The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #7,397 of 18,652
  I've just put my music onto the new SD card. Turns out I can take my entire library with me, just about!

My DX50 is currently in France, set to arrive Monday afternoon. Hurry up Fedex!

Ready to rock on with DX50 out of the box
happy_face1.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #7,400 of 18,652
I'm on day three with my dx50 (fw v1.2.5) and I am really enjoying this little player. I have to admit that when I first operated this machine I did it with anxiety, thinking something was going to go wrong or the unit wasn't going to function properly after reading some of the horror stories on this thread. I am happy to report everything has been working flawlessly; all buttons work, no scanning issues, no missing files, and no freezes.

I first installed about 2gb of music on the internal storage, scanned quickly with no additional scans after powering off/on. Then I loaded about 25gb of music (all my music is about 98% FLAC and the rest MP3) onto 64gb microSDXC card using my Meenova card reader. I inserted the microSD into the dx50 and it immediately prompted me to scan, so I did thinking it was going to take 10 + minutes and it only took maybe 5 minutes, and only scans for a couple seconds when powering back on. I spent a considerable amount of time last night going through the dx50 and checking for missing file and I found none, all my music is there.

So far, I'm not really buying into all the hype of "Golden DX50" units. I think if you use the correct microSD card (iBasso clearly states on their website to use microSD (XC or HC)) and I would highly recommend paying a little extra and getting one from a reputable manufacturer and not a cheap knock-off. Secondly, take some precaution with the music files. I spent a week prior to getting the dx50 re-ripping my music using dBpoweranp CD ripper (original music was ALAC; iTunes and I wanted to make sure everything was done right instead of just converting to FLAC). I chose to use FLAC because I'm confident that it is a stable codec and heard the dx50 has had problems with ALAC (that's another piece of advice, if you hear there a problems with certain firmware or files, then stay away from them). I also made sure all files were tagged correctly with no unnecessary info and removed all album artwork from each individual file and only placing the album art (titled 'Folder.jpg') in each album folder. I made sure that all album artwork was no more than 500x500 pixels. I double-checked that all folders were neat and only contained the music files and the Folder.jpg.

I think if you take the extra time to arrange your music correctly and use the proper microSD card than you can really enjoy this player with no hassles and headaches. Now I realize I've only had this unit for only a few days, but I am confident this device is going to serve me well. And I understand there are going to be some lemons out there, but I think all the scanning issues and missing files can be resolved with special attention and precaution.

I plan on installing about 34gb more next week. As I continue to use this unit I will report my progress. Just want to boost user's confidence in this player.

My only gripe is that the battery cover doesn't fit flush as I stated earlier in this thread. I have contacted iBasso and sent them a pic (same pic in my post), last night, requesting for a replacement battery cover. Hopefully I will hear from them after the weekend and will let everyone know what they say as I know others have had the same issue and maybe they can do the same.

Well that's it for now.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #7,401 of 18,652
When was the last time you guys listened through your entire collection in the time between getting up from the computer to sitting back down at the computer? I keep a steadfast bunch of favorite albums on my 64gb card, taking up maybe 20-30gb and then load the rest of the card with whatever I feel like that given day. If I want to load a new album to the DX50 but there's not enough space? I just delete whatever I haven't been listening to lately. 

Giving up the 64gb of onboard storage was initially my biggest concern coming from the DX100 to the DX50, but it turns out that 64gb is just fine for me.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #7,402 of 18,652
I've just bought a brand new 128GB USB 3.0 drive (Corsair Voyager Slider 128GB USB 3.0 Capless Sliding Flash Drive) and have spent a couple of hours copying my favourite albums over, only to discover that it doesn't work with the DX50. I've tested it with 3 OTG adapters. All adapters work fine with my 4GB USB drive. Also the 128GB drive works perfectly fine in my PC and two laptops I've tested it.

So probably not compatible..Just as a warning.. don't buy this model for the DX50:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E3RHS4C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7,403 of 18,652
sorry for off topic, but i am watching a 2 hour documentary about The Who now, what an amazing rock group this was !!!

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #7,404 of 18,652
  No transcoding down for me. It defeats the purpose of getting DX50.

Portability is one reason. Not being locked into Apple's ecosystem is another.

When was the last time you guys listened through your entire collection in the time between getting up from the computer to sitting back down at the computer?

It's less about how long I'm away and more about what I might want to listen to right now. I tend to keep things on an album shuffle but sometimes I find myself wanting something specific. It's nice having it there. Do I need it? No. Is it convenient? Yes. See previous about portability.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #7,405 of 18,652

It's less about how long I'm away and more about what I might want to listen to right now. I tend to keep things on an album shuffle but sometimes I find myself wanting something specific. It's nice having it there. Do I need it? No. Is it convenient? Yes. See previous about portability.

Yep. I don't understand why people don't understand this. I don't wake up and decide that I want to have these specific albums handy. Plus I wouldn't want to have to carry around extra loose storage devices, or swap songs on and off in the morning. I want to have all the music I like with me, so I can listen to whatever I want, or better yet, shuffle all my music until I find one that resonates. Most of the time this is how I listen to music. I rarely go for a specific song, I shuffle through until something works.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #7,406 of 18,652

Yep. I don't understand why people don't understand this. I don't wake up and decide that I want to have these specific albums handy. Plus I wouldn't want to have to carry around extra loose storage devices, or swap songs on and off in the morning. I want to have all the music I like with me, so I can listen to whatever I want, or better yet, shuffle all my music until I find one that resonates. Most of the time this is how I listen to music. I rarely go for a specific song, I shuffle through until something works.

I totally get it - I'm just fortunate enough to be able to load up the music when I decide that I want to listen to a certain album. Yes, I'd pay more for a DX50 with 64gb of onboard storage, but for me it turned out to be less of a problem than I had imagined at first. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #7,407 of 18,652
Love my DX50 + Marshall Monitor, cant wait when BH2 and FAW silver be in my hands...

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7,409 of 18,652
yes, nearly forgot. today i paired my DX50 with BH and T1.

both amps help boost DX50 sonics... but in the end i prefer T1 by some margin, it delivers cleaner sound, blacker velvet space and improves decay a good deal.

BH does a good job too but is not as clean sounding as T1. i used BH Out2 with HG on, LF and SF off, then HG off too... sounded good overall to my ear. Out1 was dirty and gave too much background noise.

DX50 benefits more from amping than my RWAK100 where improvements are less audible although still present.

RWAK amp out to me sounds more refined and cleaner compared to DX50 phone out.

DX50 line out is excellent and T1 makes my 1p2 sing superb.

NB: yes, i am Tralucent fan boy but please do not kill me for this 
eek.gif
 but i also have gut feeling that DX50 will love warm sounding amps better.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #7,410 of 18,652
Have a look at that thread, it might give you an idea. :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp/0_20

Thanks - this one looks possible : Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone . That gives me two bites of the cherry either use the DAC of the DX50 & LO or the coaxial of the DX50 and the DAC of the Leckerton.

Has anyone paired up a DX50 with the Leckerton ?

Is the the best Opamp, ieOPA627 worth paying an extra 50 bucks for?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back