The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #8,851 of 18,652

Any impressions of the quickstep Soren? Especially maybe compared to the R1 (since that's what Ive been using for a few weeks).

Been half eyeing the quickstep for a bit now

The R1 wins on bass but the Quickstep has an amazing soundstage and detail retrieval. Had it not been shaped so oddly, my quest for amp perfection would have been over. I still have half a mind to build an alternative case for it, making it rechargeable and lithium powered in the process. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #8,852 of 18,652
Yah same here. DX50/BH2 with fiio bands.

Not a bad combo at all - especially for the size!

The R1 wins on bass but the Quickstep has an amazing soundstage and detail retrieval. Had it not been shaped so oddly, my quest for amp perfection would have been over. I still have half a mind to build an alternative case for it, making it rechargeable and lithium powered in the process. 
biggrin.gif

Sorensiim you really need to stop suggesting such things, you've already turned down requests for building custom Inter-connects, you're now faced with turning down my request for building me a new case and making mine rechargeable (I couldn't resist it - another head-fi'er was selling a quickstep so it's now winging it's way over to me!!)

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #8,853 of 18,652

Not a bad combo at all - especially for the size!

Sorensiim you really need to stop suggesting such things, you've already turned down requests for building custom Inter-connects, you're now faced with turning down my request for building me a new case and making mine rechargeable (I couldn't resist it - another head-fi'er was selling a quickstep so it's now winging it's way over to me!!)

Check out ebay for 11.1V rechargable lipo cells, I spoke with Jan Meier about it and plugging such a lipo to the DC input of a Quickstep will most certainly work fine. Then all you need is a case to fit it in...

Madness is contagious - I should probably come with a warning label or something. Nah, 5 out of 8 voices in my head say that I'm perfectly normal.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #8,854 of 18,652
Dec 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #8,855 of 18,652
... and those other three, well who cares what they think anyway 
blink.gif

With regards to the Lipo cell - not something I've ever done before - perhaps if the madness prevails you could form a detailed how to for those of us who have no idea - time permitting of course.  Now I just need your review on the PB2 to confirm if it is the portable solution for the DX50.  
I must admit I nearly almost went with the PB2 yesterday but thought if the Quick step doesn't work out then I could always sell it and not lose too much (given its already second hand). The PB2 will just have to wait until the new year.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8,856 of 18,652
... and those other three, well who cares what they think anyway :blink:

With regards to the Lipo cell - not something I've ever done before - perhaps if the madness prevails you could form a detailed how to for those of us who have no idea - time permitting of course.  Now I just need your review on the PB2 to confirm if it is the portable solution for the DX50.  
I must admit I nearly almost went with the PB2 yesterday but thought if the Quick step doesn't work out then I could always sell it and not lose too much (given its already second hand). The PB2 will just have to wait until the new year.

I'm actually thinking about VorzAMP duo for my DX50. Well just thinking lol. I'll go with Noble 4 first instead of getting a new amp. I'm all good with BH2 as of now.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #8,857 of 18,652
I feel like I may have found out the issue I've been having with my DX50 and its random constant freezing issues between mostly all firmware versions.  Let's say this is most certainly not a very user friendly device.  

First off, the factory reset option from within the operating system only resets the OS configuring to its default settings.  If you performed a firmware update you have to plug it into the computer to delete the firmware upgrade file from the internal memory, per the instructions of the included .txt file.  

This OS based factory reset doesn't delete anything inside that img folder on the root of the internal memory.  That being the database of every track it scanned on the SD card.  After each firmware upgrade, or downgrade even I would perform a factory reset from the OS and stick my SD card in and let it perform a full scan.  The DX50 obviously doesn't know how to handle entries that already exist in its database, so if you perform a full sd card scan when that img folder already has stuff in it it will create duplicates of every track that it already scanned before and stick an additional unique ID at the end of each.  I went in to browse the contents of this folder to realize that it had like 6 copies of every song in there.  over 16,000 files.

I then essentially sort of broke the internal memory by formatting it from within Windows.  This caused it to no longer show up as a mounted drive anymore.  Had to go in recovery mode on the DX50 to perform the factory reset there, to then notice that this factory reset has one extra step in it.  It formats the internal memory.  The drive then showed back up again in Windows with that img folder created, but empty.  

Then I insert my SD card, performed a full scan, stuck it back in my computer to see it had about 2,700 files in it.  So apparently that's all it should have, not 6+ duplicates of everything.  However then I unplugged the DX50 from my computer and up came the screen to scan the sd card again or browse files.  I should have hit browse files, but I hit the X in the top right corner thinking it would have the same effect but instead it performs another full SD card scan causing duplicates of everything.  Lol....   so I entered recovery mode again, factory reset and format, scanned the card again and left it at that.

I haven't experienced a single freeze since Friday, when I did this.  Not even from pausing and unpausing which would often times cause freezes before.  This is the most perfectly stable I've ever seen it.  Still using firmware 1.2.5 now though because I need a working gapless.  Hoping I go the rest of the week without issue, then I'll be super happy.  

Things to take away from this:
- The DX50 is incredibly fragile.  Do not perform sd card scans without ensuring the internal memory has actually been formatted first or the tracks being scanned haven't already been scanned.  The OS has very poor logic for handling scans and instead so easily makes a mess out of itself.
- This explains why the player was pretty stable the first week I got it and after I upgraded to firmware 1.2.3b because I was forced into a factory reset from the recovery menu.
- What iBasso

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #8,860 of 18,652
I'm actually thinking about VorzAMP duo for my DX50. Well just thinking lol. I'll go with Noble 4 first instead of getting a new amp. I'm all good with BH2 as of now.

That Vorz does look good, its about 3 Christmas' worth though - expensive. Your right though, for a portable rig the BH is Large SQ in (relatively) small form factor :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #8,862 of 18,652
Well then why not just ignore the scanning/database issue and happily listen to music at jaw dropping quality with the DX50?
wink.gif

Because before it plays a file it still has to scan the folder its in and add it to some database.  Lol.  There's no avoiding it.  Just have to keep it clean.  

If you bypass the full sd card scan and jump right into browsing the folder structure on the SD card it stops and scans that folder before it starts playing.  It'll perform a scan of each folder you browse to before you can play that folder for the first time, unless you perform the full SD card scan from the start.  

However if you are both playing files from all folders, and seemingly have no database folder on the internal memory, you should instruct as how this is done.  lol  :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #8,863 of 18,652
  I feel like I may have found out the issue I've been having with my DX50 and its random constant freezing issues between mostly all firmware versions.  Let's say this is most certainly not a very user friendly device.  

First off, the factory reset option from within the operating system only resets the OS configuring to its default settings.  If you performed a firmware update you have to plug it into the computer to delete the firmware upgrade file from the internal memory, per the instructions of the included .txt file.  

This OS based factory reset doesn't delete anything inside that img folder on the root of the internal memory.  That being the database of every track it scanned on the SD card.  After each firmware upgrade, or downgrade even I would perform a factory reset from the OS and stick my SD card in and let it perform a full scan.  The DX50 obviously doesn't know how to handle entries that already exist in its database, so if you perform a full sd card scan when that img folder already has stuff in it it will create duplicates of every track that it already scanned before and stick an additional unique ID at the end of each.  I went in to browse the contents of this folder to realize that it had like 6 copies of every song in there.  over 16,000 files.

I then essentially sort of broke the internal memory by formatting it from within Windows.  This caused it to no longer show up as a mounted drive anymore.  Had to go in recovery mode on the DX50 to perform the factory reset there, to then notice that this factory reset has one extra step in it.  It formats the internal memory.  The drive then showed back up again in Windows with that img folder created, but empty.  

Then I insert my SD card, performed a full scan, stuck it back in my computer to see it had about 2,700 files in it.  So apparently that's all it should have, not 6+ duplicates of everything.  However then I unplugged the DX50 from my computer and up came the screen to scan the sd card again or browse files.  I should have hit browse files, but I hit the X in the top right corner thinking it would have the same effect but instead it performs another full SD card scan causing duplicates of everything.  Lol....   so I entered recovery mode again, factory reset and format, scanned the card again and left it at that.

I haven't experienced a single freeze since Friday, when I did this.  Not even from pausing and unpausing which would often times cause freezes before.  This is the most perfectly stable I've ever seen it.  Still using firmware 1.2.5 now though because I need a working gapless.  Hoping I go the rest of the week without issue, then I'll be super happy.  

Things to take away from this:
- The DX50 is incredibly fragile.  Do not perform sd card scans without ensuring the internal memory has actually been formatted first or the tracks being scanned haven't already been scanned.  The OS has very poor logic for handling scans and instead so easily makes a mess out of itself.
- This explains why the player was pretty stable the first week I got it and after I upgraded to firmware 1.2.3b because I was forced into a factory reset from the recovery menu.
- What iBasso

Email them with something constructive. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8,865 of 18,652

Your totally right about this mate. I've noticed it when I changed the resolution of my tracks album art. You need to delete the folder manually or use the recovery mode to wipe everything out. I never use the factory reset. Its not really working as it should.

I'm still happy with my DX50

That Vorz does look good, its about 3 Christmas' worth though - expensive. Your right though, for a portable rig the BH is Large SQ in (relatively) small form factor :)

It is indeed lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back