The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #9,646 of 18,652
From my point of view, ibasso ia going to refine the UI as much as possible and prepare that for dx90.
They really work hard on the UI improvement. Even some useless(decorative) stuff like changing wallpaper for the dap. Though the improved scanning and 'working' gapless is promising.

iBasso is quietly working on other stuff, important stuff. For example, the issue with Ogg Vorbis tags showing up as "(null)" for everything? Fixed in 1.2.7 even though it isn't in the changelog. Which, unfortunately for me, breaks the simpler of my two playlist hacks but I can live with that.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #9,648 of 18,652
  Also, if you read the head-fi, you would find most of people like the V1.2.7 the most'

Is there a different head-fi? lol

Eh, screw it, I got two days to relax. I'll probably fool around with 1.2.7 a bit more, just for the sport of it. Even though I didn't like it, I feel bad only giving it 10 songs. 1.2.5 is almost too easy to like, time to try something harder.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #9,649 of 18,652
Funny thing is... read post #8378. Everything that I wrote about 1.2.6 in that article applies to 1.2.7 except the water drops wallpaper and the crossfade which have been addressed in 1.2.7. Everything sounds good.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #9,650 of 18,652
Funny thing is... read post #8378. Everything that I wrote about 1.2.6 in that article applies to 1.2.7 except the water drops wallpaper and the crossfade which have been addressed in 1.2.7. Everything sounds good.

User configurable wallpaper
Sleep function fixed
Swapping microSD cards
Gapless functionality restored with simpler selection
Last song timeline saved

:wink:

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #9,651 of 18,652
Got a dx50 winging its way to me this afternoon. Looking forward to trying it out. Is it worth upgrading to the latest firmware straight away? Any advice? No idea what it will ship with, buying from a UK reseller.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #9,652 of 18,652
Got a dx50 winging its way to me this afternoon. Looking forward to trying it out. Is it worth upgrading to the latest firmware straight away? Any advice? No idea what it will ship with, buying from a UK reseller.

Both 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 have a vastly improved scanning functionality (much faster, 1.2.6 more so, IMHO, than 1.2.7). 1.2.7 has better implementation of gapless (1.2.6 has crossfade instead of gapless), and a better EQ function. Apart from these, and depending on whether one or more of those differences matter to you (and how much) it's mostly down to a personal preference on different sound signatures (most every FW sounds a bit different, and people often prefer one over the other)… so assuming you're getting a relatively recent FW in any case (the older ones had more bugs), it may be worth it to listen a bit to it and then upgrade to see whether any difference in sound signature is or isn't better for you. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #9,653 of 18,652
Both 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 have a vastly improved scanning functionality (much faster, 1.2.6 more so, IMHO, than 1.2.7). 1.2.7 has better implementation of gapless (1.2.6 has crossfade instead of gapless), and a better EQ function. Apart from these, and depending on whether one or more of those differences matter to you (and how much) it's mostly down to a personal preference on different sound signatures (most every FW sounds a bit different, and people often prefer one over the other)… so assuming you're getting a relatively recent FW in any case (the older ones had more bugs), it may be worth it to listen a bit to it and then upgrade to see whether any difference in sound signature is or isn't better for you. 

Thanks, really helpful. Can't wait to have a play, I'm just preparing a bunch of memory cards :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #9,654 of 18,652

It doesn't to be either anymore.  EQ turned off seems to be more around everything on 7.  12 is too loud, but it is just a nudge louder than 7 when turned off.  7 might be fairly accurate to my ears.  

However when the EQ is off there is more bass.  For whatever reason the bass goes up to some unknown variable vs having the EQ on with everything set to the same number.  

Edit : While I usually have always used previous firmware versions with the EQ on with some custom setting, I seem to be unable to figure out what the default EQ is for the unit when it's turned off.  It clearly not straight across.  When using the EQ the settings sound the same when set the same as they were on previous firmware, but you can expand above and below 6 to 12.  But EQ off no longer appears to sound like 6 straight across like it use to.

Edit #2 : K, so anyone who claims the 'stock' EQ setting sounds different than previous firmware I have to agree.  It is not the same.  EQ on with everything set to +6 sounds to me like previous firmware versions with the EQ turned off though.

You can use the EQ to turn the bass , mids and treble to higher levels than the all previous firmware versions though.  7 and higher creates for sound signatures not even possible before.  I like this improved EQ.  Lets me actually give the treble a boost if I so desire.  Something not really possible before.  

Thanks for sharing! I spent a bit of time going back and forth this morning:

I ended up going with EQ on, everything set to 6 on 1.2.7 but I'll say the differences are tiny at best. I'm using the DX50 with the neutral PB2 and the neutral Noble K10 so this might be the reason that the changes don't seem as dramatic to me. If you're going straight from the DX50 into a warm-ish headphone, then adding at bit more warmth from the source might be just that tiny bit too much, making things sound worse? Meh, just a guess. I find the SQ changes to be hardly noticable at all, especially when coming from the DX100. I remember Ibasso making a mistake on the 1.2.3 firmware that screwed the timing of the Sabre DAC, instantly turning all headphones into Beats with muddy boosted bass 
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #9,655 of 18,652

There is .cue support already… the .cue file has to be in the same folder, and should have the same name as the main file, and the DX50 accesses, singly, the different songs which make up the album. For me, it definitely works with both flac and ape files.

Thanks.
Since which fw?

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #9,656 of 18,652
Reverted back to 1.2.2 .. sound as thought I just recieved an upgraded dx50....

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #9,657 of 18,652
  I emailed iBasso regarding the different sound qualities of the different FW updates

My main question was regarding a personal issue where version 1.2.3 sounded so good for me with my own set up but subsequent updates have been 
sounding far more [in general] muddy / fuller / bassy-er until now, with 1.2.7 I find that with all my music I am very aware of bass/low end which for me
is not ideal as I personally prefer a balance of bass/mid/high so that I am not aware of anything prominent in the mix. I understand the impossabilities 
of this from one point of view but I hope some might know what Im trying to say here

ANYWAY I think my question may have been misunderstood or I haven't understood the response. (I was hoping for for a set of presets to represent
the different typs of sound quality that some here have commented on / hated / loved with the different updates)

The answer I got was:

'Thank you for your email.
The changes on the decoding library affect sound.  Which isnt user pre-set EQ.
Also, if you read the head-fi, you would find most of people like the V1.2.7 the most'

I dont want to bother iBasso too much :) but does anyone know what -The changes on the decoding library affect sound- actualy means?

This post is huge. It answers the big question as to why the sound signature moves around with firmware updates.

I am also thinking that it also may partially explain some of the differences in perceptions. For example, I am listening almost exclusively to Lame 320kbps CBR MP3s on the DX50. Someone listening to FLAC may have different changes from FW to FW, and ALAC different again. Am I right on this or would the changes be uniform?

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #9,658 of 18,652

Try firmware 1.2.7. 1.2.2 1.2.5 see which u prefer. Can try 1.2.3 if u only like bass..

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #9,659 of 18,652

This post is huge. It answers the big question as to why the sound signature moves around with firmware updates.

I am also thinking that it also may partially explain some of the differences in perceptions. For example, I am listening almost exclusively to Lame 320kbps CBR MP3s on the DX50. Someone listening to FLAC may have different changes from FW to FW, and ALAC different again. Am I right on this or would the changes be uniform?

correct!!!... and your rig set-up as well...it contributes a lot on the sound quality and on how sound is being perceived... personally, i find the changes from each firmware quite minimally unchanged. but once it was paired with another amp/dac then the sound signature change seems more apparent...

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #9,660 of 18,652
  Thanks for sharing! I spent a bit of time going back and forth this morning:

I ended up going with EQ on, everything set to 6 on 1.2.7 but I'll say the differences are tiny at best. I'm using the DX50 with the neutral PB2 and the neutral Noble K10 so this might be the reason that the changes don't seem as dramatic to me. If you're going straight from the DX50 into a warm-ish headphone, then adding at bit more warmth from the source might be just that tiny bit too much, making things sound worse? Meh, just a guess. I find the SQ changes to be hardly noticable at all, especially when coming from the DX100. I remember Ibasso making a mistake on the 1.2.3 firmware that screwed the timing of the Sabre DAC, instantly turning all headphones into Beats with muddy boosted bass 
biggrin.gif

how was ur sound experience across different firmwares? would u prefer any particular firmware over the others given ur rig set-up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back