The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #8,431 of 18,652
I have never used a screen protector with mine. No scratches and my hands aren't always clean. The surface is hard and holds up well. They use the same screen as the AK100. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #8,432 of 18,652
As to the EQ, as I understand it, the critics are not stating the hear no difference.  Rather, they would like the sliders to make a greater relative change than they do.

Those expressions have been couched in terms like, "I have never even come close to hearing an EQ that is that useless". A 3dB-6dB bass and/or treble boost is common enough in portable headphone amplifiers. DX50 with its 6dB EQ range is in good company and is most certainly quite useful for its intended use: listening with headphones.

DX50 is not pro audio. It's not going to get a 31-band parametric equalizer. It's not going to get +/- 20dB gain/attenuation per band. If that's what you want then I suggest that you look elsewhere.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #8,433 of 18,652
Speaking of that screen protector, I have been using my DX50 without the one that was included since I borked the thing during application.  Don't know where to get replacements from, seems not cost effective for anyone to order them from China.

You can find inexpensive screen protectors in the portable video game section of your local Toys R Us or equivalent. Cut down to fit and you're golden.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #8,434 of 18,652
Please note, I have no complaints with respect to the EQ and, in fact, rarely use EQ on any unit.  I typically find EQ included in this type of unit to do much more harm then good.  Of course, when DAPs include multi-band minimum phase IIR parametric filters my position may change.

I am merely trying to fairly describe what appears to be the complaint with respect to EQ.  These do not appear to be couched in terms of "I cannot hear any change" but, rather, "The change is not big enough."

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8,435 of 18,652

Ew.  

Speaking of that screen protector, I have been using my DX50 without the one that was included since I borked the thing during application.  Don't know where to get replacements from, seems not cost effective for anyone to order them from China.  

My screen still looks like new, however, despite being naked. 

It came with 2. I installed the first one upside down. The round edge was in the bottom. So i took it off and installed the second one. you can just walk into any place that sells screen protector and ask the employee to cut one out for you.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8,436 of 18,652
Those expressions have been couched in terms like, "I have never even come close to hearing an EQ that is that useless". A 3dB-6dB bass and/or treble boost is common enough in portable headphone amplifiers. DX50 with its 6dB EQ range is in good company and is most certainly quite useful for its intended use: listening with headphones.

DX50 is not pro audio. It's not going to get a 31-band parametric equalizer. It's not going to get +/- 20dB gain/attenuation per band. If that's what you want then I suggest that you look elsewhere.

@Nope. I'm amazed and amused at how subtle changes can provoke such extreme negative responses along side claims that the EQ "does nothing" when it can change sound shapes by much larger degrees than the tweaks iBasso has been making"

Dear Ratinox
please appreciate that people have different views and experiences than you and be a tad more respectful
Thank you

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #8,439 of 18,652
Guys, I'm not trying to derail this thread but I am looking for advice as to how I should incorporate my DX50 into a desktop set up.

My questions are

1) Will a DX50 work as a source with a decent amp and cans or should my source be higher end?

2) Is it acceptable to have the DX50 feeding into a desktop setup through the lineout (thereby relying on the DX50's inbuilt DAC)?

3) Assuming the DX50 does slot into a decent desktop setup without being the weakest link then I am thinking of the following

Ibasso DX50 (FLAC files) > Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable > Bottlehead Crack or similar > Sennheiser HD700's.

Please comment on whether my idea is sound or royally sucks, it is easy to find info on individual component audio parts but not so easy finding out how which items hook up together well.

I would also love any suggestions as to a desktop setup with the DX50, any combo of amp, cans, cabling would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #8,442 of 18,652
  Is it worth upgrading from a Cowon Z2 to this if I want better sounding audio?

Having owned a Z2, C2 X7 and X9, the DX50 is definitely a step up.  Just know that you won't have the flexibility that the Z2 allows in terms of EQ.  The DX50 does have a functioning EQ but you cannot manipulate the sound like you can with the Cowon products (if you don't use those functions on the Cowon then it doesn't even matter).  Additionally, playlists on the DX50 don't really allow the level of use I expect from a DAP however, it has been suggested that this will change with future firmware updates.  Hope that helps.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #8,444 of 18,652
Guys, I'm not trying to derail this thread but I am looking for advice as to how I should incorporate my DX50 into a desktop set up.

My questions are

1) Will a DX50 work as a source with a decent amp and cans or should my source be higher end?

I would also love any suggestions as to a desktop setup with the DX50, any combo of amp, cans, cabling would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Well I have used mine from Line out into a Fatman 202 Valve Amp (with upgraded original GEC KT88 Valves) and a Revolver 3 speakers, I.e. Not into headphones but hopefully still a useful comparator , and find the result more than acceptable. I don't think the its as good as my Sony SACD player, but it's very pleasant. Bass isn't boomy at all, just perhaps not as much clarity of depth of soundstage as the Sony, but I am playing 320 MP3s and some flac, so perhaps not a fair comparison. Difference with my ipod classic line out is like night & day.

I love my DX50 into Leckerton UHA-6S II (with the tubey OPamps) into both my UE super fi pros or sennheiser HD600. The sound is incredibly valve like and the warmth & softness of the Leckerton amplifier with those OPamps compliments the clarity and separation of the DX50 well.

I use a ZY HIFI Cable Silver Cable 3.5mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Cable for my DX50 line out to the Leckerton headphone amp and it provides the basis for a warm deep rich sound without costing the earth. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A2QJPFS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_it_ws_gb?ie=UTF8

I do think its a really great sounding DAP across such diverse genres as prog rock to classical music.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #8,445 of 18,652

My questions are

2) Is it acceptable to have the DX50 feeding into a desktop setup through the lineout (thereby relying on the DX50's inbuilt DAC)?

3) Assuming the DX50 does slot into a decent desktop setup without being the weakest link then I am thinking of the following

Ibasso DX50 (FLAC files) > Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable > Bottlehead Crack or similar > Sennheiser HD700's.

Please comment on whether my idea is sound or royally sucks, it is easy to find info on individual component audio parts but not so easy finding out how which items hook up together well.

Thanks in advance guys.

The DX50 is a great source. Not just "good for the money", but great. The DAC is very well implemented and the lineout is extremely clean, so by all means, go ahead with your plans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back