The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the Rings & J.R.R. Tolkien)
Apr 11, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #107 of 115
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #108 of 115
You could always pretend........   
gs1000.gif

perhaps a shift toward Edgar Rice Burroughs is indicated....?   
wink_face.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #109 of 115
  Just saw The Hobbit movie, in general I really like it. I think they expanded on the Hobbit book and filled in with full scenes from stuff that may have only been a paragraph long in the Hobbit book.
Also they add "stuff" to make The Hobbit movie tie-in more to The Lord of the Rings, but I will not say what (also it's been over 35 years since I read the Hobbit, so I'm mostly guessing).
If you see the Hobbit movie and notice the extra's added for the Lord of the Rings tie-ins, please do not post it, let others be surprised.

I saw the Digital Cinema (24 frame, 2D) version today, may go back in a month to see the 48 frame, expanded audio, 3D version.

Peter Jackson is in the Hobbit movie, in the beginning, something like 6 or 7 minutes into the movie, I could not find him.
I do not think talking about Peter Jackson being in the beginning of the Hobbit is a spoiler, as Jackson already is talking about it in interviews.

I've seen all three movies in 48fps 3D. I think the 3D and 48fps technology still needs some work. Some of the scenes look too much like a video game. I think if they had kept the frame rate at 36fps or 30fps, it would keep some of the traditional film-like appearance of the 24fps version, while still improving the flicker inherent in the 3D/24fps version.

I was hoping the third movie (The Battle of the Five Armies) would be the best of the three, but the first two films are easily better. The dragon Smaug is killed off too soon in the third movie, and the rest of the film mostly consists of battles scenes (which are Peter Jackson's specialty). I suppose that would be roughly how the story goes in the book, but I last read the Hobbit about 20 years ago, so I don't remember if the movies are accurate to the book.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #110 of 115
I've seen all three movies in 48fps 3D. I think the 3D and 48fps technology still needs some work. Some of the scenes look too much like a video game. I think if they had kept the frame rate at 36fps or 30fps, it would keep some of the traditional film-like appearance of the 24fps version, while still improving the flicker inherent in the 2D/24fps version.

I was hoping the third movie (The Battle of the Five Armies) would be the best of the three, but the first two films are easily better. The dragon Smaug is killed off too soon in the third movie, and the rest of the film mostly consists of battles scenes (which are Peter Jackson's specialty). I suppose that would be roughly how the story goes in the book, but I last read the Hobbit about 20 years ago, so I don't remember if the movies are accurate to the book.

Unfortunately, the "Hobbit" movies are not very true to the book.

My biggest complaint (and I have many!) is they didn't use enough dialog from the books.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #111 of 115
That's the trouble with all the Hollywood Standard versions.  They stray significantly fron the book version.

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #113 of 115
Peter Jackson's talent was sharp, until it was blunted by success. His dull blade tried its best to carve out something special with The Hobbit movies, but it could not chisel away enough layers, with enough finesse to portray anything of real depth.

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #115 of 115

It was at its sharpest with Braindead IMO
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, totally. Braindead is a fricken masterpiece, haha. Love Heavenly Creatures as well and Meet the Feebles is hilariously brilliant. The Bad Taste documentary shows his insane dedication, it's really inspiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcxMUZjaT4s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back