The "I don't like the 'Sennheiser sound'" Thread
Aug 27, 2005 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

mrdon

500+ Head-Fier
I recently lived with a pair of HD-580's for about a week. I did everything I could to like them but in the end I learned I just don't care for the Senn sound. Ever since then it has perplexed me how anyone can like it! To my ears, the HD-580 robbed the life from my best recordings. I know I am taking a risk openly pledging my Sennheiser sentiments b/c many head-fi'ers own multiple pairs of Senns and give them a great deal of good reviews. But I know there are those of us who would rather use tins cans and a rope before we would ever put those velvety pads on our heads. Therefore Sennheiser detesters and detractors unite and tell us about your lack of appreciation for these well-loved phones.
icon10.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
I recently lived with a pair of HD-580's for about a week. I did everything I could to like them but in the end I learned I just don't care for the Senn sound. Ever since then it has perplexed me how anyone can like it! To my ears, the HD-580 robbed the life from my best recordings. I know I am taking a risk openly pledging my Sennheiser sentiments b/c many head-fi'ers own multiple pairs of Senns and give them a great deal of good reviews. But I know there are those of us who would rather use tins cans and a rope before we would ever put those velvety pads on our heads. Therefore Sennheiser detesters and detractors unite and tell us about your lack of appreciation for these well-loved phones.
icon10.gif

It's so bad that you'd rather have tin cans? I think it's alright not to like a certain brand because admittedly they have different sounds, but to insult them that much!?
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 103
280smile.gif

I agree ... difference headphone give difference sound.
I own few difference earphone to suit my mood
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 103
Well, after living with Grados and Alessandros for a few months, I can never go back to the Sennheiser house sound. I dunno if the Grado's killed my hearing or something, but the Senns just sound so damn boring to me. This is coming from an ex Sennheiser fanboy, who has been through the HD497, HD570, HD580, HD600 and HD650. I still recognize that the Senns are technically superior to the Grados, and that they are kick ass cans if you like their sound.

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 103
What's next, a why don't you like grado/stax/beyer/akg/pokemon/ipod/ice cream thread?

Remember guys, it's cool not to like something cause others do! Evernyone likes senns, but I don't, so I am the s**t! Man, if you don't like the senn sound, that's your thing. A bunch of other people feel the same. But coming out and asking how other people could possibly like the headphone as if you just couldn't wrap your mind around it . . . yeeeeah. Maybe the rest of us are nuts for liking em.
wink.gif

I'm gonna go date a girl for a week, and then ask how anyone in their right mind would want to be with her. Hell, some other guys might find her pretty, or like her personality. But I just don't get it. I want to ask these crazy dudes why would they want this woman. Well . . maybe she just didn't do anything for me . . . nah. Nobody wants her and she's crap. That can be the only explanation.

To quote carlos mencia: "dee dee dee"

BTW, pokemon are the devil's children.

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
What source and amp were you using and what other cans did you use that you prefer?

Also, you should fill out your profile
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. How in the world can HD580s sound bad?
tongue.gif

Modded Samsung HD-841>Silver IC's >Millet (12FK6's) w/TREAD PS>HD-580's

But now my rig is configured this way

Modded Samsung HD-841>Canare Starquad IC's>Millet> SONY MDR-SA5000's
eggosmile.gif

The Sony's took the cotton out of my ears that the HD-580's stuffed in them.

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 103
What use is a vs/"other-Brand" sucks thread without a fight!

Here they are, gazing at each other, waiting for the first can to make a move.
Fight1.JPG

And it's on! The MS-Pros throw the first fist/can/appendage
Fight2.JPG

But the Sennheisers fight back! With a mighty stomp on the bowl pads!
Fight3.JPG

Oh, now they're just showboating, standing on them like they've won, wait till they see....
Fight4.JPG

Flying headphone drop!
Fight5.JPG

The truth is, no one ever wins. There are only losers
Fight6.JPG

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 103
that last pic looks so...dirty...
600smile.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 103
"Folks, this isn't going to be pretty."
Fight7.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread