The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jul 9, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #601 of 1,312
Thank you. I have Honor 8 and according to these specifications, it doesn't have aptX or AAC. I'm thinking of replacing my phone with one of the LG phones with the quad-dac later. So, I guess it makes sense for me to settle for a cheaper option until then. Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative for Dragonfly under $100?
Yep, that's a very old smartphone so it makes much more sense to upgrade the smartphone first. I can recommend the DDHiFi TC35B, but you need to make sure your smartphone support USB DAC first as I know some older Huawei don't.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #602 of 1,312
I have Honor 8 and according to these specifications, it doesn't have aptX or AAC.
It says upgradable to Android 8. If yours is running Android 8, it might have LDAC. You can view the available codecs on your phone in Developer Options. As @ClieOS says, your first consideration is to decide whether you want wireless. Also, what headphones do you want to use with it?

I can recommend the DDHiFi TC35B
That's USB-C, which won't work without an additional adapter on the Honor 8.

Look in the list in the first post for devices that have "USB DAC" and "microUSB". BTW, I notice that ES100 is listed as Type-C, but it's microUSB.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #603 of 1,312

GSM Arena listed Honor 8 for having Type-C?

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #605 of 1,312
It's a 2016 phone and I assumed it wouldn't have USB-C. Looking around, there is conflicting information. This spec says micro USB: https://www.gizmochina.com/product/huawei-honor-8/

Here is a copy of Honor 8 user manual, Type-C port is clearly listed: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1181584/Huawei-Honor-8.html?page=12#manual

p/s: Apparently first smartphone with Type-C was introduced in 2015 and in China. So it is not that unlikely a 2016 Chinese smartphone could have one.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #607 of 1,312
It says upgradable to Android 8. If yours is running Android 8, it might have LDAC. You can view the available codecs on your phone in Developer Options. As @ClieOS says, your first consideration is to decide whether you want wireless. Also, what headphones do you want to use with it?

Look in the list in the first post for devices that have "USB DAC" and "microUSB". BTW, I notice that ES100 is listed as Type-C, but it's microUSB.

Thank you. My phone does have USB-C. But it is only on Android 7. Honor said they might release Android 8 for this phone, but I don't think that will ever happen.

I will be only using IEMs (Moondrop Starfield, CCA C10 & **** ****) with this set up.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #608 of 1,312
Fiio costs £90 , I said £200 for BT only. by default , I don't need USB, multisampling / bit depth or DSD
My reco approach, if you want to "stay tiny" is try the Qudelix 5K in case it is better than BTR5, even just a bit, and then **add** an analog HPamp with higher gain & better impedance to boost your SQ.

The Periodic Nickel maybe? This is my thread on that one narrow topic, apparently the title might still not be clear enough, no traction yet

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/com...-gain-impedance-only-ignore-dac-bt-etc.936950

If the Mojo has line-in maybe use the 5K to BT-enable it, but too kludgey a package for my taste.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #609 of 1,312
I do have my doubt that any smartphone can have headphone-out as good as BTR3K's.
Many smart posters have said it is very difficult to improve on the LG V30 family's analog output with most any portable external unit.

Perhaps that generalization only applies to a certain range of headphone types? I dunno.

My having bought into that "common wisdom" is what led me to question your choice of phone the other day.

Of course if BT really gets "good enough" SQ then all that goes away I guess.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #610 of 1,312
Thank you. My phone does have USB-C. But it is only on Android 7. Honor said they might release Android 8 for this phone, but I don't think that will ever happen.

I'll say your money is best spent on newer smartphone. Getting one of those LG phone than you probably don't need an BT or Type-C adapter.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #611 of 1,312
My having bought into that "common wisdom" is what led me to question your choice of phone the other day.

Can you point me back to which post that is?

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #613 of 1,312
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #614 of 1,312
No one particular post but hundreds, across dozens of forums. I'm not trying to make a case that it's true, just my perception of a widespread consensus, and do not recall any contrary assertions disputing it.

Edit: very next post in my Alert box
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-qudelix-5k-thread.914628/page-67#post-15730091

I were just curious for not remembering any discussion between you and me involving my 'choice of phone'... also not sure what that link to someone else discussion is meant to say.

Anyway, lets move on.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #615 of 1,312
Sorry I inferred your Q was seeking posts supporting my

> it is very difficult to improve on the LG V30 family's analog output with most any portable external unit

As to your phone I guess just crossed wires, brain fart on my part, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back