The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #6,048 of 18,652
  Normally have it at that when I'm at home and it's quiet, but when out maybe a little louder 115-125 low gain using the H-200. But I notice some people have the volume at about 150+, maybe mines defective?

I just tried a volume test with my HD580 I cant even hear anything until about 120 and I cant tell its music and not some demon/ghost messing with me until about 130-135. I normally listen in the 180s with my JH5.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #6,049 of 18,652
Not to change the subject, but this is just an observation after a few weeks with the DX50...

Like others have mentioned before, I find it odd that the DX50's sound changes with firmware updates.  I actually found its wide soundstage to sound rather artificial with the original 1.0 firmware.  This has improved, either through burn in, firmware updates, or maybe it's just me growing accustomed to the sound.  Based on those observations, however, I feel like the pleasing sound we hear from the DX50 may have more to do with DSP trickery and behind-the-scenes EQ settings in the firmware than it has to do with the actual hardware. 

Anyone who has spent enough time playing with audio editing software like Adobe Audition knows you can play with DSP to artifically create any size soundstage you like. 

However, if that's the case, then one has to wonder if it really matters what kind of DAC, opamp, and other hardware is used in these "reference" DAPs?  

I do realize, as was posted earlier in the thread, that the wm8740 DAC has a digital de-emphasis feature and some kind of roll-off function. I'm just skeptical that those functions alone could account for the changes in sound we've experienced. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #6,050 of 18,652
Originally Posted by jj69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone who has spent enough time playing with audio editing software like Adobe Audition knows you can play with DSP to artifically create any size soundstage you like. 

However, if that's the case, then one has to wonder if it really matters what kind of DAC, opamp, and other hardware is used in these "reference" DAPs? 

I completely agree. Really, with anything in this modern age, you could get a 'simulated' version for much less. Using a cheap MP3 player with digital sound adjustments rather than an actual quality source with quality files, or using a phone's camera, rather than a digital SLR. The result can still be perceived as very good either way. It's a shame really. I love the feeling of owning a bit perfect DAP, or a high-end camera, and many other similar devices.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #6,051 of 18,652
Yes, I install the 123 firmware!  The result is OUTSTANDING!! 
I like everything about this new firmware, sound, control of whole unit itself, it's just 
pleasure to work with this DAP.  It is my first dap, and I can leave Ipod!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6,055 of 18,652

I completely agree. Really, with anything in this modern age, you could get a 'simulated' version for much less. Using a cheap MP3 player with digital sound adjustments rather than an actual quality source with quality files, or using a phone's camera, rather than a digital SLR. The result can still be perceived as very good either way. It's a shame really. I love the feeling of owning a bit perfect DAP, or a high-end camera, and many other similar devices.

That is only partially true.  DSP can add distortion and sometimes clipping.   Similarly, digital zoom in cameras will often introduce pixilation in contrast to an optical zoom.   This is typically why a hardware amplifier is better than digital gain.  Some digital processing is obviously better than others, but to preserve the cleanest audio possible you want to avoid digital processing as much as possible.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #6,057 of 18,652
Quote:
  That is only partially true.  DSP can add distortion and sometimes clipping.   Similarly, digital zoom in cameras will often introduce pixilation in contrast to an optical zoom.   This is typically why a hardware amplifier is better than digital gain.  Some digital processing is obviously better than others, but to preserve the cleanest audio possible you want to avoid digital processing as much as possible.

Yeah, that's more or less what I meant by perceived. Because, once you start pixel peeping with cameras, or comparing audio files and sources, you can notice the differences. I, for one, hate buying the pretend quality devices. Much rather get a DX50, AK100, etc. over a cell phone, even if it's externally DACed and amped. Just feels better knowing I didn't go the cheap route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back