The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the Rings & J.R.R. Tolkien)
Dec 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #76 of 115
The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug.
Just saw the first showing (10:00am) this morning, I enjoyed it, but it still leaves me wanting more, have to wait a whole year to see the end movie.
(Nice job on the dragon)

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #78 of 115
Is it just me or was that barrel scene waaaay to long in "Desolation"?
The fight scenes in Laketown could have been a lot shorter too.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #79 of 115
I watched the second movie last night. When I got home, family asked how the movie was and it took me what felt like minutes to produce a reaction.

Anyway just one more to go. Hopefully they'll get more Tolkien in and less of Michael Bay.

p.s. Srsly why the [...] is Tauriel even in there?

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #80 of 115
Tauriel makes the movie more attractive.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #81 of 115
I watched the second movie last night. When I got home, family asked how the movie was and it took me what felt like minutes to produce a reaction.

Anyway just one more to go. Hopefully they'll get more Tolkien in and less of Michael Bay.

p.s. Srsly why the [...] is Tauriel even in there?

I actually don't mind Tauriel, I just don't like the implied love triangle and the endless Michael Bay fighting.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #82 of 115
The Desolation of Smaug had a lot of cool action sequences without much story backbone to progress it and a less than satisfying ending for me.  Splitting The Hobbit up into three movies really showed how little they had to work with in this middle third, and I felt the movie dragged quite a bit as a result.  

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #83 of 115
The Desolation of Smaug special edition soundtrack is not bad even though I have yet to see the movie.  That said, The Hobbit is not on par with The Lord of The Rings.  

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #86 of 115
Just wanted to take a detour from The Hobbit films.
For me, this is probably the most enjoyable part of the behind-the-scenes feature from LoTR.

Reading the trilogy actually made me appreciate [even more] the film making character realization process. And it certainly helps that Gollum's character was given proper treatment so big thumbs up to Andy Serkis and the crew. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #87 of 115
LOTR deserves a TV series. The books are too long to cram into 3 movies.
The large number of characters and events means neither gets enough time and attention to develop, and one ends up viewing them as simply "good" or "bad". I had a blast watching those movies, however, the enjoyment came more from the visuals than suspense or drama.
Still a good effort.

I would've preferred something similar to A Game of Thrones.

The hobbit on the other hand, can do with a single movie. The characters aren't complex, the narrative is linear, single threaded.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #90 of 115

No. The Silmarilon needs a proper TV series. Way too long and complex to turn into a film adaptation. 

The Silmarillion is far too esoteric, spiritual, literary and cerebral to be turned into a TV series.

LOTR lost a tremendous amount of it's spiritual depth in it's translation to film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back