The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7,532 of 18,652
 Thanks Ratinox.
So, for 24 bit songs at a lower volume, lower resolution? Or does de Wolfson add bits to keep the resolution untouched?

I don't know the answer to that. As I wrote above, shifting is a doubling of value which roughly corresponds to a doubling of power/volume. The part that I don't understand is in the digital to analog conversion stage. It's easy to say, but the actual processing? I don't understand the math.

As for clipping and "resolution"? I could go on at length about that but this isn't the forum for it.

it's simple IMHO... if u have wider space to shift ur digital data(left or right) u willn't have clipping... thats why 24 bits are better...u can place ur sound in the middle -- and let user to define volume...if u have several spare bits -- it will be perfect volume control

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #7,534 of 18,652
it's simple IMHO... if u have wider space to shift ur digital data(left or right) u willn't have clipping... thats why 24 bits are better...u can place ur sound in the middle -- and let user to define volume...if u have several spare bits -- it will be perfect volume control

I understand that part. More bits means wider dynamic range means less chance of clipping.

It's turning bits back into sounds without distortion or clipping that I don't fully grasp. I understand the principles of it, but I don't know the specifics of how Wolfson's DAC does it.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #7,537 of 18,652
DAC out vs X3 DAC out without the amp section getting into the way which one is better? 

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #7,538 of 18,652
mmmm 24 is tooo enough to encode sound... u'll never hear all 24 bit...but it's leave space to modify sound volume

The WM8740 specs says it can handle 24 bits words and that it has an attenuator, which means it shifts rihgt which is ok so the clipping is in the LSB (less significant bit)
The question is: Does the WM8740 adds 8 bits to the 24 bits to make attenuation happen or it just drops the LSB?

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #7,539 of 18,652
Mine is arrived today. I really can't believe how good it sounds. Now I understand what my UE900 ara cablable of... such a great bass that I hadn't heard since now!

Now I must try it with TripleFI, R3 gentle given by MP4 Nation and Senny HD598.

Finally the DAP I was waiting for!

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #7,541 of 18,652
May I get some advise chosing an amp for the dx50?
Currently looking at SR71 or pico power.
Hissing or noise would be a major nono.

Why do you need an extra amp for dx50, it already has an good amp.....I am missing anything here?

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #7,542 of 18,652
May I get some advise chosing an amp for the dx50?
Currently looking at SR71 or pico power.
Hissing or noise would be a major nono.

I have just - as in today - got a Leckerton UHA 6S MK11! It's a DAC/AMP although most people seem to think the Amp is excellent, the DAC less so.

After one listen - the Amp seems good.

You can pair the Dx50 via line out to Leckerton Amp or coaxial to Leckerton DAC/Amp

Full review to follow

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #7,543 of 18,652
  Sorry to disappoint, but I don't work for Ibasso. And it has been stated multiple times that the lack of a USB DAC is due to a hardware/driver access limitation, so don't expect the DX50 to ever  work as a USB DAC. 

Reply 15.11.2013 iBasso Audio

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will try to develop the USB-DAC function for the DX50 in the near future.
Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #7,545 of 18,652
I don't know the answer to that. As I wrote above, shifting is a doubling of value which roughly corresponds to a doubling of power/volume. The part that I don't understand is in the digital to analog conversion stage. It's easy to say, but the actual processing? I don't understand the math.

As for clipping and "resolution"? I could go on at length about that but this isn't the forum for it.

read this: http://www.esstech.com/PDF/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back