The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Dec 17, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #211 of 1,070

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 3.55.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 3.55.26 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #212 of 1,070
That would be nice but at this time no. We made the DC-Elite as an absolute pure device, as much as possible with a USB in and from the Analog out as clean as possible.

This is one reason for the true stepped attenuator, sound. No 60, 80 or 100 steps but an Analog volume stepped attenuator. We looked into having no guard around the volume control but as a portable device, it could change the volume too easily. Also, as a true, as pure signal path as we could do with very high quality parts, we went all out for sound and quality. Normally you can find the right volume and from there, changing the volume frequently should not be an issue but again, I stress that we went all out for sound quality and parts quality, which is why we refer to this as a mini DX320MAX and to that, I think we have accomplished this.
You definitely did. It’s like the DX320Max little baby!

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #213 of 1,070
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #214 of 1,070
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #217 of 1,070
That would be nice but at this time no. We made the DC-Elite as an absolute pure device, as much as possible with a USB in and from the Analog out as clean as possible.

This is one reason for the true stepped attenuator, sound. No 60, 80 or 100 steps but an Analog volume stepped attenuator. We looked into having no guard around the volume control but as a portable device, it could change the volume too easily. Also, as a true, as pure signal path as we could do with very high quality parts, we went all out for sound and quality. Normally you can find the right volume and from there, changing the volume frequently should not be an issue but again, I stress that we went all out for sound quality and parts quality, which is why we refer to this as a mini DX320MAX and to that, I think we have accomplished this.
Im still in the honeymoon stage but i personally think its an awesome product so far.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #218 of 1,070
Guys, sorry for the noob question, I don't feel like searching the forum: the DC-Elite is supposed to sound EXACTLY like the DX320Max, right? So really no differences? And the DX320Max IS the DX320Max Ti?

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #219 of 1,070
I got a handful of questions from a number of people, and figured to reply here in the thread for others to benefit from.

Regarding the price, looks like iBasso is using custom analog volume step attenuator (similar to the one in DX320MAX Ti), premium ROHM BD34301 dac, Titanium finish chassis, and other higher end analog components. That alone adds up to a premium cost.

ibasso-dc_elite-x01.jpg

The volume. That's also a deja vu of DX320MAX Ti discussions. It's analog, 24 steps, and by the design of step attenuator the volume drops between the "steps". That is just how it works. But unlike 320MAX where you have to deal with 3dB steps of coarse volume adjustment which could be a bit of a problem with sensitive IEMs, DC Elite has a clever 1dB adjustment workaround. There is a button on a side which adjusts the volume in 1dB steps, a finer adjustment of the loudness. You can access it with either a hw side button or through the latest iBasso UAC app (PCM volume reduction option). Btw, the same hw button switches 3.5mm output to SPDIF when you long press it, or you can do the same from within the app.

ibasso-dc_elite-x07.jpg

Regarding the size, it is bigger than other dongles, but not as drastic as some imagine it.

ibasso-dc_elite-x06.jpg

Regarding the volume guard on the side. Personally, I find it to be not necessary because step attenuator has plenty of resistance and will be hard to bump when carrying in the pocket. It does look cool from aesthetic perspective, giving the design a more premium look, but it also makes the volume wheel harder to turn, especially if you have phat fingers. I can only speak from a personal experience and I found absolutely no issues adjusting the volume, but I can't speak for others and wouldn't dismiss their comments. Personally, I find W4 volume wheel a bit too loose and easy to bump carrying it in my pocket; that one would have benefitted from a volume guard. The only real negative comment about volume wheel of DC Elite is lack of a marker to indicate the position of the wheel. Also, not the end of the world since you can just draw a notch with a permanent marker :D

ibasso-dc_elite-x02.jpg ibasso-dc_elite-x03.jpg
ibasso-dc_elite-x04.jpg ibasso-dc_elite-x05.jpg

I'm still going through final stages of burn in and collecting my sound impressions, but so far I don't think I heard a bigger soundstage from any other dongle I've tested, not even some of the high end DAPs can reach such holographic level of sound expansion. And overall, a very pure, transparent, natural, clear, detailed sound tonality, making quite a few other sources sound colored in comparison.

And last, but not least, why would a manufacturer design $450 dongle to sound exactly like their $3,500 flagship DAP? Wouldn't that affect/kill sales of all of their DAPs? :wink: Just think about it :)

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #220 of 1,070
And last, but not least, why would a manufacturer design $450 dongle to sound exactly like their $3,500 flagship DAP? Wouldn't that affect/kill sales of all of their DAPs? :wink: Just think about it :)
Of course, I'm right there with you. But that's how it's advertised (or not?!) and that's what some people claim. I was skeptical right from the start - and I still am. Thank you for the initial clarification.

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #221 of 1,070
Of course, I'm right there with you. But that's how it's advertised (or not?!) and that's what some people claim. I was skeptical right from the start - and I still am. Thank you for the initial clarification.

1702919442737.png

There is definitely some truth to it, but they (iBasso) are not claiming it will be EXACTLY the same as 320MAX :wink: Just like RU7 is not exactly N7, or W4 is not exactly P6 Pro :)

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #222 of 1,070

There is definitely some truth to it, but they (iBasso) are not claiming it will be EXACTLY the same as 320MAX :wink: Just like RU7 is not exactly N7, or W4 is not exactly P6 Pro :)
Well, the way I see it from a linguistic scientific perspective, iBasso is suggesting that the DC-Elite is a DX320MAX in miniature ("Miniaturized DX320MAX"), telling us implicit that they both have the same sound performance. In Germany, iBasso would certainly get into trouble for such misleading advertising.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #223 of 1,070
I'm still going through final stages of burn in and collecting my sound impressions, but so far I don't think I heard a bigger soundstage from any other dongle I've tested, not even some of the high end DAPs can reach such holographic level of sound expansion. And overall, a very pure, transparent, natural, clear, detailed sound tonality, making quite a few other sources sound colored in comparison.
This.

It’s quite clear how good this dongle is. I thought for a second maybe I’m hearing this because: I’m still in honeymoon phase and yeah new toy.

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #224 of 1,070
Well, the way I see it from a linguistic scientific perspective, iBasso is suggesting that the DC-Elite is a DX320MAX in miniature ("Miniaturized DX320MAX"), telling us implicit that they both have the same sound performance. In Germany, iBasso would certainly get into trouble for such misleading advertising.
If it said "smaller size, same performance" that would be one thing. "Miniaturized" doesn't necessarily imply that the sound quality is exactly the same. We know the power output isn't the same, so already we can see it's NOT a miniaturized 320 Max. It has the same DAC chip and the same stepped attenuator and I think that's about where the comparisons stop. I'm sure the sound has qualities in common with the 320 Max because of the Rohm chip.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #225 of 1,070

Users who are viewing this thread

Back