The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #10,246 of 18,652
^ Thank you!
I found some US buying options at eBay by searching "[COLOR=333333]USB Type A Female to Micro USB Male Host OTG Micro USB Female Y":[/COLOR]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400616381708?lpid=82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300935347684?lpid=82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R6H1-USB-Type-A-Female-to-Micro-USB-Male-Host-OTG-with-Micro-USB-Female-Y-Cable-/111216073057?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19e4fe9961

It would be even better, if the host OTG plug is angled (I searched but could not find any). 

All of those look to be suitable to me.

The only thing I've noticed after a test last night is that i suffered some level of 'buffering' as the HD seemed to struggle to keep up with the DAP.

I was using a Kindle charger last night so assumed (probably incorrectly) that it was relatively low powered. I'm hoping that when i retest today with a samsung charger i'll have a better experience.

Its a power issue, or a scanning issue.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #10,247 of 18,652
What happened to your DXC-50 :)

DXC-550 is no more:frowning2:

I had the Neco Soundlabs Portable V4 amp coming so I had to sell something to replenish my lost in audio money. The V4 seemed to have better specs, and I felt like an ungrade at the time, so here I am with a new set up for 2014. :D

On top of that, I had traded my M100 recently (kicks arse with the C5, and that's the reason I had the C5 in the first place) for a pair of Mad Dogs; so hence the C5 wasn't all that necessary to me anymore due to the loss in synergy. With this new amp, it takes my headphones to a higher level - plentiful power, more refinement, accuracy and a change from the usual. All that's left is a DAP upgrade and 2014 is all done for me for audio, so my main focus will be my studies.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #10,249 of 18,652
...soon we will get DSD support...

ibasso schrieb:

HI,

The DSD will be supported with the upcoming firmware.

We will release it in a couple weeks.

Sincerely

iBasso Audio
[tr] [/tr]

Thats great, how much DSD content is available out there?

On the subject of amps for the DX50, if I could get by without one I would, but for various reasons I prefer it. I am using the PB2 in non balanced mode. I can't use iems and never liked them any way. I can't wear phones at work so I use a Dap connected to a DIY PMS. I like to use the PB2 as a pre-amp in this set-up. The amp in the DX50 sounds very similar to the PB1 in my opinion, which I own and like but has trouble driving a couple of my full size cans. So I've only listened to the Dx50 un-amped, with the PB1 and 2, and my venerable Headroom Portable micro amp/Dac. I'm sticking with the PB2.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #10,250 of 18,652
Oh dear. I have an issue with my DX50. It is partly my own stupid fault but I am still not delighted.

It seems that my DX50 has no safety shutoff circuit for battery depletion. I installed a new genuine Galaxy S3 battery a couple of weeks ago and was able to get it up to a full charge using a 1.3 amp Nokia charger. Then on the road this week, I had simply fantastic battery life from my new battery.

I was happy.

I decided to run the battery down which can be useful to do once on a new battery. However as noted on the Internet (so it must be true..)

Avoid completely discharging lithium-ion batteries If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analyzers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery.

I assumed that like most personal electronics, there would also be a failsafe cutoff in the DX50. Well, if there is, mine is broken. After fully running the DX50 down to shut off, I charged it all last night with the 1.3 amp charger. It never reached solid green fully charged. Now I have unplugged it and it shows 'zero bars' on the DX50 battery meter. It is actually playing music - a few songs so far - but I am afraid that I have fried my brand new battery.

So I guess I have to buy a new battery and then be my own battery manager. The DX50 will not do it for me and will destroy that battery too if I listen too long. I can be careful to stop listening when the meter hits zero bars (at the latest) but that is not great.

Anyone else have the same experience or am I the only person stupid enough to run the DX50 battery right down?

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #10,251 of 18,652
Thats great, how much DSD content is available out there?

On the subject of amps for the DX50, if I could get by without one I would, but for various reasons I prefer it. I am using the PB2 in non balanced mode. I can't use iems and never liked them any way. I can't wear phones at work so I use a Dap connected to a DIY PMS. I like to use the PB2 as a pre-amp in this set-up. The amp in the DX50 sounds very similar to the PB1 in my opinion, which I own and like but has trouble driving a couple of my full size cans. So I've only listened to the Dx50 un-amped, with the PB1 and 2, and my venerable Headroom Portable micro amp/Dac. I'm sticking with the PB2.

Cheers,
Shawn

You really should look into using the balanced output of the PB2, I find it to sound quite a lot better than the single ended one.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #10,252 of 18,652
Update: I did a Factory Reset and that did nothing (except obviously burn some juice). Still zero bars. Now, part way the first song following the Factory Reset, song #3 after charging all night, the DX50 has died again.

I guess that I should be grateful that I can swap out the battery. Can you imagine if this happened to someone with an AK or Fiio? But I am guessing that those have a protective cutoff circuit. 

Maybe my DX50 is defective. It is too bad if it is because it otherwise has been absolutely bullet proof and problem free.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #10,254 of 18,652
Update: I did a Factory Reset and that did nothing (except obviously burn some juice). Still zero bars. Now, part way the first song following the Factory Reset, song #3 after charging all night, the DX50 has died again.

I guess that I should be grateful that I can swap out the battery. Can you imagine if this happened to someone with an AK or Fiio? But I am guessing that those have a protective cutoff circuit. 

Maybe my DX50 is defective. It is too bad if it is because it otherwise has been absolutely bullet proof and problem free.

I' m not so sure if there's any fail safe cut off but I had experienced my DX50 shutting down by itself after leaving it on the burn overnight. Charge it and it came back to life using a old Blackberry wall charger with a 1.0A output. The thing I'm concern is that it gets rather warm while it was charging and only took about 2 hours plus to get a full charge. Maybe you could switch back to the stock battery to see if it's a battery issue. All the best.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #10,255 of 18,652
  I've completely run my DX50 flat with no issues at all. 

I' m not so sure if there's any fail safe cut off but I had experienced my DX50 shutting down by itself after leaving it on the burn overnight. Charge it and it came back to life using a old Blackberry wall charger with a 1.0A output. The thing I'm concern is that it gets rather warm while it was charging and only took about 2 hours plus to get a full charge. Maybe you could switch back to the stock battery to see if it's a battery issue. All the best.

Thanks, guys. it sounds like it is an issue with my DX50 rather than a common design issue. (The latter would be hard to believe.)

Leo888, the original battery didn't die so dramatically but it lost life precipitously over its short life - from 10+ hours to about 4. I thought it was the cheap battery but now I think that it was my DX50 also.

So the choices are: (i)  send the DX50 back for a replacement - I can't be bothered especially since it is otherwise perfect - I might get a refurb back, ughh - and the problem can be fairly easily avoided with a new battery, (ii) get a new battery, and/or (iii) order a Fiio X5 which is temptingly available here. Of course, if I do both (ii) and (iii), I can make some interesting comparisons...

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #10,256 of 18,652
And of course the DX90 
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #10,257 of 18,652
All of those look to be suitable to me.

The only thing I've noticed after a test last night is that i suffered some level of 'buffering' as the HD seemed to struggle to keep up with the DAP.

I was using a Kindle charger last night so assumed (probably incorrectly) that it was relatively low powered. I'm hoping that when i retest today with a samsung charger i'll have a better experience.

Its a power issue, or a scanning issue.

I REALLY didn't expect it was the Kindle charger I was using that was causing the 'buffetting' I was experiencing last night. But it appears that is exactly what the issue was.

This morning, on my desk at work, I am using a Samsung phone charger, running the HD and the DX at the same time and I have seamless music running from my 1TB HD into my DX.

One thing to note, listening to music this way doesn't allow you to play 'By Artist' as it does from the internal memory..... when you hit the icon next to the Artist name from the OTG menu it simply selects all of that artists music (much like hitting the artist name does from the SD menu)... so listening has to be album at a time if you've got them organised in folders, or you can randomly play ALL music as normal.

LOVING this OTG. 

Next up, I'm going to try and power the HD and the DX from a USB on my LAPTOP (while the laptop is docked, and therefore powered from the mains)...

..... And it works from my laptop too.  

Woo.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #10,258 of 18,652
+1 to the DX90. Would have hold off the DX50 if I found out about it earlier.

copperpwc , maybe you could try to charge the stock battery if it is still with you so as to determine if the problem lies with the new one. It may have only 4+ hours of battery life but will tell you something if it can be charged. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back