The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #137 of 1,312
I know lot's of us waiting for the BTR5. Here something James share 2 weeks ago.
8e5f2fefgy1g6m99a7tnyj20r40lqt9i.jpg

https://m.weibo.cn/status/I5dgrD3Yt?jumpfrom=weibocom

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #139 of 1,312
Good news for those who are waiting for BTR5 - FiiO just confirms pre-order in China will begin in next few days.

Sep 25, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #140 of 1,312
Another quick update, estimated price for BTR5 is around $99.

P/s: dual clocks (crystal oscillators) and FPGA.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #141 of 1,312
Its amazing to see the btr5 finally being released. They withheld it for close to a year to avoid eating into their own market with the q5s, m5, etc. But now the Qudelix-5K is also coming. The 5K will make the btr5 irrelevant in a few months unless it gets a decent price cut. Kinda want to see Fiio eat the consequence of their strategy. You can't just win both sides.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #142 of 1,312
Its amazing to see the btr5 finally being released. They withheld it for close to a year to avoid eating into their own market with the q5s, m5, etc. But now the Qudelix-5K is also coming. The 5K will make the btr5 irrelevant in a few months unless it gets a decent price cut. Kinda want to see Fiio eat the consequence of their strategy. You can't just win both sides.

You kinda lost me there on the timing. As I recalled, We first heard of BTR5 around March (which turn out to be a mix-up with M5). The first ETA was set on July, then pushes back to September. So at most we were only waiting for BTR5 for 6 months.

As for relevancy - I think we need to look back the case on BTR3 vs. ES100. By all mean ES100 is better than BTR3, but there are still people buying BTR3 nonetheless. It isn't just the price difference but also ES100 is actually not that easy to buy outside of a few region. For example, my ES100 is a grey import from the U.S., so I have to pay extra for shipping (and risk custom tax as well) while warranty could be an issue. On the other hand, FiiO has much better market coverage across the world and make it a less risky buy for many. I suspect Qudelix might have the same issue as EarStudio where audiophile will pick it up on a heart beat but more casual user are likely go for something more accessible in their local market.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #143 of 1,312
You kinda lost me there on the timing. As I recalled, We first heard of BTR5 around March (which turn out to be a mix-up with M5). The first ETA was set on July, then pushes back to September. So at most we were only waiting for BTR5 for 6 months.

As for relevancy - I think we need to look back the case on BTR3 vs. ES100. By all mean ES100 is better than BTR3, but there are still people buying BTR3 nonetheless. It isn't just the price difference but also ES100 is actually not that easy to buy outside of a few region. For example, my ES100 is a grey import from the U.S., so I have to pay extra for shipping (and risk custom tax as well) while warranty could be an issue. On the other hand, FiiO has much better market coverage across the world and make it a less risky buy for many. I suspect Qudelix might have the same issue as EarStudio where audiophile will pick it up on a heart beat but more casual user are likely go for something more accessible in their local market.
The BTR5's info and a teaser video was released in Chinese social media about the same time as the event for the m5&m11's announcement. People here were just confusing the details with the M5. The first release date was also May. The btr3 vs es100 comparison is not valid as the es100 is a better and more expansive product while the 5k is a better product but will cost the same as the btr5. Not sure about the rest of the world but both the ES100 and Fiio products are shipped by Amazon on Amazon US and they are everywhere on Taobao for China.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #144 of 1,312
The BTR5's info and a teaser video was released in Chinese social media about the same time as the event for the m5&m11's announcement. People here were just confusing the details with the M5. The first release date was also May. The btr3 vs es100 comparison is not valid as the es100 is a better and more expansive product while the 5k is a better product but will cost the same as the btr5. Not sure about the rest of the world but both the ES100 and Fiio products are shipped by Amazon on Amazon US and they are everywhere on Taobao for China.

No one has heard the final version of 5K nor BTR5 yet, so I won't be too quick to judge simply based on a few line of spec.

Also, plenty of good audio products out there, but not all of the companies that make them will thrive. Good product and good business is not necessary the same thing.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #145 of 1,312
No one has heard the final version of 5K nor BTR5 yet, so I won't be too quick to judge simply based on a few line of spec.
We can estimate the btr5 with all the LG phones even all the way back to the V20. They all use multi 9128. As for the 5k's dual 4377 it could be close to the m5 but I don't think its much of an advantage anyway. I think the most significant improvement over the btr5 is that the 5k uses the qcc5124 which is much more efficient and capable than the older csr8675. It also adds all the aptx standards even aptx adaptive.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #146 of 1,312
We can estimate the btr5 with all the LG phones even all the way back to the V20. They all use multi 9128. As for the 5k's dual 4377 it could be close to the m5 but I don't think its much of an advantage anyway. I think the most significant improvement over the btr5 is that the 5k uses the qcc5124 which is much more efficient and capable than the older csr8675. It also adds all the aptx standards even aptx adaptive.

I'll believe it when I hear it. Circuit design and implement are just as important as what chips were used, if not more so. That much I have learned.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #147 of 1,312
I heard the BTR5 at CanJam London in July. At that point it was in at least late-prototype form — it looked and behaved like a finished product. At that point they were expecting it in October.

On my ER4-SR, BTR5 was simply superior to BTR3. Some of this may be down to the 4377 vs. whatever BTR3 has, but much is attributable simply to output power. The ER4-SR (like every Ety I've tried) really rewards proper amplification, and BTR3 is not at the level to drive with authority and transparency. BTR5 is. (This was single-ended, BTW.)

Of course I don't know whether the final production version will match the really sample I heard, but if the price is in the $99 range mentioned earlier, I expect to take the leap.

Sep 26, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #148 of 1,312
Another quick update, estimated price for BTR5 is around $99.

P/s: dual clocks (crystal oscillators) and FPGA.
Just saw that you also from Malaysia. You'll get the one from taobao? Fiio price here is very different from China. The Q1MK2 is same price for China and Malaysia. But the Fiio M5 and BTR3 is cheaper in China. I hope the price for the BTR5 would be the same with Q1MK2.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #149 of 1,312
Just saw that you also from Malaysia. You'll get the one from taobao? Fiio price here is very different from China. The Q1MK2 is same price for China and Malaysia. But the Fiio M5 and BTR3 is cheaper in China. I hope the price for the BTR5 would be the same with Q1MK2.

Always get my Chinese gears from China. Most of the time it is faster and cheaper than way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back