The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #7,366 of 18,652
concerning pairing various IEMs this is what i found:

1p2+DX50 - excellent pairing, amazing detail, dynamic, well controlled and musical sound.

RDB+v1 +DX50 - very good pairing but slightly thinner and sometimes overly aggressive/edgy, still very good

H200+DX50 -  good overall but a bit more congested and feels less clean/purified, musicality good enough but will not wow more critical listeners.

NB: albums listened - Eyes Wide Shut OST, Geoffrey Oryema Night to Nigh, Robert Plant Pictures at Eleven.

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #7,367 of 18,652

1p2+DX50 - excellent pairing, amazing detail, dynamic, well controlled and musical sound.

RDB+v1 +DX50 - very good pairing but slightly thinner and sometimes overly aggressive/edgy, still very good

H200+DX50 -  good overall but a bit more congested and feels less clean/purified, musicality good enough but will not wow more critical listeners.

NB: albums listened - Eyes Wide Shut OST, Geoffrey Oryema Night to Nigh, Robert Plant Pictures at Eleven.

So many reports of greatness about the 1p2 with anything. It sounds to me those are the iems to beat.

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #7,368 of 18,652
Aren't the 1P2s supposed to be universals? :blink:

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #7,370 of 18,652
So many reports of greatness about the 1p2 with anything. It sounds to me those are the ciems to beat.

you welcome to ask owners of non-Tralucent IEMs too and i am sure there are many great sounding IEMs which will pair nicely. all it takes to post an opinion here.

as regards 1p2, would you suggest a 1.5k $ IEM should sound like a 400$ IEM just to please the owners of 400$ IEM? 
tongue.gif

yes, 1p2 is damn good sounding IEM and .... expensive one and excellent one.

coming back to pairing, i believe DX50 is a bit aggressive sounding DAP, its amp section is powerful but phone out section has a bit more noise and this cuts off some dynamic and flattens a bit stage effect. now amping brings back some black space and subtle refinements which boost musicality and deepen stage. Line Out to amp is the best way to go.... DX50 not amped is good DAP but will not unseat RWAK.... but throw in good amp and you are getting damn close to RWAK.

so what does this mean? there will be some earphones liking DX50 more but a bit noisy amp section earphone out would make other IEM sound not as good as intended.

for me DX50 is again some disappointment because i hoped DX50 would not need external amping.... BUT... after trying i must confess, DX50 would benefit from amping even more than my RWAK... this does not mean DX50 is not nice DAP and for the money it rocks much stronger than any DAP i heard... but when you add good amp you still can reckon how much better your music can sound.

NB: this is personal and highly subjective opinion and i do not ask anyone to share it 
wink_face.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #7,371 of 18,652

+1 I agree with this observation but never realized H-200 is a bit conjested until I hear DX50 from JH16. H-200 however excels extracting details from DX50 but feels a bit raw compared to JH16. Overall I still pop in my H200 if I felt getting tired with JH16

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #7,372 of 18,652
Ahh it's ok I was just confused for a second :)

On a separate topic, anxiously waiting for my mini-to-mini to arrive so I can use my Apex Glacier with the DX50 :mad:

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #7,373 of 18,652
+1 I agree with this observation but never realized H-200 is a bit conjested until I hear DX50 from JH16. H-200 however excels extracting details from DX50 but feels a bit raw compared to JH16. Overall I still pop in my H200 if I felt getting tired with JH16

details on H200 sound a bit artificial to my ear, overall more stress and edginess... sadly.

same H200 melts into great musicality with C3+BH combo but when it comes to RWAK or DX50 i would look somewhere else for best synergy.

i still dream to hear JH16, must be superb IEM... sadly i am strongly against custom IEM and do not fancy taking imprints and abusing my lovely ears. :frowning2:

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #7,374 of 18,652
Ahh it's ok I was just confused for a second
smily_headphones1.gif

On a separate topic, anxiously waiting for my mini-to-mini to arrive so I can use my Apex Glacier with the DX50
mad.gif

yes, amping with a good amp and using higher end IEMs will put DX50 on a whole new level. i was astonished myself but DX phone out is noisy... line out is excellent however but will not work for IEMs.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #7,375 of 18,652
yes, amping with a good amp and using higher end IEMs will put DX50 on a whole new level. i was astonished myself but DX phone out is noisy... line out is excellent however but will not work for IEMs.

My current budget should be USD535 since I'm contemplating selling my HP50 to my father (the other option along with buying a new set of pads to alleviate the comfort issues) but I'm having difficulty choosing whether to get one good set of cans or IEMs or two lesser sets.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #7,376 of 18,652
Finally got around to making a better IC for my stack:

More info here, I don't want to derail this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp/480#post_10002669 
redface.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #7,378 of 18,652
1plus2 hisses on DX50 so I got a headstage arrow 4g to remove the hiss
smily_headphones1.gif

all IEMs i tried on DX50 have audible (small) hiss or better say noise because hiss is not what i would call it .... annoying is because it also affects sound stage as i could hear.

DX50 phone out is not clean.... line out is... hence amping brings better result.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #7,379 of 18,652
Speaking of line out, can someone help my understanding here.  I thought line out meant a fixed maximum output.  If I hook up something to the line out though, the volume control impacts it louder or softer.  I expected line out was 100% output, end of story.  What did I miss?

Was able to sort out my issue of the battery charging while connected to the computer...by powering on the dx50.  That way it went to usb mode rather than stuck in a noisy attach/detach cycle.  Was also able to get some music on.  Will need to figure out how to make things much more organized by file renaming of some description but at least I know it works - and works well in the vehicle.  I love having physical buttons to just touch and get to the next track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back