The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #13,666 of 18,652
Does gapless work properly with the new FW?

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #13,667 of 18,652
  Had the classic freeze at end of media scan, did a restart and all was fine.  Don't notice much if any sound difference (using a C5 amp from LO).  They've pretty'd up the splash screen and the directory screen (clearer font and nicer folder pictures, I think).  I like the no reminder shutdown screen.  The digital filters don't seem to be doing much (at least using iems, I don't hear much difference).  I'm not sure if they changed the sound signature at all.  Still sounds really good to my ears.  But I don't use it for DAC, so ehh.  Was really hoping for much functional changes.  I don't like Rockbox, so I guess it'll be same old/same old.  
dt880smile.png

Aren't the digital filters for DAC mode only? Yeah, the cosmetic changes makes my DX50 feel new again 
beyersmile.png
. The shade of orange for the font is also much nicer. I just experienced some stuttering of the sound in the middle of a song I'm listening to now though.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #13,669 of 18,652
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #13,670 of 18,652
The screen is very responsive, super fast. Bass quality IMO, is well defined and creates a great foundation to the music, as it should. Also the separation seems to have improved. I like the treble also, very natural with the new fw. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #13,675 of 18,652
So I installed the x86 dac driver on my Win 7 laptop. It says it failed and when I look in device manager the RK1234 device shows up (not actually 1234, i forget the numbers). I dont have Admin authority, so I cant manually update the driver. If I could manually update the driver, do you think it would work? I dont want to ask my network admin to install it unless im reasonably sure it would work...

Also, anyone have thoughts to why it failed? It goes through the installer just fine, but after I hit finish a box comes up that says "The program might not have installed correctly. If the program didnt install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of windows."

Is it probably because I need admin authority to update drivers?

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #13,676 of 18,652
After listening to 15-20 different artists/tracks, I do think the new fw has improved bass frequencies over 1.2.8 (I'm using a C5 amp from LO, no EQ).  I'm getting more thump, more rumble and more overall lows on pretty much everything I play (in a good way).  The mids and highs are harder to quantify, but there is probably some improvement there as well.  With my amp, soundstage width has never been an issue and still sounds, well, wide.  Just my take on this, of course, and it could be that I am imagining things.  I tried Beatles, Traffic, Dylan, Mamas and Papas, Quicksilver, Buffalo Springfield, George Michael, Tears for Fears, Steely Dan (live and studio), a new Glenn Fry singing old standards (which had seemed a bit thin), Stones, Joni Mitchell and a bunch of other stuff, and all seemed to have more in the deep end than with 1.2.8.  Some was quite a bit more bassy-y than before, especially the older stuff which never did have much low end.  

I'm curious what the rest of you think.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #13,678 of 18,652
Gave the 1.5 a quick listen...To me, its the best sounding to date. Separation and imaging seem better. Lows are about the same as 1.2.8 to me, but mids and highs seem a little better/brighter. Anyways, Im loving it so far.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #13,679 of 18,652
I can't get the usb dac drivers to work for the life of me.  However I at least got them to eventually install, so in device manager I see the iBasso mango device and under sound controllers I see the iBasso Mango HiFi Audio Device.  However with all of the windows driver checks disabled Windows wants to keep the driver in a disabled state.  This being the driver status:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

Seems no degree of 8.1's driver security will let this pass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back