The Hornet is here! Together with ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock: Niiiice combo!
Dec 19, 2006 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
The "M" Hornet landed today... Together with an ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock for my Ipod...

Build quality is top notch for both items: Ray and Ken are skilled professionals and their products are nothing short of spectacular.

Here's a picture of my new rig, listening impressions will follow.

Listening Impressions with a fully burnt-in HD595 (after only 24 hours of burn-in for both the cable and the amp)

I first got the cable in the morning, and so swapped from ipod/bling bling dock/ldm+ to ipod/jumbo cryo dock/ldm+
I immediately noticed a larger soundstage in respect to the bling bling, as well as more detail and instrument separation, and a bit more extension in the lowest frequencies. The overall tonal balance was more natural, warmer and "fatter" than the bling bling, which instead can be a tiny thin/harsh at times, on some records. Overall a great interconnect, plus it's sturdy and can be bent back and forth without breaking, unlike the bling bling which has to be taken care of.

I was already happy with the new cable: I had a larger soundstage, more instrument separation and detail, and I finally got rid of the tonal balance of the bling bling (which I didn't like with my HD595, it gave them too much higher mids/ lower highs)
The overall setup was sounding more refined and more natural...

Then the doorbell rang... OMG it's FedEx with Ray's Hornet...
So I unplug the LDM+, plug The Hornet, and fire it up...
And after a good 4 hours of non stop listening I was like OMG this thing is AMAZING.
My comparison is with a fully burnt-in LDM+ (300 hours+)
The Hornet walks all over the LDM+ in every department.
Power, dynamics, low and high extension, instrument separation, soundstage, details, floor noise, build quality, notes attack & decay..
Of course it costs 6 times as much so it's an unfair comparison but that's it.
It's like I'm listening to my music for the first time, everything is so well portrayed... I can hear every single instrument very very well (great instrument separation) and every single instrument has a livelier, bigger sound with harmonics and nuances I never knew where there... I can hear bass lines and soft cymbals sweeps that I couldn't hear with the LDM+... that's how well The Hornet goes down in the bass and up in the highs... and it still has to go under burn-in!

One last note on build quality: it's simply the best built portable audio device I've ever owned/seen in my whole friggin' life, bar none. Sturdy, small, inredible fit & finish, and it looks damn sexy too.

I will resume this thread as soon as I reach the famous magic 400 hours mark on the amp, to write more elaborate thoughts.

dsc00533largefw6.jpg

dsc00541ga7.jpg

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 25
Man that rig looks sweet! I'm still anxiously waiting for my Hornet to arrive, so my saliva is still dripping over pictures like this
biggrin.gif
. Congrats.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 25
Added first listening impressions to first post.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 25
Question: I've got the first edition of the ALO cryodock, now I see the new Jumbo--think that will fit in the space provided on a Supermacro IV? Looks terribly huge. And just when I got the standard Cryo burned in so nicely!!!.
580smile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 25
One thing: I have completely drained a new alkaline (energizer brand) battery in 20 hours of playtime, on low gain with the volume knob at 11-12 o'clock...

Shouldn't it have lasted a bit more?
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 25
No. There are an AD8397 and an LMH6642 in the amp, thus it's about 18 + 2.7 mA. Do the maths (adding a few mA going to the headphones) and...

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing: I have completely drained a new alkaline (energizer brand) battery in 20 hours of playtime, on low gain with the volume knob at 11-12 o'clock...

Shouldn't it have lasted a bit more?
blink.gif

Gotta get the Tysonic Rechargeable! With built in charger why use regular batts?

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 25
Yeah! I switched to the rechargeables that came with The Hornet...

How long does it take to charge the battery?
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! I switched to the rechargeables that came with The Hornet...

How long does it take to charge the battery?
confused.gif

Thats a must my friend. They take about 2 hours when swithced off but will also charge the batt while running on the power supply. Dont drain till dead and wait to recharge. Those batts like to be constantly charged discharged even if I listen to my hornet for just a few hours I will plug it in for an hour and keep it topped off.

When the get full discharged over and over they dont last as long.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glorious!!

that mini cable is MASSIVE

the irony
biggrin.gif

I'm not a great fan of the Canare 'mini' plug, but the cable itself looks wonderful. I wish Ken could just cover the plug in black heatshrink and print ALO in the big white letters the way he used to finish the Cryo docks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back