cable now connects to your OTG.

NICE!!! Schooled me there brother. I didn't know it would fire up with just a cable in that spot at the bottom R.

Good Show, Good Show

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #10,005 of 18,652
How's the NAD's?

Much better now after the balance mod with upgrade DHC OCC cable. The SS is no longer laid back and notes have fuller body.  there are only so much you can stretch limited by the driver used and price..Apparently, it is not hard to mod balance without the need to hardwire. I enjoy it with HM901 a lot.

The photo was mainly for showing off my newly purchased green case. I think it will help us to get through custom easier as it is just so friendly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back