The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #2,011 of 18,652
Forgot to say - yes, to confirm it is silent with music on / off / paused

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,012 of 18,652

Sorry, but how did the DX50 not work?  As I mentioned, it played/scanned almost all of my music just fine and the only files it had trouble with were some with funky characters in filename/tag (and appeared to do so for everyone else I can see except a few that had funky tags/other issues).   Sure it had some features missing in terms of sorting and playback that are being added right now.  The whole update thing using the coaxial/lock to navigate is overblown as you can just reboot the player and try updating again and it'd automatically go through the update itself (I tried this myself).   I'm not sure what your idea of a beta OS is as I'm quite experienced with that developing OS environments in my programming days but the release firmware is a far stretch to be called as such.  You are right, you pay for a product expecting it to work but I don't see where they weren't honest and stated everything was flawless and 100% in their UI.  They delivered what they promised IMO, but I guess everyone has different standards.

hi sensui123

- 4 albums appearing after a scan
- not being able to forward to the next song
- songs in albums not playing
- 192 files files playing at 20x slow speed
- OTK Usb not showing up
- album art occasionally working
- unit freezing
+ a myriad of others that I can't remember

Your unit must have worked better than mine because as I say it barely worked to be able see, never mind play files. I just expected to put music on the player > start the player > play the music. When I bought my first ipod / cowon I didn't have any problems - I put the files on the player and played them! Maybe we should just agree to disagree :D but I just expect products to work as per the function I buy them for.Firmware V1.1.6 is better but the unit is still no where near a reliable enough device. No biggy really, Im sure they will get it sorted in time.
I would just rather not be a tester for them! - I would rather the time is taken to make sure the unit is working at the factory floor level before being released to the public. Im happy for you that your new unit worked so well from the outset :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,013 of 18,652
that is a huge difference for sure in our experiences...assuming both units are functional....it comes down to the types of files we're playing. I've been using only clean tagged 16 bit 44.1khz flac files. I have some 24/96 material I can try. I hope you get things sorted out eventually.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2,014 of 18,652
Well.. that day has finally arrived.. and all I can think to say is WOW...

Remembering that all of this is new to me and I don't have anything previous to compare with... the combination of the DX-50 and the PSB M4U2 headphones (playing all FLAC files I have stored on my PC till now) is outstanding.. Many thanks to the folks on this forum that have continually answered questions and given guidance to all of the people on the forum..

I know that for many of you, another DAP (or another set of headphones) isn't a big deal.. but if you remember that it is all about the music at the end of the day,, then this forum might become the great place we all write and read here for information.. and for that I am eternally grateful and smiling as I listen to Bad English rocking it out

Hoping to have more to say in the coming days

Respectfully and happily

Don J

PS My order was filled and shipped in record time for me in AZ and for that I thank the folks at IBasso

And YES.. I did immediately upgrade it to 1.1.6 firmware.. so no music to reload..lol

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,015 of 18,652
that is a huge difference for sure in our experiences...assuming both units are functional....it comes down to the types of files we're playing. I've been using only clean tagged 16 bit 44.1khz flac files. I have some 24/96 material I can try. I hope you get things sorted out eventually.

I think you've put your finger on it here Sensui. I have noticed the higher the bitrate gets the more unstable in general / problems I experience with the player. Later on I  attached another card via the usb which has only 44/16 flacs on it. I don't think I have had any issues with these files! although 1.1.6 did sort a lot out
Ive realised as well the learning the DX50 is a bit like driving a high performance sports car - it needs to be driven in a certain way. For example you simply cant wizz up and down a 24/192 track at the same speed as you can with an mp3 :)
I love the sound, that's the main thing

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,017 of 18,652
It's in the house! 48 hours from China to Illinois, not bad. Didn't take the screen protector off yet. Didn't update the firmware yet (downloading it now). Just slapped a 64GB card in, scanned for music and I am now listening to some Joe Walsh on my Denon D2000s. And a couple of shots with the Headstage Arrow for Sorensiim as promised.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,019 of 18,652

how fast is it transferring for you? I'm experiencing 7~10MB/s of transfer from my computer to the built-in memory of the DX50

Also, i'm using this 3rd party application on windows called, "TeraCopy".

At least its only 8GB....I've stopped copying more than a few albums to it now... just using the SD card until we get a stable build.
USB speeds are no faster or slower than any other device for me

I am running on Mac so am performing the normal drag and drop. Filling up the 8GB (which is effectively only 6GB) took about 10mins. It is always much much faster to fill up an iDevice than other USB storage devices.

Luckily I could fill up my 64GB Micro SD card using the SD card reader inbuilt on the Mac. That beefs up the speed of transfer for SD card tremendously =)

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,021 of 18,652
So.. I have just loaded several albums of music to the internal storage and it then says scanning the files but it is not picking up all the albums I loaded , only after looking them up with directory view and then playing a song from the album is the album then listed in album view..  So, did I do something wrong when copying the albums over .. Any help with this would be appreciated since my limited experience doesn't tell me what to do or not to do ??

Thanks
Don J

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,022 of 18,652
It's in the house! 48 hours from China to Illinois, not bad. Didn't take the screen protector off yet. Didn't update the firmware yet (downloading it now). Just slapped a 64GB card in, scanned for music and I am now listening to some Joe Walsh on my Denon D2000s. And a couple of shots with the Headstage Arrow for Sorensiim as promised.

[

Did you have to pay any extra import fees? Looks nice by the way, I can't wait to get mine and compare it to my X3! Either way I will keep both.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,023 of 18,652

Now pause the music and listen to it (I know, weird) can you detect any hiss? usually human ears are unable to detect hiss when playing music, so you need to pause it to hear any hiss that it has.

I don't know if this is backed by evidence but I can definitely detect hiss on any set up while music is playing. Hiss from the recording and hiss from the hardware also sounds different. But then again, the only time I'm bothered by hardware hiss is when I'm listening to well-recorded songs which should technically be buttery smooth with a complete blackground. If there's any kind of hiss detected, it makes the song, and the female vocal, grainier and ruins the whole picture.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,024 of 18,652
Did you have to pay any extra import fees? Looks nice by the way, I can't wait to get mine and compare it to my X3! Either way I will keep both.
Nope. DHL just brought it to the door and my wife signed for it. I jave my X3 sitting next to it. Just have to cook my boys some dinner and then I can sit down and do some serious comparisons

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,025 of 18,652
mine is waiting for pickup. will I be able to copy music to the sdcard with the USB cable or will i need a reader? it uses a standard USB cable? I want to make sure i can get music on it. just put the music in the root of the sdcard? leaving tomorrow, should be nice. thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back