The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7,411 of 18,652
Can the people who are using more than one micro SD card comment on how that is performing for you?

Let's say you are using 2 64G cards.  Does it scan both of them and then have database reference internal so that it requires minimum startup time when you change?  Or does it perform a full scan each time you change the cards?

That post earlier today for a 40 buck 64G card at best buy and amazon is too good to pass up.  And I have bins full of CDs to rip yet.  I can easily fill two.

Thanks for any info.

It's no as smart as you might think. When you switch the card you need to rescan and it deletes the prior content. To enable an appropriate scan, I needed to pop the card out twice as per indicated by Sorensiim. Then you got to wait for a full scan, in my case 20 minutes, then you can use your card but the prior sd card scan is definitively gone. So this is not too flexible as you got to wait a long time to get the scan done whenever you switch the card. You can just say the hell with the scan and use directory browsing but I found that it does not work at all as it starts scanning when you select a tune and then it drops in the my music page with nothing to play. If I need to switch card, I think I'll do it when I need to kill 20 minutes or just do it prior to going to bed, if I am not using the player in bed.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #7,412 of 18,652
  Portability is one reason. Not being locked into Apple's ecosystem is another.

It's less about how long I'm away and more about what I might want to listen to right now. I tend to keep things on an album shuffle but sometimes I find myself wanting something specific. It's nice having it there. Do I need it? No. Is it convenient? Yes. See previous about portability.

Portability does not mean you have to sacrifice the experience of listening to a Hifi music which is most of the time can only be done at home/desktop setup. At least for me HiFi on the go is what DX50 is for.  You take that out then DX50 does not look appealing anymore.

And how does having an iPod is getting locked to Apple's echo system? That is a BS haters say. I buy product which I think is the right fit/use for me not because anyone else tells me so. Same reason I got DX50, which I waited for sometime to get the most annoying bug sorted before I jumped in.
Thanks to this thread for constant flow of information from eager early batch owners 
beerchug.gif

+ 1 - I agree having your collection with you all the time has nothing to do with what you can afford to listen on a day or how long you going to travel. You never know what your mood is on a given day and the music you want to listen to. 

Though I  

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #7,413 of 18,652
Thanks - this one looks possible : Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone . That gives me two bites of the cherry either use the DAC of the DX50 & LO or the coaxial of the DX50 and the DAC of the Leckerton.

Has anyone paired up a DX50 with the Leckerton ?

Is the the best Opamp, ieOPA627 worth paying an extra 50 bucks for?

Cheers

I got the Leckerton UHA-4 with OPA627. So far I can tell it extracts great amount of detail out of DX50 LO. Though it decrease the thump on the sub bass a little bit. Extremely quiet and comparable to O2 less the maximum power delivery. 

I have not heard the other opamp options so I can't tell if the 50 bucks is worth it.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #7,414 of 18,652
I also made sure all files were tagged correctly with no unnecessary info and removed all album artwork from each individual file and only placing the album art (titled 'Folder.jpg') in each album folder. I made sure that all album artwork was no more than 500x500 pixels. I double-checked that all folders were neat and only contained the music files and the Folder.jpg.

Very good advice if you want to minimise both initial and later boot scan time.
I think if you take the extra time to arrange your music correctly and use the proper microSD card than you can really enjoy this player with no hassles and headaches. Now I realize I've only had this unit for only a few days, but I am confident this device is going to serve me well. And I understand there are going to be some lemons out there, but I think all the scanning issues and missing files can be resolved with special attention and precaution.

True... But when most sources don't require this level of discipline to work properly, then this should be unnecessary and not required to enjoy your purchase. And clearly iBasso agree. Otherwise they did not have to go to the trouble of requesting me to sell them one of my 64Gb MicroSD cards loaded with files that are causing these slow or incomplete scans. To quote them...

Hi,
Thank you very much for sending the card to me. We will fix all the problems on the following firmware.
Please let me know the cost in USD. I am going to send you a paypal payment.
Have a good weekend.

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #7,415 of 18,652
Very good advice if you want to minimise both initial and later boot scan time.
True... But when most sources don't require this level of discipline to work properly, then this should be unnecessary and not required to enjoy your purchase. And clearly iBasso agree. Otherwise they did not have to go to the trouble of requesting me to sell them one of my 64Gb MicroSD cards loaded with files that are causing these slow or incomplete scans. To quote them...

Hi,
Thank you very much for sending the card to me. We will fix all the problems on the following firmware.
Please let me know the cost in USD. I am going to send you a paypal payment.
Have a good weekend.

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio

Gotta love these guys :D

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #7,416 of 18,652

And how does having an iPod is getting locked to Apple's echo system? That is a BS haters say. I buy product which I think is the right fit/use for me not because anyone else tells me so. Same reason I got DX50, which I waited for sometime to get the most annoying bug sorted before I jumped in.

For example: only Apple-approved amplifiers can receive signals directly from an iPod or iPhone's DAC.

I'm not an Apple hater and I'm certainly not an iPod hater. I've owned iPods of every generation but the first, and two iPod Touches, and I still have my 2nd gen 20GB (working) and my 5th gen 60GB (flaky). I don't like where Apple is going. The HDD-based iPod is a dead end. It's all about touch screens these days and for the foreseeable future. Sticking with Apple means iPod Touch and iPhone and those really are a lock-in to Apple's garden.

My old 120GB iPod Classic died recently (HDD failure) so I was in need of a new player. I had a number of options before me this time around. I chose DX50 because it is light and compact. I chose DX50 because of reviews here and elsewhere describing it as having good sound quality and good build quality. I chose DX50 because I can swap the battery with almost no effort. I chose DX50 because the uSDXC support promises 2TB storage once someone figures out how to make a flash chip that small. I chose DX50 because the Android foundation opens up the possibility of hacking the device. I chose DX50 because the price was within my budget.

I'm unlikely to ever get everything out of my DX50 that it can possibly deliver. That's fine by me. I prefer my toys to be capable of delivering more to them being incapable of delivering enough. Perhaps some day soon I will be able to use a 1TB or 2TB card in my DX50. Perhaps some day soon I will be able to afford to drop a thousand bucks or more on headphones and a matching amplifier. Until that day comes I will get by with what I have. That's good enough for me.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #7,417 of 18,652
I got the Leckerton UHA-4 with OPA627. So far I can tell it extracts great amount of detail out of DX50 LO. Though it decrease the thump on the sub bass a little bit. Extremely quiet and comparable to O2 less the maximum power delivery. 

I have not heard the other opamp options so I can't tell if the 50 bucks is worth it.

OK since you have the two of them can I drill down further.

Can you order these combinations in order of preference and why? That would be very helpful

1. DX50 through its amp

2. DX50 through line our combined with the Leckerton

3. DX50 through coaxial into the Leckerton

4. You mentioned the O2 which is a lot cheaper how does that compare.

Cheers

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #7,419 of 18,652
It's no as smart as you might think. When you switch the card you need to rescan and it deletes the prior content....

Musicheaven.  Thanks.  That is what I suspected.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #7,420 of 18,652
I thought I'd share some further findings that seem to dramatically impact scan times.

I usually keep my tags pretty clean but even after the suggestions I made in post#6841 I was still not getting some of the scan times I've seen quoted in this thread.  I've heard people say it takes around 5 mins to scan a 64GB card, well mine was scanning correctly but still took around 30 mins.

Here are the further steps I took to reduce my scan times:
Using Mp3Tag I brought in all the tracks on the 64GB card and removed all but the ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK NO., TITLE, YEAR and GENRE.
Initially I thought that was it, no other tags to clean, but after some digging around I found that there are extended tags, some what less supported but still locations to store further information about the track.
In Mp3Tag, highlight all your tracks [CTRL+A] in the menu bar, select 'View' and select 'Extended Tags', this brings up an additional box that lists all the other types of tags hidden in your music files.  To remove all unwanted tags (again I removed all but the ones listed above), click on a tag and hit the red cross (it should now say'<blank>'), then select the next tag you want to remove and hit the cross again. Work your way down the list and repeat as needed, but be careful not to delete ones that you want.  Once you've repeated this for all unwanted tags simply press okay, and this will automatically prompt the save tags dialog.

Initially I had around 50 extra categories of information buried across my library and I am pretty certain that this added load to the scan process and was the reason for taking so long.

Just to clearly outline what I now have:
Scandisk MicroSD Class 10 64GB card with 2,525 tracks on it, totaling 55.7GB.  This is made up of 1,532 flac files totaling 47.9GB and 993 mp3 files totaling 7.8GB.
It used to scan in around 30 mins, I have just scanned it in 5mins 09secs.

One additional point worth noting is that if I changed content on my card and had to rescan it would always freeze.  It seemed to be unable to clear the old database/rebuild the new one on top of it.  I could only get around this by [volume + and power] factory resetting it and then starting the 30min scan start. Now if I change content on the card it is able to rebuild the new database without requiring me to factory reset.

For those of us that have and still are experiencing freezing or endless scans then I think it's seriously worth looking at the tags of the files.  If you have converted your own CD collection then perhaps your library is far less cluttered with unwanted tags but if you download your music (and I'm on about purchased downloads too) then it's worth spending 5 mins to take a look!!

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #7,422 of 18,652
OK since you have the two of them can I drill down further.

Can you order these combinations in order of preference and why? That would be very helpful

1. DX50 through its amp

2. DX50 through line our combined with the Leckerton

3. DX50 through coaxial into the Leckerton

4. You mentioned the O2 which is a lot cheaper how does that compare.

Cheers

For Portability.

2 - 1 - 4

On my desk

4 - 2 - 1

UHA-4 extracts more details especially on the highs compared to DX50 amp. Bass much cleaner and tighter on UHA-4 than DX50. I think this is due to the volume control of DX50 is implemented on the DAC itself. With UHA-4 or any other external amp you can crank up the volume to 255 and let the UHA-4 get the maximum dynamics and control the volume the goes to your phone. With DX50 amp of course you can't set the volume up to 255 without busting your hearing so it appears the DX50 lose out on details. Also the bass gets muddy and bleed out to the mids when you set the volume load enough to hear the minute details in the mids and highs. I suppose if they had implemented the volume control on the amp and set the DAC volume fixed to 255 then the DX50 amp may have performed equally with UHA-4.

UHA-4 and O2 appears to be on the same level extracting details out of DX50's LO. Again I think that is because in both case I can crank the volume all the way up to 255.The bass on O2 has more thump amd impact compared to UHA-4. Separation appears to be on the same level. I can't really tell if there is a difference in soundstage. Another thing to note using O2 with sensitive IEM is very limited when it comes to volume travel. I suppose with bigger cans I'm pretty sure O2 will win hands down against UHA-4.

Apparently UHA-4 offers more portability compared to O2 and SQ wise with sensitive IEM UHA-4 doesn't lose out to O2. But on the desktop setup O2 is much more flexible against UHA-4. Having said that, I tried UHA-4 with my Beyerdynamic T1 and it has no problem driving it. With my current collection of headphone/IEM UHA-4 as an amp pretty much covered all my usage scenario.

However, I'm planning to get an ODAC board and upgrade my O2 to O2+ODAC which I intend to serve as my desktop rig. Seems like I can let go of the PHA-1 and Hifi-M8.

But at the end of the day, if I am left with only Dx50 and no amp, it won't bother me I will still enjoy listening to it's sound.

-- 3. UHA-4 does not have coaxial input. So this scenario is not applicable.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #7,423 of 18,652
Amped and unamped 50 sounds great with my th900. Great stuff!

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,424 of 18,652
Out of interest, does anyone know anywhere that sells really short 3.5mm interconnects (preferably in the UK)? The shortest I've found is FiiO's L8 but I'd like as little "excess" cable as possible. I'd love to have a go at a DIY one like Sorensiim's but I lack the tools and any sort of aptitude with projects like that!

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #7,425 of 18,652
  Out of interest, does anyone know anywhere that sells really short 3.5mm interconnects (preferably in the UK)? The shortest I've found is FiiO's L8 but I'd like as little "excess" cable as possible. I'd love to have a go at a DIY one like Sorensiim's but I lack the tools and any sort of aptitude with projects like that!

Alo Audio sells one but the price is steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back