The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #7,381 of 18,652

Originally Posted by Scott Blake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I expected line out was 100% output, end of story.  What did I miss?

The FAQ.

Hah, I was just about to post the same thing!

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx50-faq#user_amping 
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #7,382 of 18,652
We should make a separate thread for "Golden" DX50 owners!

After selling my X3, I bought my 3rd batch secondhand and I've not had a single issue with it to date. I've gone through two FW updates (now running 1.2.5) and I've never had a single freeze. I've also never experienced a real scanning issue. On 1.2.2 I'd always cancel the auto-scan on my 32gb card and just use directory mode and now I'm running 1.2.5 with a 64gb card and it scans in only a few minutes! Directory mode also works flawlessly with the 128gb flash card I keep for the USB OTG capability. 

I think this DAP is a very thoughtfully designed device that performs wonderfully. Period. Regardless of price point. I use it with my SR225is, modded KSC75s (hi-gain), TF10s, BA200s, and with my HD600s back when I still had them. Sometimes I pair it with my Arrow 4g (great pairing), but most of the time I'm just using it at school so the amp isn't necessary. 

Many thanks to iBasso!

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #7,384 of 18,652
^^^correct, just remember to lower the volume afterward, so when you connect to the HP out you don't get deafened.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #7,385 of 18,652
Can the people who are using more than one micro SD card comment on how that is performing for you?

Let's say you are using 2 64G cards.  Does it scan both of them and then have database reference internal so that it requires minimum startup time when you change?  Or does it perform a full scan each time you change the cards?

That post earlier today for a 40 buck 64G card at best buy and amazon is too good to pass up.  And I have bins full of CDs to rip yet.  I can easily fill two.

Thanks for any info.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #7,386 of 18,652
Interesting.  I gather, from my limited knowledge then that as metioned, you should run it at full volume from that line out.  Easy enough.  I gather this also bypasses the gain (which is for the headphone out only).

There are some good articles discussing the digitally control volume versus signal to noise ratio and the consensus is to turn the volume up (max it) and let your amp do the fine tuning, it seems that is the optimum setting to get the best SNR. The line out does not use the gain switch as you noticed.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #7,387 of 18,652
Can dx50 be used as source for fully balanced setup?

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7,388 of 18,652
Can dx50 be used as source for fully balanced setup?

You would have to feed the Coax output into a balanced DAC like the DB2, then from there into a balanced amp. The DX50 in itself does not have a balanced output.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7,389 of 18,652

Hi all I have poked around on headfi for a few years now.  Never joined.  

Anyways I noticed the case from IDO this morning in my facebook feed.  Thought it was really nice and found out how to order.  Came here to see if anyone has bought it yet.  Seems they haven't.  

Says to email him and ask for a paypal request.   
email phuong@ido.com.vn 

I emailed him awhile ago but I imagine it's the middle of the night in Vietnam.  

Here is their facebook page.  
https://www.facebook.com/Ido.com.vn   

I already ordered on yesterday.
All you have to do is email them your PayPal email address(don't know why?), name/surname, shipping address and colour of the case you want. Then you'll receive email with PayPal invoice from them. I had to pay $30 + $10 for shipping to UK.
I've been told that my case will be shipped with TNT.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,390 of 18,652
There are some good articles discussing the digitally control volume versus signal to noise ratio and the consensus is to turn the volume up (max it) and let your amp do the fine tuning, it seems that is the optimum setting to get the best SNR. The line out does not use the gain switch as you noticed.

Yes Sir :D
Right U'rrrrr

and phone out line is prone to noise even at Low gain, in fact i used it only at Low gain since High gain is too dirty for me.
another observation is DX50 sound works best and really neutral If you switch EQ on, put it to Custom and slide all sEQ levers to zero. surprisingly when you switch EQ Off the DX output is boosted automatically akin on AK and some detail are overimposed at the expense of dynamic subtleys :frowning2:

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #7,391 of 18,652
Is there in market balanced dac/amp combo?

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #7,393 of 18,652
64GB really is not enough especially for hi res files. I decided to get the full SD adapter so I can use a 128GB card (soon a 256GB
tongue_smile.gif
)

My entire CD library won't fit on 128G as FLAC. It won't fit on a Rockboxed iPod 6.5g (160GB). And a 256GB SDXC card costs twice as much as the player. That's SO not worth it.
And since most of my listening is on the subway, perfect fidelity isn't happening so transcoding down to 256kbps AAC is good enough for me. THAT fits on a 64GB card just fine.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,395 of 18,652
  My entire CD library won't fit on 128G as FLAC. It won't fit on a Rockboxed iPod 6.5g (160GB). And a 256GB SDXC card costs twice as much as the player. That's SO not worth it.
And since most of my listening is on the subway, perfect fidelity isn't happening so transcoding down to 256kbps AAC is good enough for me. THAT fits on a 64GB card just fine.

I don't need to take my entire library, I just listen to several albums. My files are just big. Mostly 24/96 and several 24/192. Half of the time I listen while on commute. No transcoding down for me. It defeats the purpose of getting DX50. No MP3s or AACs for me as well. CD quality (16-bit) is the minimum I could tolerate to actually enjoy listening to music. Otherwise, I would have been happy with just the iPod.

We'll I do listen to MP3s but limited only to audio books( foreign language learning) which doesn't require hi-fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back