The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #6,931 of 18,652
Wow, upgrading from V1.1.6 to V1.2.5 is big. This is what I am noticing:

1) Much bigger thicker warmer more aggressive sound compared to V1.1.6. V1.1.6 is thinner and more laid back in comparison.
2) V1.2.5 is more 3D in comparison. V1.1.6 was 2D in comparison but was very detailed and textured. Now the texture has come to life and there is a lot more going on.
3) Everything just sounds so much more forward and life sized with V1.2.5.
4) Volume is much louder with V1.2.5. I am listening at 165 on the third gain setting now compared to 185 with V1.1.6. It also is more powerful at lower listening levels allowing me to turn down the volume further without the sound falling apart. It feels like they upgraded the amp without any downside that I can hear.

I don't think I am going to miss V1.1.6. Long live V1.2.5!

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #6,932 of 18,652

Thanks for the information - so this means that the whole tagging system is a mess, and there are no proper standards. (By the way, pointing this out is not "wasting time". You should instead, be appalled by that situation and asking programmers, at ibasso and elsewhere, to do their job properly.)

It is impossible for any provider "to do their job properly" when there are few standards.  What's proper?  There is not even agreement on what "artist" means. 

One needs to tag in whatever way makes sense to the user.

"Appalled?"  In no way.  I only wish the world was otherwise so perfect to find such a minor issue upsetting. 

Time to get back to specific DX50 topics.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6,933 of 18,652
Are there any advance DX50 users out there who have figured out a way to keep and save playlists?
I updated the firmware and did the factory reset but lost my playlist:confused_face_2: .

It's tricky. The playlists are saved in the database cache in the internal memory. Someone mentioned to copy the cache locally on your computer and then after the update, copy it back. See if this could work for you.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #6,934 of 18,652
I installed the file from the "edit" link without issue updating from v1.1.6 to v1.2.5. However, when I check System Info it says Firmware version: V1.2.2. Is anyone else seeing this? Am I actually running v1.2.5 or is this v1.2.2 disguised as v1.2.5? 

Yes I did the "Factory reset" following the update, and no, I have never loaded v1.2.2 on my DX50 before.

You might have inadvertently copied an older image (1.2.2). The file name is exactly the same. That can only be the plausible reason. Download it again and extract it to the dap directly on it's internal memory.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #6,935 of 18,652

I installed the file from the "edit" link without issue updating from v1.1.6 to v1.2.5. However, when I check System Info it says Firmware version: V1.2.2. Is anyone else seeing this? Am I actually running v1.2.5 or is this v1.2.2 disguised as v1.2.5? 

Yes I did the "Factory reset" following the update, and no, I have never loaded v1.2.2 on my DX50 before.

You might have inadvertently copied an older image (1.2.2). The file name is exactly the same. That can only be the plausible reason. Download it again and extract it to the dap directly on it's internal memory.

I don't even have the V1.2.2 file to make the mistake, that is why it is so weird. 

I actually tried the iBasso direct version instead and it worked. Well, kind of. It said that the update failed, but it works fine and sounds great. It now shows v1.2.5 in the System info.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #6,937 of 18,652
  NOT impressed at all with the sound quality of 1.2.5. - Immediately reinstalled v1.2.3 beta
It feels like an they have made an overly 'safe' sound. This has quite a unique quality which may or not be attractive to certain ears. If you like v1.2.5 then great. Stick with it :)
Anyway I found...
Most of the 'punch' is no longer present so it now sounds silky smooth and very warm...across the range. No prescence at all
It feels almost reference like in its delivary which might be ok if I had some critical listening to some studio work but not for music
This was most noticable on Max Richter's - Recomposed (Vivaldi's Four seasons) track 2 Spring 1 - there was no excitement or life
with the opening strings and when the bass of the [cello's?] rolls in there was no depth or warmth. 
On v1.2.3beta I find the instruments all have their own place in the stereo field and can be heard quite clearly and disctincly, for example the cymbals sit nicely above the bass of the drums.
Of course there being a myriad of headphone/amp combinations this may not be helpful at all ! :D
I was listening on Grado GR10 IEM
I wouldn't normally comment but I felt there is quite a big difference between the two versions. Its good in one way because people have
quite a good opportunity to install two different [working] versions with different qualities of audio to suite their own audio leanings.
Just some thoughts
:) 
PS Thinking about it, it may be the v1.2.5 is better in that it is more true to the actual audio. With the earlier versions though I can't help but think there is something a little bit clever going on that 'improves' the audio at some stage...like how some of the cheaper headphones 'colour' the sound to make it appear 'better' to the average listener. Im not saying iBasso are doing this :) but sometimes for example, when you stop the audio mid song it sounds very similar to when I stop reviewing some audio on my DAW that has reverb or some such enhancement being processed. To put it another way It sounds a little bit like when you stop singing in the shower there is something that sounds different when I stop singing in the studio (rigged for dead sound) - Maybe like some reverb that quickly tails off
Annnyyywaayyy, All im saying is v1.2.3 sounds a little more excitable / rich / deeper/ seperated than v1.2.5. If my ears like a version then that's what I will listen too however we arrive there !!

Wouldn't it be better for a source to actually be pumping out the sound as true to the actual audio than come outright colored/modified? The phone you use can also add character to the actual sound so if the source is already colored then it will also affect the phone you use (positive or negative). Not to mention you can add an amp/DAC in between and could further impact the character of the sound.

Having said that it would be best if Ibasso make this as an option, perhaps and preset EQ.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #6,938 of 18,652

the 1st leather cover for the dx50
Not mine, I even dont have the DX50, but can't help to post it.

It's not the final production version yet and their website is here: http://ido.com.vn/
Disclaimer: I don't have any relationship with this company. Just saw it on FB

Is it just me or is the leather blue? o_O

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #6,939 of 18,652
does the mid and highs of 1.25 become recessed like the one in 1.23beta.? thats the main reason why i refused to try new firmware since the 1.22 is so balanced and neutral in all aspect.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #6,940 of 18,652
does the mid and highs of 1.25 become recessed like the one in 1.23beta.? thats the main reason why i refused to try new firmware since the 1.22 is so balanced and neutral in all aspect.

No, you might actual hear a slight extension in the highs. Bass is not as overpowering as 1.23B and a bit tighter than 1.22. Some says 1.25 is somewhere in between 1.22 and 1.23b. I say it's better than both because now I can crank up the volume to 240 and from the LO and the balance across the frequency range is better and details are crisper. On 1.2.2/3b I can't set the volume pass 230 without breaking the balance and the lows starts to overpower both mids and highs .

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #6,941 of 18,652
No, you might actual hear a slight extension in the highs. Bass is not as overpowering as 1.23B and a bit tighter than 1.22. Some says 1.25 is somewhere in between 1.22 and 1.23b. I say it's better than both because now I can crank up the volume to 240 and from the LO and the balance across the frequency range is better and details are crisper. On 1.2.2/3b I can't set the volume pass 230 without breaking the balance and the lows starts to overpower both mids and highs .

oh if the bass is not that agrresive than i can give it a try

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #6,945 of 18,652
two questions:

1) is there a program for Mac to separate songs into single files from cue list? i tried XLD but somehow this does not work well with cue flac separation.
2) does updating from FW1.2.2 to 1.2.5 makes sense? somehow my DX50 (8th batch) came with 1.2.2 FW.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back