The HP-1000's have landed...ummm...again (56K warning pics)
Jan 3, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #61 of 118
I think the HP-2/3's look better than the HP-1. After looking over these pics, I would settle for less closely matched drivers, to have the JG button over the phase switch. Plus you have to wonder if having a switch in line with the positive lead takes anything away from the signal.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #63 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
hp-2 drivers are not less closely matched then hp-1'

yep, the HP-2 is exactly the same except for the phase switch. the HP-3 is the one that is less well matched and, according to John Grado in Zanth's great interview series, even many of those are the same as the HP-1 regarding matching.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #64 of 118
Yep, in the sweet spot of sweet spots, I believe the HP2 is the best for my tastes in the HP1000 series of cans.

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #65 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
one thing i deeply enjoy about the HP-2 is that it is forgiving as well as being capable of growing with your upstream equipment without changing what they are.

and they will continue to reveal and improve more and more as i get better amps and sources. other phones sound good with lesser equipment and great with wonderful equipment, but many of these phones change fundamentally as the upstream components improve; the fundamental character of the HP1000s stays the same, but they reveal new insight into the music, as you improve your gear, without changing the way they portray the music. to me, this is what technical dynamism and neutrality are all about; insight and musical revelation. it makes it highly enjoyable, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, you nailed it right there. When I talked to Joe, he explained it as the ability to extract every single ounce of detail while retaining musicality.

The headband is great - its pretty much an iron bar that you can set in place and it stays there, it essentially doesnt have a clamping force or as much as current grado headbands or sennheiser bands. This is nice for me since I have a pretty big head, but smaller headed users can bend it in to shape to the contour of their heads. It looks like EPR that you have a pretty small head compared to mine, as your ear pieces are bent a bit farther in and mine seem so far apart its like they are scared of each other
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #66 of 118
Please stop praising the HP-1000's!! It'll only make their prices go up even more! I won't ever get my hands on them if this carries on!!

AHEM...

I speak from experience over many hours of listening to the HP-1's, HP-2's and HP-3's that they are over priced rubbish and should have a much lower price... [size=xx-small]So I can get them!!
biggrin.gif
[/size] Or be put back into production and sold at their original prices.
smily_headphones1.gif

(P.S I've never tried them...but certainly intend to!)

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #67 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
It looks like EPR that you have a pretty small head compared to mine, as your ear pieces are bent a bit farther in and mine seem so far apart its like they are scared of each other
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
nobody ever accused me of having a small head, as i wear a 7 3/4 hat! you must be a monster!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #68 of 118
Quote:

eek.gif
nobody ever accused me of having a small head, as i wear a 7 3/4 hat! you must be a monster!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

I also wear above a 7 3/4 hat...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #71 of 118
Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Weird - I wear 7 3/4 hat as well on my fitted hats, must be an optical illusion i guess.

...ummm...team big head 7 3/4's unite...ummm, yeah
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Damn it, now you got me all paranoid thinking my head is abnormally huge, hence the pic below, judge for yourself lol:

Me_.JPG

That's my picture for 6moons

20679DSC00273.JPG

And that's some more Grado **** for ya - those were my 1st set of HP-2's, 95% lettering intact

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #72 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
Please stop praising the HP-1000's!! It'll only make their prices go up even more! I won't ever get my hands on them if this carries on!!

AHEM...

I speak from experience over many hours of listening to the HP-1's, HP-2's and HP-3's that they are over priced rubbish and should have a much lower price... [size=xx-small]So I can get them!!
biggrin.gif
[/size] Or be put back into production and sold at their original prices.
smily_headphones1.gif

(P.S I've never tried them...but certainly intend to!)

Sorry, but time for me to add to the (very well deserved Hype):

These (for me) are the holy grail of headphones. They will have to be pried from my cold, dead, necrotic hands (and even then you will need a BIG crowbar). Yes, they are that good. I just finished out making my will that says to have them burried with me J/K.
biggrin.gif

I made recstar an offer to buy his newly acquired pair from him which he (wisely) turned down... yep, they are *that* good.

They are the one headphone to 'rule them all' IMO.

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #73 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
These (for me) are the holy grail of headphones. They will have to be pried from my cold, dead, necrotic hands (and even then you will need a BIG crowbar). Yes, they are that good. I just finished out making my will that says to have them burried with me J/K.
biggrin.gif

Indeed they are that good and I feel that this is one of the few headphones which lives up to and surpasses the hype. I had no problem paying what I did for mine and mine included all the good stuff I posted before. They also came with a Joe Grado Reference Ultra Wide Bandwidth Ext. Cable. Soon after I got the HPA-1 which is truly a match made in heaven. I can only imagine how good a Melos SHA-1 sounds with these babies.
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #74 of 118
My Preciousss...
evil_smiley.gif

They'll need a bonesaw after I'm gone... okay, before this gets too gross...

I turned down a request to borrow mine recently. I felt bad doing it, since I normally would share the love, but these are MINE. The only place they go is on my noggin. Now, for those of us with more than one pair: tsk tsk
tongue.gif

I can't wait to see how far these babies can go... eventually, I'll be able to build (and listen to) a system worthy of their abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back