The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #9,901 of 18,652
Hi all
I have friend who is making a mini jack to mini jack for (see pic!) for my dx50 - amp
BUT obviously I only need a very small lenght of cable.
Can some kind soul advice me on a 'good' quality to buy in EU

ta awfully 

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #9,902 of 18,652
Well, no. It's not that simple, because...
... this statement is untrue. Volume control in particular happens in software prior to the DAC stage. I don't have a full list of what happens where but volume control most definitely happens prior to the DAC. You can confirm this by using the coaxial output and listening to what happens when you adjust the volume.
THANK YOU for this. This is precisely what I've been hoping someone would do (I'd have done it myself but I don't have the instruments).

You can install an older firmware version. Simply follow the upgrade instructions using whichever update.img file you want to install.
Not just risk. It's certain to clip unless you reduce the master volume by another 6dB. This is definitely something that needs to be brought to iBasso's attention. Thanks for finding it.

When I plug the digital out of the DX50 on an external DAC, the main volume control doesn't control anything... always at the same level. 
So I don't think the volume is implemented in the firmware
There is a dedicated volume control in the WM8740, and it work exactly as the volume control of the DX50
But maybe you have some privileged informations about that and I am wrong

Regarding the  EQ: reducing the master volume have no effect on clipping behaviour: clipping occur BEFORE the master volume and will always be there
so there is no solution, except to restrict the EQ sliders to +6dB boost

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #9,903 of 18,652
Question for people complaining about changes in SQ between FW's, do you have EQ on and flat or off?  

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #9,904 of 18,652
  Question for people complaining about changes in SQ between FW's, do you have EQ on and flat or off?  

EQ off. I also tried putting EQ On, +6 across the board, in line with earlier suggestions but still prefer the sound of 1.2.6.

As an aside, before all the debate about the differences between 2.6. and 2.7 had taken place, it's worth noting that I had noticed quite a notable difference going from the one to the other. I walked to work enjoying the hell out of Haim's album, which I got halfway through before getting to the office This was on 1.2.6. I then upgraded the FW whilst at work, then completely forgot about it.

When I walked back from the office, I listened to the second half of the Haim album - and didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. It was less detailed, muddier and narrower - i.e. exactly what others have noted. I then remembered that I had changed the FW, and subsequently checked the forums to find others reporting the same findings. Big conicidence!

I did wonder if it has something to do with HOW we use the DX50? I primarily listen to it on the go, via HO on my IEMs. No additional amp required. I see a lot of people here amping their DX50s and reporting no change in SQ - just a thought....

I've now gone back and forth a couple of times, but think that I will stick with 1.2.6 for now.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #9,906 of 18,652
Hi all.  First time I've posted but been lurking here for a while.  Really enjoy the site.  Upgraded my music experience a lot by getting rid of my bose stuff :p

I'm thinking about buying a DX50 and hopefully getting on in the next shipment.  

I am wondering if any one can say whether they have fixed the bug where the volume would randomly increase to max for no reason.  I would like to own one of these, but not at the possible expense of blowing my ears out.  

Also curious on how much better this will sound than what I have been using (HTC one, Ipod Nano current gen).  

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #9,907 of 18,652
  Hi all.  First time I've posted but been lurking here for a while.  Really enjoy the site.  Upgraded my music experience a lot by getting rid of my bose stuff :p

I'm thinking about buying a DX50 and hopefully getting on in the next shipment.  

I am wondering if any one can say whether they have fixed the bug where the volume would randomly increase to max for no reason.  I would like to own one of these, but not at the possible expense of blowing my ears out.  

Also curious on how much better this will sound than what I have been using (HTC one, Ipod Nano current gen).  

The volume bug is dead and gone (and our eardrums are thankful). SQ gain depends on your source material and headphones. If you use it with mp3 files and the earbuds that came with your One, the gain will be minimal. Use it with FLAC/ALAC and decent headphones and you'll notice the difference.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #9,908 of 18,652
  The volume bug is dead and gone (and our eardrums are thankful). SQ gain depends on your source material and headphones. If you use it with mp3 files and the earbuds that came with your One, the gain will be minimal. Use it with FLAC/ALAC and decent headphones and you'll notice the difference.

Glad to hear the volume bug has been fixed.  It sounded awful.  I have all 320 MP3s and FLAC source files.  I currently have some Beyer 770 PRO 250 ohm, and Vsonic GR07 Bass editions.  

I also have a C&C BH2 portable amp I will probably use with it.  So sounds like it might be worth picking up. 

Also find it interesting I can get a DX50 cheaper on mp4nation than direct from ibasso. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #9,909 of 18,652
  Glad to hear the volume bug has been fixed.  It sounded awful.  I have all 320 MP3s and FLAC source files.  I currently have some Beyer 770 PRO 250 ohm, and Vsonic GR07 Bass editions.  

I also have a C&C BH2 portable amp I will probably use with it.  So sounds like it might be worth picking up. 

Also find it interesting I can get a DX50 cheaper on mp4nation than direct from ibasso. 

Lots of users have spoken very fondly of the DX50 -> BH2 combo, so that should be good. You might want to search this thread for experiences with buying from Mp4Nation...

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #9,910 of 18,652
When you activate the EQ system in v1.2.6 the master volume is automatically reduced by 6 steps allowing for a 12-step range without clipping. The bug in v1.2.7 appears to be that the master volume is reduced by 6 steps when it should be reduced by 12 steps. In order to compensate you just reduce the volume by another 6 steps. This will provide you with 12 steps from +0 to +12 without exceeding the numerical volume or clipping ceiling (volume 255).

Got what you originally meant now, thanks.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #9,911 of 18,652
  Lots of users have spoken very fondly of the DX50 -> BH2 combo, so that should be good. You might want to search this thread for experiences with buying from Mp4Nation...

Well seems like I'll definitely make the purchase.  Seems people's main gripe about mp4nation is how long it takes for shipping.  I'm pretty patient, and if I do indeed get the free gift set of extra IEMs then it will be worth it.  

Very much appreciate the responses.  

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #9,912 of 18,652
No, they weren't. The "x of y" and "x/y" track/disc tag formats are not part of any accepted standards or conventions outside of certain proprietary tools like iTunes and dBpoweramp. DX50 has never supported them directly. The reason that what you say worked actually worked is when DX50 registered those tags as "null" which forced it to rely on file names for sorting. Most of those tag bugs have been fixed.

The solution is to tag your music correctly. That is, number the tracks sequentially within entire albums.

they are properly tagged. take for example Tech n9ne-s killer album. it is a double disc.

the tracks are tagged for artist, album, disc number, track numbers (01,02,03,04,...) and of course titles. heck, even the folder structure is like this: artist > album > disc 1, disc 2... I have no music that has no proper tagging but dx50 still doesn't work with my multy cd albums. it works in every music player I have, be it PC software (foobar for example) sansa clip + (now rockboxed) and every other android or Symbian os smartphones...

~~The solution is to tag your music correctly. That is, number the tracks sequentially within entire albums~~ what do you mean by that? should I give disc 1 tracks the usual 01,02,03... track numbers and start the dic 2 track numbering where the disc 1 tracks ended? (disc 1: 01,02,03,04. disc 2: 05,06,07,08... ) ? I hope this isn't what you mean, because I'm not up to that :/

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #9,913 of 18,652
nihontoman, I abandoned Apple's disc system long ago. I use different album titles for each disc, e.g.
Beatles / White Album [Disc 1] ; 
Beatles / White Album [Disc 2] 
It works for me and is compatible across all platforms.

What ratinox is suggesting is changing the number so that the songs on the two discs are sequential. So if disc 1 has eight songs, the first song on disc 2 will be numbered "09" and so on. That would also work. Personally, I think of classic double albums in terms of LPs/discs so I prefer to keep the discs separate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back