The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 10, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #18,391 of 18,652
You guys give a lot of good information here! Thank you.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 10, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #18,392 of 18,652
I didn't reformat my SD card using the SD card association software. I wonder if that would make a difference...

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #18,393 of 18,652
Thank you for everyones help.  I formatted the sd card using the exfat (64gig).  I also updated firmware to the 1.9.5.  I rarely unzip stuff.  Had to learn how to do that again also. 

I loaded about 40 gigs of music on the sd card using my card reader on pc.  All Lossless and hi rez.  I dont listen to anything compressed files.  16 bit or higher only.

This little player does need some burn in time.  Just after 12 hours is sounding fuller and smooother.  Ill give it a hundred hours before really listen.  

Its diffently likes the best headphones you have.  Im using my Alpha Primes straight into it.  Really good so far,  Volume is not at max.  Overall I like the sound a lot.  Considereing i can watch around and do stuff and not be tied to my pc setup.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #18,394 of 18,652
I didn't reformat my SD card using the SD card association software. I wonder if that would make a difference...

@7S Cameron .  I seem to remember that you may have been complaining about skips and stutters.
I had that a loooong time ago, but have not experienced as much recently.  Here is what I did/do.

Full format of uSD card.  Even when I buy a new one, I fully format.  NOT quick format.  (I THINK exFAT will be fine.)
When I add new music, I delete the music folder created by the DX50.  I forget the name, but it is the folder YOU didn't add.  ha ha.  DX 50 will re-add everything it needs when it does a library re-scan.
I insert uSD and go to the settings > rescan library and do a full scan of the library.  Takes some time, but not that much.

When doing all those steps, I haven't really experienced skips and stutters in a long, long time.  (disclosure:  Not using the DX50 a ton lately, but when I do, I don't have problems.)

Try that out and see if it improves your experience.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #18,395 of 18,652
You guys give a lot of good information here! Thank you.

You are welcome.  Trying to create the best experience for everyone.  Sharing knowledge and all that good stuff.  And continuing to learn...

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #18,396 of 18,652

@7S Cameron .  I seem to remember that you may have been complaining about skips and stutters.
I had that a loooong time ago, but have not experienced as much recently.  Here is what I did/do.

Full format of uSD card.  Even when I buy a new one, I fully format.  NOT quick format.  (I THINK exFAT will be fine.)
When I add new music, I delete the music folder created by the DX50.  I forget the name, but it is the folder YOU didn't add.  ha ha.  DX 50 will re-add everything it needs when it does a library re-scan.
I insert uSD and go to the settings > rescan library and do a full scan of the library.  Takes some time, but not that much.

When doing all those steps, I haven't really experienced skips and stutters in a long, long time.  (disclosure:  Not using the DX50 a ton lately, but when I do, I don't have problems.)

Try that out and see if it improves your experience.

I've wanted to try a reformat, but I have been procrastinating because of how long it will take to transfer my music files back on to the SD card. I will definitely give this a shot soon as the stuttering drives me crazy even though it doesn't happen that often.

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #18,397 of 18,652
I've wanted to try a reformat, but I have been procrastinating because of how long it will take to transfer my music files back on to the SD card. I will definitely give this a shot soon as the stuttering drives me crazy even though it doesn't happen that often.

Not sure what size you are using, but I would say just buy a new one and start fresh.  uSD cards are silly cheap now.  (as compared to last year or 2 years ago.)  I just got a Samsung 128 for about 40 bucks.  I formatted it, then copied all my music from 2 64G cards onto one 128.  And 64G cards are even cheaper.  Amazon has 64G for 20 bucks, and 128G for 40 bucks.

That way there will be no question in your mind later.  If it was me, and I reformatted, then copied over, then still got stuttering, I would be like, "Well.  Is it the card or the DX50?"  Then I would still have to get a new card to troubleshoot that anyway.

Only a suggestion.  :)

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #18,402 of 18,652
Just share my  impression,
I just acquired new Etymotic ER4 SR version, paired with DX50 1.9.5 delivered  absolutely stunning sound.
I have some IEMs ; Shure 215, RHA715, TDK BA200... but with ER4SR (or XR) give next level satisfaction.

Initially, I want to change my DX50 to other DAP to get better sound, but I  think I made good decision by bought ER4SR. I will  keep DX50 longer..:)
I will try another Firmware (inc 3rd party FW) in next week end, and see what the improvement can be done.

~ron~

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #18,403 of 18,652
Just got some JBL LSR305's for my bedroom that I'm using with the DX50:

I really appreciate now that the DX50 has a separate line out that is variable. I can use it to control the volume, and sounds great!

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #18,404 of 18,652
​Hey guys,

​I've got an issue with the coaxial lineout. I bought new cables to plug the DAP to my receiver, but I can't play 24 Bits FLACs. It works perfectly with the cable from the Dx50 package, but it's really too short.

​Here are the cables I bought : 5 meters Y Cable and 3.5mm to 2x RCA adapter.

Can you please tell me what's wrong?

​Thank you for your help.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #18,405 of 18,652
​Hey guys,

​I've got an issue with the coaxial lineout. I bought new cables to plug the DAP to my receiver, but I can't play 24 Bits FLACs. It works perfectly with the cable from the Dx50 package, but it's really too short.

​Here are the cables I bought : 5 meters Y Cable and 3.5mm to 2x RCA adapter.

Can you please tell me what's wrong?

​Thank you for your help.

You have the wrong cables. Digital Coaxial carries a single digital signal. You don't need to split it into left/right cables.

A digital coaxial cable looks like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&fq=is_parent:True

Then you need the adapter to switch it to the smaller size that the DX50 takes. Don't have my DX50 coaxial cable around to look at the tip, but I think it's a mono 3.5mm jack? Sorry. Don't remember.

Or, this cable attached to the DX50 cable might work:
https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-feet-Extension-Cable-female/dp/B00RXNVU4C/

(not sure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back