The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Dec 19, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #241 of 1,096
Well , according to @donglemadness , Elite isn't superior to DC04 Pro to begin with ... while being 3 times more expensive ....

The price is the result of iBasso trying to miniaturize the ROHM DAC into a small factor, with the law of diminishing returns applying ...

It's kind of dissapointing to be honest.

Sorry, I don't know how DC04 Pro sounds since I don't have access to it, but to my ears DC Elite sounds superior to DC06 Pro. Is donglemadness the person who made a video that DC Elite has digital volume with 100-step adjustment while referring to its analog 24-step attenuator? But either way, everybody has their own subjective opinion about how things sound and what is superior or inferior. If you are on the budget, DC06 Pro will make more sense, for sure. If you can stretch your budget, try DC Elite. And please keep in mind, every review is just a single data point, someone else's opinion (either if it is mine, donglemadness, or anybody else's), while you ears with your own iems/headphones playing your favorite tracks will be the final judge of how it really sounds and compares.

... and yes, as you go up in pricing, the law of diminishing returns kicks in hard :D

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #242 of 1,096
My impressions of dc elite paired with sony ier z1r with corseir tips and s23u source.

What i noticed immediately was this sense of musicality and surround (lack of a better word) feeling that i havent experienced with any dongle before. All of this but not sacrificing any technical.

It adds warmth to the z1r. Vocals and instruments has more heft to them and imo makes the z1r more enjoyable. The rest of the band seems neutral to me, maybe a lil more oomph in the treble as everything sounds a bit more crisp (could be the ear tips as well, since i replace both same time).

The best part for me though is enjoying z1r in lower volumes! For reference i had to set the ru6 to 35-40 with low gains and 4.4 balanced out to truly enjoy z1r. The elite sounds great right out of the gates on the first notch.

Truly remarkable dac and imo it feels like it was made for the z1r.

Downsides. You have to make sure the volume are set properly or you will have hiss (otherwise its a black background) and the guard is a bit big and makes the volume harder to turn. Understood its there to help accidental twists but personally a bit over guarded. My fat fingers struggles sometimes..lol. minor quibbles for me, once i set it ... its good for hours as i enjoy music.

Love the build quality, screams high quality and reminds me why i paid a pretty penny for it.

I did buy this dongle and paid regular retail for it so all thoughts are my own. Just a guy in pursuit of the perfect sound for me to enjoy music and i think i found it. Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #243 of 1,096
My impressions of dc elite paired with sony ier z1r with corseir tips and s23u source.

What i noticed immediately was this sense of musicality and surround (lack of a better word) feeling that i havent experienced with any dongle before. All of this but not sacrificing any technical.

It adds warmth to the z1r. Vocals and instruments has more heft to them and imo makes the z1r more enjoyable. The rest of the band seems neutral to me, maybe a lil more oomph in the treble as everything sounds a bit more crisp (could be the ear tips as well, since i replace both same time).

The best part for me though is enjoying z1r in lower volumes! For reference i had to set the ru6 to 35-40 with low gains and 4.4 balanced out to truly enjoy z1r. The elite sounds great right out of the gates on the first notch.

Truly remarkable dac and imo it feels like it was made for the z1r.

Downsides. You have to make sure the volume are set properly or you will have hiss (otherwise its a black background) and the guard is a bit big and makes the volume harder to turn. Understood its there to help accidental twists but personally a bit over guarded. My fat fingers struggles sometimes..lol.

Love the build quality, screams high quality and reminds me why i paid a pretty penny for it.

I did buy this dongle and paid regular retail for it so all thoughts are my own. Just a guy in pursuit of the perfect sound for me to enjoy music and i think i found it. Cheers

When you say hiss, you mean when the volume knob is in-between clicks, right?

Btw, here is my mod to add volume indicator. Just added a small narrow sticker as I'm testing it now with different IEMs/headphones to indicate the listening volume level :)

ibasso-dc_elite-x08.jpg

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #244 of 1,096
When you say hiss, you mean when the volume knob is in-between clicks, right?

Btw, here is my mod to add volume indicator. Just added a small narrow sticker as I'm testing it now with different IEMs/headphones to indicate the listening volume level :)

Yes, in-between clicks or if it wasnt seated properly you'll get a hiss. Easily rectified by readjusting the knob (turning it so it sits properly or better to turn volume up or down and back again).

Edit: sticker is nice. I think ill do the same. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #245 of 1,096
I have the DC04PRO and it sounds good. But to even compare the sound of the DC04PRO and the DC Elite and call them anywhere near the same makes me questions anyone's hearing. It isn't just subjective, the DC Elite is better than the Sony WM1Z I have, bigger soundstage, even more natural sounding, more dynamic and better bass impact with definition.

They are no where near the same and to me, it is lame to say they are.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #246 of 1,096
I have the DC04PRO and it sounds good. But to even compare the sound of the DC04PRO and the DC Elite and call them anywhere near the same makes me questions anyone's hearing. It isn't just subjective, the DC Elite is better than the Sony WM1Z I have, bigger soundstage, even more natural sounding, more dynamic and better bass impact with definition.

They are no where near the same and to me, it is lame to say they are.
I only saw one person here saying they sound the same, based on Andy's review, where he clearly does not say they sound the same, but rather have similar sonic signatures.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #247 of 1,096
I only saw one person here saying they sound the same, based on Andy's review, where he clearly does not say they sound the same, but rather have similar sonic signatures.
The point is, they are two totally different horses. To me, they aren't the same nor are they similar in any way. Good or bad, sonically, they are very different.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #249 of 1,096
Based on the Rohm chip inside I would guess it would sound distinctly different from a CS chip-based dongle.
If for no other reason, yes. But then with the stepped attenuator and what appears from what I have read, a very clean signal path and DC. It is too good for its size and better than some daps I have that are far more expensive. Good stuff!

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #250 of 1,096
Add me to the “I love the sound but I don’t love the volume guards, nor do I love the lack of fine-tuning volume adjustment” group. I do think this is a marvel sonically for a dongle dac/amp.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #251 of 1,096
_DSC8990.jpg
_DSC8998.jpg
_DSC9000.jpg

iBasso DC Elite

Hello. I am a newbie to this forum.:L3000:
I purchased [DC Elite] 3 days ago.
This is my first time using an iBasso product and my first impression was good.

What was good:
1. Wow, that sounds really crazy.
High resolution, momentum, detail, etc.
I think we did our best to make it up to DAP level.

Compared to RU6, which is still in use,
The texture was a little different from the warm and soft tone of RU6.
I would like to describe it as cold and accurate.
As its nickname, Mini 320max, stands out for its refreshing and refreshing sound.
Dynamic and powerful.

In fact, the RU6's sound is warm and smooth, making it great for long-term listening.
However, due to the nature of commuting and outdoor viewing that requires short and deep listening,
I like the strong output and stimulating taste.
Regardless of taste, the performance itself is overwhelming.

2. The build quality of the body and accessories is better than expected.
This is my first time using an Ivaso product and the finish is clean and nice.

_DSC8975.jpg

3. It is quite expensive for a pigtail.
I thought a lot about it before purchasing it, but I am satisfied.
It's not as big as I thought and it's lighter.

Disappointing:
1. You can control it from the app, but
The DAC itself adjusts volume level and gain.
It's a bit disappointing that you can't check it intuitively.
Especially in the volume section unless you turn the knob all the way.
It's difficult to confirm.

2. Inconvenience in volume control.
- Between steps like the volume of DX320max ti
If the contact is incomplete, the sound may be cut off or
Left and right channel balance is unstable.

- The molding around the volume knob makes it very inconvenient to operate the knob.
It's already a hard volume, but it keeps getting stuck in my hand and is difficult to turn.

Actually, I was aware of these two problems before purchasing.
Once adjusted, there is no problem as it is generally used at a constant level.
But being uncomfortable is being uncomfortable.

The app features are lacking, but I'm sure it will improve over time.
iBasso is amazing!!

//Please understand if my English is strange. Google Translator..

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #252 of 1,096
PSX_20231221_160123.jpg

PSX_20231221_160152.jpg

PSX_20231221_160232.jpg

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #254 of 1,096
Mind linking where you got the knob sir?
Have that knob for almost 20 years. It was a leftover from my amp building days and laid in my drawer for all that time. However, that kind of knob is not difficult to find. Just search 'volume knob' on eBay or AliExpress, look for one with 15mm outer diameter and 6mm D (half) type shaft. Knob with set screw can be used as well, but might need some adjustment. Original height is 9mm, so anything higher is fine. That one I used is 14mm, which sticks just a little more out than I like. I reckon 12mm will be just about perfect for me. Might order a few more to try as volume knob is generally pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #255 of 1,096
Have that knob for almost 20 years. It was a leftover from my amp building days and laid in my drawer for all that time. However, that kind of knob is not difficult to find. Just search 'volume knob' on eBay or AliExpress, look for one with 15mm outer diameter and 6mm D (half) type shaft. Knob with set screw can be used as well, but might need some adjustment. Original height is 9mm, so anything higher is fine. That one I used is 14mm, which sticks just a little more out than I like. I reckon 12mm will be just about perfect for me. Might order a few more to try as volume knob is generally pretty cheap.
Thanks. I’ll try find one that colour matches 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back