The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #8,762 of 18,652
Ya, currently both forward and back play a random song...

unlike every single other player that forward is a random song, backwards plays the last one...

Kinda weird, but a small price to pay for great SQ.

The UI seems to keep getting better anyways, so maybe they will change this.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #8,763 of 18,652
Ya, currently both forward and back play a random song...

unlike every single other player that forward is a random song, backwards plays the last one...

Kinda weird, but a small price to pay for great SQ.

The UI seems to keep getting better anyways, so maybe they will change this.

Ok you lost me there. I thought when you mentioned "Last song button" you were referring to the previous button and it plays the last (previous?) song when you press it.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #8,765 of 18,652
Well, its a simple android system so i expect at some point tosee people hacking some rockbox or other

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #8,766 of 18,652
IBasso has implemented a random play for both directions contrary to other players. It sounds like they can change that through firmware so let's hope that will happen.

So that explains what is happening -:)

Well if you want a quick workaround and if you are playing a CD and you what to go to the next track or the previous one for that matter then you are best to use the "Now Playing" menu option from My Music on the touch screen.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #8,767 of 18,652
Well, its a simple android system so i expect at some point tosee people hacking some rockbox or other

Several of us have looked into it.

Unfortunately, it's more likely to happen later than sooner. While DX50 uses Android, mango (the player program) isn't an Android application. It runs natively on the system and drives the display directly. The firmware image files that are/were available from iBasso's site have been stripped of just about everything that isn't needed to make the device work and launch mango at boot. Running Android applications can't happen with DX50 as-is.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #8,768 of 18,652
Hello all,
I just got my DX50 from iBasso. The player came with 1.2.6. So far I have had the player running for a couple of hours.
Sounds really good. I am curious what are the sound issues people are having with pairing RE400s with this player. They sound pretty amazing with some HD Tracks @ 24/96 FLAC?

Regards
Jeff

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #8,769 of 18,652
I've been exploring HD tracks too with DX50, JDS C5 and Heir Audio 4ai. Thinking of adding stage diver SD2 or SD3. Probably SD3.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #8,770 of 18,652
Hello again,
Wow for an all in one portable device this thing sounds amazing! I am so glad I never got to hear the older firmware versions! Nice deep sound stage with great separation. I am very happy with this player!

Regards
Jeff

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #8,771 of 18,652
Is there a difference in SQ between 1.2.5 and 1.2.6?

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #8,772 of 18,652
From a purely electrical view point, less gain is better. Less gain = less distortion = cleaner signal out = better-sounding music assuming your headphones or speakers are sensitive enough to make a difference. Less gain also means less power draw which can be important for portable kit.

??
Let's say you want your signal to have 3V, you can achieve it by increasing gain or volume. A priori, Why should it be better to do it by increasing only the volume? Volume is also a source of distortion. 
Someone kowns if different gain=different impedance ?
The closest the "out" impedance to the "in" the better the coupling.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #8,773 of 18,652

Read this. It's my brief introduction to gain:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-6/7515#post_10011693

Increasing gain (voltage ratio) distorts the signal. Small gain changes make small distortions. Larger gain changes make larger distortions.

One of the neat things about handling volume adjustments in the digital domain is that it's math rather than applying voltage changes to electrical signals. There's no distortion in the digital domain unless your math introduces it either by mistake or intent.

Put these two together and you get this: higher volume setting/lower gain should have less distortion than lower volume setting/higher gain. In other words, higher volume/lower gain should offer the best signal to noise ratio for the same headphones. This assumes that the lower gain setting provides enough power to drive those headphones. If it doesn't then you won't get distortion out of the jack but the it will still sound bad.

Whether or not you can perceive the distortions that the voltage gain settings on the headphone jack introduce is a different matter. My opinion is that it isn't the player's fault. I suspect that the reported noise associated with the high gain setting has more to do with cheap battery packs providing dirty or insufficient power to the op-amp than it does with how iBasso implemented it. This really is one of those things that you have to experiment with to find what sounds best to you, and this may include swapping the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back