The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #9,496 of 18,652
  @geagle: I disagree. I do "ONLY" use FLAC files, and embedded art does not work, on my device.
I cannot say 100% that it does not work on any album, but it definitely was the reason why one fourth of my album art did not show up. Once converted back to Folder.jpg, it works like a charm. (Am just happy I did not earlier convert all my album art to embedded, as someone was recommending again and again on this thread a few weeks ago. I learned from it - not to naively trust what users say on this forum... Some of the advice one finds here is not so reliable... but of course some of it is very helpful.)

I have been experimenting with filenames and tags for a while now and have found a few good rules to make it work reliably. However everything works as long as you follow some guidelines. If you don't have a clean file system and tags, all further reports will be in vain.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #9,497 of 18,652
I have been experimenting with filenames and tags for a while now and have found a few good rules to make it work reliably. However everything works as long as you follow some guidelines. If you don't have a clean file system and tags, all further reports will be in vain.

What software are you using for this? I use media monkey for up converting and loading and I'm really hating media monkey sometimes it works good and mostly it forgets everything I have saved on it. I would like to hear what you use.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #9,498 of 18,652
A reinstall of the firmware and a factory reset did the trick. I have run my DX50 for 4 hours with no problems. The only thing I'm noticing is sound a little weak on the bottom end, it certainly was a lot better on 1.2.6

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #9,499 of 18,652
Anybody noticed a decay in the sound quality of music with the new FW when paired with Fiio E12 Mont Blanc? I agree on those who find it more warm but it has made it a little more congested as well esp. when paired with my Mont Blanc.
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #9,500 of 18,652
Thanks to @SkyBlue for starting a DX50 wallpaper thread, here is the link if anyone wonders:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697316/ibasso-dx50-wallpaper-thread

@sorensiim would you mind adding the link on the first page, I think this would be useful for anyone who wants to contribute or need a ready made wallpaper?

Great idea! I've added the link to the first post and I'll be sure to add a wallpaper section to the FAQ as well (unless you beat me to it).

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #9,501 of 18,652
What software are you using for this? I use media monkey for up converting and loading and I'm really hating media monkey sometimes it works good and mostly it forgets everything I have saved on it. I would like to hear what you use.

General consensus is that MP3Tag (free software from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) works EXTREMELY well to manage your tags, as well as to rename filenames. If, on the other hand, you mean converting from one audio file format to another (say .ape to .flac, or whatever), another good choice is DBPowerAmp (paying software, however). 

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #9,502 of 18,652
I'll do some more tests today and report to you my findings about the tag database and the related .album_image folder on the internal memory. I played with it yesterday when testing the tags and switching cards. There are specific actions you need to undertake in order to have a clean tag database the DX50 can use.

not easy, but i can get the player to scan the files on the internal memory, impossible on a memory card. I use mp3tag and my tags are pretty solid. all flac files - 16/24 bit. strange, i can get it to see the files if i browse by directory, and if i play a track, it will scan that album only. I may have to go back to 1.25 or 1.26 and see what happens.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #9,504 of 18,652

not easy, but i can get the player to scan the files on the internal memory, impossible on a memory card. I use mp3tag and my tags are pretty solid. all flac files - 16/24 bit. strange, i can get it to see the files if i browse by directory, and if i play a track, it will scan that album only. I may have to go back to 1.25 or 1.26 and see what happens.

Hey Mingus, you may have checked already but have you deleted all the extended tags that are sometimes present.  MP3Tag doesn't show them in the default view but if you highlight all your files and hit 'ALT+T' then it will bring up an additional box, any extended tags will show up here.  I had some media scanning issues and cleaning these tags out made a huge difference.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #9,506 of 18,652
FW Update 1.2.7. means a decrease in SQ imho.
its definitely NOT unchanged.

soundstage is far less wide (which is the biggest disadvantage),

highs are overly tamed (therefore no hiss, as a benefit)
mids seem smoother and are maybe a bit "fuller" (maybe better) 
bass is hard to compare with this iem as it has almost none :wink: but it's ok

all in all the sound is more "laid back" but has lost its precise character and edge.

compairing it at the moment against v 1.2.6 
IEM Rock-It R50 (very analytical iem)
Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon 24/96 Vinyl rip Flac

WHY oh why.... 
i want the sound of  1.2.6 AND working gapless... is it too much asked?

any other experiences?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #9,509 of 18,652
The uncritical, pro-manufacturer culture on these headfi forum threads is really peculiar (when one is not such a "fanboy" oneself). The many lightweight posters who express genuine concerns/issues on this thread, over hundreds of pages, are not always helped, but rather sometimes/too often silenced by biased and aggressively self-assured heavy posters (or else one gets into silly disputes like now, when the former dare repeat his/her concerns - that is just ridiculous).
I do not see how denying the problems brought up by some users on this thread helps anything.

Anyhow, to answer to Musicheaven's comments:

!) I do not have to "dispute" anything; just because you (or anyone) claim(s) that something works, does not mean that it works. I just described one thing that doesn't work and explained how I managed to solve it for my own device, and am not 'daring' to "dispute" some holy cow's infallibility or someone's papal bull. So, back to the album art: The embedded art (before I solved the issue with "Folder.jpg" files in every folder) did not show up, neither in the menu selection nor in "my music". (But they did show up on e.g. VLC when inserting the card in a PC.)

2) If you had actually read my text a couple of posts above, you'd have seen that I did still have the embedded album art not working even after I did all possible forms of tag editing and filename editing down to the most minimalistic and conservative possible formats. So the cause of that specific problem does not lie there.

So, embedded art in FLAC files works perfect for some people? - good for them. But it does not work for everyone (and once again, denial never helps, except maybe in matters of faith). On the other hand, the "Folder.jpg" approach (unless one uses OTG as geagle described) seems to work flawless (unless I forgot someone else's post).

But the most important point I wanted to bring to this thread in my original post today is anyway not about album art. It is that, IMHO, the FAQ should mention very clearly that filenames have to be reduced to a really small size, of [how many?] characters. Cleaning up one's tags again and again, and any other steps advised on this thread, will not help if the filenames are not first all drastically downsized. That is even more dramatically the case since FW 1.2.6, as otherwise the DX50 just doesn't scan your cards at all anymore...

So @ people who still have problems, you should really start with shortening all the filenames, and then see how far you are with the scanning issues.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #9,510 of 18,652
  FW Update 1.2.7. means a decrease in SQ imho.
its definitely NOT unchanged.

soundstage is far less wide (which is the biggest disadvantage),

highs are overly tamed (therefore no hiss, as a benefit)
mids seem smoother and are maybe a bit "fuller" (maybe better) 
bass is hard to compare with this iem as it has almost none :wink: but it's ok

all in all the sound is more "laid back" but has lost its precise character and edge.

compairing it at the moment against v 1.2.6 
IEM Rock-It R50 (very analytical iem)
Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon 24/96 Vinyl rip Flac

WHY oh why.... 
i want the sound of  1.2.6 AND working gapless... is it too much asked?

any other experiences?

you sure about that? the hiss comes from the amp, not the dac. so yeah...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back