The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #4,486 of 18,652
@Pottsy2, try to update the firmware again.

Good idea (I have never actually loaded it - my one came with 1.2.0), but sadly the screen has beaten me to it.

Firstly it started persisting, then it faded away from the bottom.

Now it is just a single green dot.

Ibasso have just emailed back saying that they will happily replace it. :)

Caught it dying on video:

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #4,487 of 18,652
It says the video is private when I try and view. An exclusive club, huh? 

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4,488 of 18,652
It says the video is private when I try and view. An exclusive club, huh? 

The broken DX50 club. :D

Good idea (I have never actually loaded it - my one came with 1.2.0), but sadly the screen has beaten me to it.

Firstly it started persisting, then it faded away from the bottom.

Now it is just a single green dot.

Ibasso have just emailed back saying that they will happily replace it. :)

Caught it dying on video:

Send it back, you'll get a brand new without this problem, I understand it's a pain in the neck but in this case worth the trouble.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4,490 of 18,652
Interesting. Well at least you will have a new one soon. Hopefully you won't have to video it except to show it working in all its glory. :^)

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #4,491 of 18,652
  Don't think so. I found it to be marginally better than the e6. 

Really???? I found that hard to believe. I would even expect the built in amplifier to surpass the D-Zero amplifier. anyone can add comment to this?  I'm awaiting my DX50 (and W4R now
biggrin.gif
) and I'm hoping for better. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,492 of 18,652

Really???? I found that hard to believe. I would even expect the built in amplifier to surpass the D-Zero amplifier. anyone can add comment to this?  I'm awaiting my DX50 (and W4R now
biggrin.gif
) and I'm hoping for better. 

Yes, really. I tested the E6 through the LO of the DX50. But hey, the E6 is a fine little amp! People generally like to pair the DX50 with an amp. Most ~$100 portable amps seem to do quite a bit better than the built in amp.

Do you really think their cheapest dap would outperform their standalone dac/amp? I don't think so, but I will have a loaner on the D-zero within weeks to test it :)

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4,493 of 18,652
I've now tried the Electric Avenues PA2V2 and found it's a step down in sound compared to the DX50's internal amp. Okay, the PA2V2 might be targeted towards larger sized headphones and less CIEMs. I found it sounding with less defined highs and muddy mids. Any amp recommendations to improve the DX50 sound?
I've read about the Tralucent T1 to be a pretty perfect match, improving the sound quite a lot.

I already find the DX50 sound very good and I'm discovering new details in well known albums, but there's always room for improvement, isn't it? :wink:

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #4,494 of 18,652
pOO, best way is enjoy your dx50 now and take your time to decide if you really want amp or not. from what i hear dx50 output stage is pretty good on its own.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,495 of 18,652
The DX50 doesn't have the greatest depth and separation at this point (could change with next FW update 1.2.2) but what I do like is the overall musical presentation. To me it is very cohesive and fluid. I have to admit that amping is also a lot of fun and can really open things up but I like both. Live music, at least much of what I have heard and that is many different types of music and venues, often never has the detail that you get with a good speaker system or headphone system but to compensate for the lack of everything else in real live music, we get hyper details and separation to make up for this. IMO. 

That the DX50 does so very well with an amp goes to show how well the dac section is implemented. I have the AK100 that bypasses the 22 ohm resistors on the output, which for me made the sound of the AK100 a no go but removal easily brought it up a notch or two, and enjoy the sound and while different, I do not find the DX50 any less a dap to the modified AK100 and this at about 1/3 the cost. Build quality as I have mentioned is great on both. I have torn down both units and internally the AK100 has nothing over the DX50. 

We are getting so many good daps now. A dry spell for quite some time, IMO, with the last good dap being the iRiver h120/140 and rockboxed but that has all changed. I see that the 120 and 140 that could go for 250 and more is now around 100 to 150 dollars. Good stuff coming down the pike. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4,496 of 18,652
Really???? I found that hard to believe. I would even expect the built in amplifier to surpass the D-Zero amplifier. anyone can add comment to this?  I'm awaiting my DX50 (and W4R now :D ) and I'm hoping for better. 

I asked ibasso if dzero will make any improvement in the sq of dx50.. And they replied...
"Hi,
I prefer the DX50's internal AMP to the D-Zero's.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,498 of 18,652
  I've now tried the Electric Avenues PA2V2 and found it's a step down in sound compared to the DX50's internal amp. Okay, the PA2V2 might be targeted towards larger sized headphones and less CIEMs. I found it sounding with less defined highs and muddy mids. Any amp recommendations to improve the DX50 sound?
I've read about the Tralucent T1 to be a pretty perfect match, improving the sound quite a lot.

I already find the DX50 sound very good and I'm discovering new details in well known albums, but there's always room for improvement, isn't it? :wink:

People really like the C&C BH amp! I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could get it somewhere in europe. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #4,499 of 18,652
Just got my DX-50 and have so far so good. I was wondering about the USB OTG. Will this work with an OTG cable and regular (Sandisk) USB flash drive? I see some OTG flash drives out there, but the cable and a 32 GB or 64 GB Sandisk (or similar) is probably less expensive. Thanks.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back