The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #17,821 of 18,652
  tbh, I've never had issues with the scrolling on my DX50.

Scrolling one screen-height at a time (with finger/thumb always in contact when in motion) works fine. But when giving a "flick" up or down, it goes at a (slightly too fast to read) fixed speed for an arbitrary amount of time, then suddenly lurches to a stop. It's pretty clunky, and makes navigating e.g. the artist list unpleasant. I've never used any other touch device that doesn't use a simple "inertial" smooth deceleration rather than a weird fixed speed with a sudden slow/stop at the end.

The whole reason I chose this device over the competition was the high sdxc capacity because I have a very large collection. Trying to navigate that collection one screen-height at a time so that I can actually read the words is incredibly tedious and annoying. If I only had <50 artists in there, it would not be a big deal, but fast flicks are the only good way to get through long lists, and the DX50's ballistics on fast flicks is horrible. There's no way to get a medium speed, because it goes: really fast (for a long time), slow (for about 0.5 sec.), stop. If you try to flick slower to get a (nonexistant) medium speed, it simply starts at slow speed and stops 0.5 seconds later. It's weird.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #17,822 of 18,652

tbh, I've never had issues with the scrolling on my DX50.

Scrolling one screen-height at a time (with finger/thumb always in contact when in motion) works fine. But when giving a "flick" up or down, it goes at a (slightly too fast to read) fixed speed for an arbitrary amount of time, then suddenly lurches to a stop. It's pretty clunky, and makes navigating e.g. the artist list unpleasant. I've never used any other touch device that doesn't use a simple "inertial" smooth deceleration rather than a weird fixed speed with a sudden slow/stop at the end.

The whole reason I chose this device over the competition was the high sdxc capacity because I have a very large collection. Trying to navigate that collection one screen-height at a time so that I can actually read the words is incredibly tedious and annoying. If I only had <50 artists in there, it would not be a big deal, but fast flicks are the only good way to get through long lists, and the DX50's ballistics on fast flicks is horrible. There's no way to get a medium speed, because it goes: really fast (for a long time), slow (for about 0.5 sec.), stop. If you try to flick slower to get a (nonexistant) medium speed, it simply starts at slow speed and stops 0.5 seconds later. It's weird.

I've sort of gotten used to it, but I definitely agree with you. The scrolling is atrocious.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #17,823 of 18,652
You guys have no idea about the scrolling. It's actually quite intuitive.

Try holding and swiping your finger on the scroll bar on the right side of the screen. You can manipulate that scrollbar to scroll MUCH farther and faster. It's the tiny little bar on the right side of the screen. Use that instead of tediously flicking your finger upward 50 times.

I use this to navigate through huge lists.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #17,824 of 18,652
  You guys have no idea about the scrolling. It's actually quite intuitive.

Try holding and swiping your finger on the scroll bar on the right side of the screen. You can manipulate that scrollbar to scroll MUCH farther and faster. It's the tiny little bar on the right side of the screen. Use that instead of tediously flicking your finger upward 50 times.

I use this to navigate through huge lists.

I like the side scroll bar, but  a.) because it's right at the edge of the screen, it's difficult to access when the DX50 is in its silicone case (which mine is always in for protection), and  b.) in very large lists, it is impossible to land exactly on a particular item, so scrolling is almost always necessary to zero in on the desired artist/album/etc..

AND...sometimes I like to simply scroll through my collection to find something I haven't listened to in a while. It would be nice to be able to do this at a sane pace and in a smooth manner.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #17,825 of 18,652
I've written in this thread before that I was encountering stuttering with my DX50 but solved it by ensuring my SD card was formatted in FAT32.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I can barely play anything without the player stuttering like crazy at the moment. I can't seem to nail down exactly why.

Any tips or ideas? Thank you for your help.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #17,826 of 18,652
  I've written in this thread before that I was encountering stuttering with my DX50 but solved it by ensuring my SD card was formatted in FAT32.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I can barely play anything without the player stuttering like crazy at the moment. I can't seem to nail down exactly why.

Any tips or ideas? Thank you for your help.

I encoutered it sometime to, and the funny thing is I don't even know how I solved it but I did anw lol. Here's a few thing you can try:
- Factory Reset.
- Rescan library.
- Reflash FW.
- This may sounds dumb, but try letting the player shut itself off (set auto turn off to 5 min). My player (3 of them since I got to sent it for warranty twice) seems to encounter the "Boot up blank", like when you boot the player up the screen light up, the player actually runs but nothing shows up on the screen. You have to press the power button to turn the screen off and turn it on once again and everything seems to went back to normal. Nevertheless, if you turn off the player by power button the next time this issue will persist, and it is really annoying when you use SU because you cannot see the screen to change the SU settings. The only way to solve it is letting the player shut itself down. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #17,827 of 18,652

I encoutered it sometime to, and the funny thing is I don't even know how I solved it but I did anw lol. Here's a few thing you can try:
- Factory Reset.
- Rescan library.
- Reflash FW.
- This may sounds dumb, but try letting the player shut itself off (set auto turn off to 5 min). 

Thank you. I've tried all but your last suggestion so far. Really quite terrifically upset at the moment with it. :'(

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #17,828 of 18,652

Thank you. I've tried all but your last suggestion so far. Really quite terrifically upset at the moment with it. :'(

Try a selection of folders with no tags and see if the stuttering still occurs. 

it could be a tagging issue.

Also, what size micro sd card are you using? 32gb? 64gb?

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #17,830 of 18,652

128GB.

It seems to be only FLAC files that are affected by this stuttering?

When I was using 64gb cards in FAT32 format I had nothing but trouble with my DX50/DX90.

1) Format the card back to stock (exFat)

2) See if that solved the issue (if not goto 3)

3) Grab a selection of FLAC files you know have the stuttering and use this program to clean /check the tags.

MP3Tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Only leave these tags:

Artist
Album
Title
Track
Year

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #17,831 of 18,652

When I was using 64gb cards in FAT32 format I had nothing but trouble with my DX50/DX90.

1) Format the card back to stock (exFat)

2) See if that solved the issue (if not goto 3)

3) Grab a selection of FLAC files you know have the stuttering and use this program to clean /check the tags.

MP3Tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Only leave these tags:

Artist
Album
Title
Track
Year

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

I know I did have the stuttering issue quite badly in exFAT, then I reformatted to FAT32 and I thought all had gone well. It also seems to be affecting files with no tags whatsoever. But I'll double check it all and try again.

To test a theory I also did a read speed test of the SD card, and it came back at 7MB/s, which isn't high but it is ten times the data rate of the FLAC file so it should be ok?

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #17,832 of 18,652

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

I know I did have the stuttering issue quite badly in exFAT, then I reformatted to FAT32 and I thought all had gone well. It also seems to be affecting files with no tags whatsoever. But I'll double check it all and try again.

To test a theory I also did a read speed test of the SD card, and it came back at 7MB/s, which isn't high but it is ten times the data rate of the FLAC file so it should be ok?

Then it may not be a tagging issue as originally thought if its happening to files without any tags. 

Does it do it with all micro sd card? Do you have another you can try?

If it does this with another card its starting to sound like a hardware issue.

All you can do is start completely fresh and eliminate the issue using all the steps mentioned by myself and other members.

Reinstall the firmware
Delete the image. file from both the internal and micro sd card. (this is rather important)
Factory Reset
Try scanning a couple of different cards
See if the issue is solved

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #17,833 of 18,652

Then it may not be a tagging issue as originally thought if its happening to files without any tags. 

Does it do it with all micro sd card? Do you have another you can try?

If it does this with another card its starting to sound like a hardware issue.

All you can do is start completely fresh and eliminate the issue using all the steps mentioned by myself and other members.

Reinstall the firmware
Delete the image. file from both the internal and micro sd card. (this is rather important)
Factory Reset
Try scanning a couple of different cards
See if the issue is solved

Ok, thank you, I've done every step of the above. It's not the SD card, it's not the firmware being loaded incorrectly, it's not tags....

Any other avenues left to explore..?

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #17,834 of 18,652
Ok, thank you, I've done every step of the above. It's not the SD card, it's not the firmware being loaded incorrectly, it's not tags....

Any other avenues left to explore..?

I'm out of ideas.

Send iBasso an email from thier contact page on thier website, see if they've heard of this problem.

In the meantime check back here occasionally, maybe someone can think of something we haven't yet.

Goodluck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back