The Headphone Addiction | Why does it happen?
Jul 18, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #16 of 34
Listening to good cans is like getting good lap times at the track. It's a great feeling and you just want to keep doing it. In order to get better, you experiment. You change your line, braking, etc. Or in a headphone audiophile, you find new cans that change the aspect of which you listen to music. Things like open vs closed, bass head vs high end, etc.

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #17 of 34
Okay obviously everyone has more than at least 2. So... how do you guys rotate your headphones? Do you find yourself listening to all of them equally or one more than the other?

I've been switching back and forth between the AKG 701s and different headphone has actually made me appreciate my Grados more and more. Those 225s are mighty tempting.

Where can you get those silver grado's i've been seeing around the forums? Those discontinued?

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #18 of 34
I usually rotate my headphones on a whim. No more than a week or so with each before trying a different one. Even when you're used to a can, it sounds fresh all over again when you haven't listened to it for 3-4 weeks. It's great. Also, it's great to have a few amps. At least one solid state and one with tubes. Mixing it up gives you a new sound whenever you want.

Also, I don't consider audiophilia like most other obsessions. We're not collecting gear (at least most of us aren't) we're using it to get closer to music. It's like hobbies that involve tools, like woodwork. You don't care so much about your tablesaw as what you can do with it. This ain't collecting figurines.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #19 of 34
Headophilia is cheaper than Audiophilia so it's much easier to justify a new can or amp and stay married. I have 4 loudspeaker systems. Head systems listed below. There's currently 2 more cans I want, K701 and new DT770 and 2 more loudspeakers I want that cost $1500 and $4000 respectively. Which ones will I get first? PS...I would have never gotten into cans and amps had it not been for me and my wife both taking forced early retirement from our jobs, one year apart. Thanks corporate America!

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps
Listening to good cans is like getting good lap times at the track. It's a great feeling and you just want to keep doing it. In order to get better, you experiment. You change your line, braking, etc. Or in a headphone audiophile, you find new cans that change the aspect of which you listen to music. Things like open vs closed, bass head vs high end, etc.

VERY WELL SAID!

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
But it beats the hell out of a speaker addiction.
wink.gif

I think 'Phones are a gateway drug. After being able to get headphone amps that are preamps and really getting into sonic differences between equipment, it's only natural to move up to speakers for if nothing more than curiosity.

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #22 of 34
I think JimmyJames and Bink got it....

low barrier to entry (typically $100s, not $1000s), compared to dac-of-the-month clubs and other more expensive hobbies. think of people who collect motorcycles, exotic pets, fishing (gear + boat + better boat + truck to pull boat), jewelry (at least our toys don't just sit there!), WIVES for that matter...

not much down side to a bad decision, courtesy a thriving internet based 2nd hand market. would you be sampling as many products w/o this FS forum and audiogon?

Jul 18, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by highgrovemanor
I think JimmyJames and Bink got it....

low barrier to entry (typically $100s, not $1000s), compared to dac-of-the-month clubs and other more expensive hobbies. think of people who collect motorcycles, exotic pets, fishing (gear + boat + better boat + truck to pull boat), jewelry (at least our toys don't just sit there!), WIVES for that matter...

not much down side to a bad decision, courtesy a thriving internet based 2nd hand market. would you be sampling as many products w/o this FS forum and audiogon?

. . . but I'll also be the thousandth person to say that the intimacy of headphones really brings a personal factor to the experience--helps me disconnect from the day for a little bit.

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 34
besides all the quality/cost and intimacy things,
there is a 'viscious-circle' thing that goes on here becomming self-perpetuating.

[begin cycle]

you realise how good it sounds . . .

a smile comes to your face
smily_headphones1.gif
. . . . .

you then realize what you have been missing . . .

you then learn how to listen and hear . . .

and you find that there is 'better' available . . .

so you wonder what else you are still missing . . . .

someone tells of how much better it could sound . . . .

so you upgrade . . . .

you realise how great it sounds . . .

smily_headphones1.gif
. . . . .

[/repeat cycle]

a few months later your venture out to buy 'a pair of headphones' has turned into an obsession, you have more phones than ears and other orifaces combines, a bunch of amps, and you are on the constant prowl for eargasms
biggrin.gif

that's it, blame the eargasms

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
besides all the quality/cost and intimacy things,
there is a 'viscious-circle' thing that goes on here becomming self-perpetuating.

[begin cycle]

you realise how good it sounds . . .

smily_headphones1.gif
. . . . .

you then realize what you have been missing . . .

you then learn how to listen and hear . . .

and you find that there is 'better' available . . .

so you wonder what else you are still missing . . . .

someone tells of how much better it could sound . . . .

so you upgrade . . . .

you realise how great it sounds . . .

smily_headphones1.gif
. . . . .

[/repeat cycle]

a few months later your venture out to buy 'a pair of headphones' has turned into an obsession, you have more phones than ears and other orifaces combines, a bunch of amps, and you are on the constant prowl for eargasms
biggrin.gif

aka we are crazy

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
biggrin.gif

Eheheheheh...it's all about the multiple eargasms!!!!
580smile.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 34
This is pretty simple, the cost of entry is relatively low and its a hell of alot easier to own and try 3 or 4 headphones at once than it is 3 or 4 pairs of speakers.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Eheheheheh...it's all about the multiple eargasms!!!!
580smile.gif

blink.gif
you mean guys can have multipes too?
confused.gif
eek.gif

then again, in this case you do have the requesite anatomy
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Very well said - this is exactly how I feel about the hobby.

me too,
except it also helped me when Mother Nature killed my speaker/home rig a few years back...plus visitors and guests are less likely to get out all the headphone gear and use/abuse it when you are not around to regulate...which prolongs the life of your cans and hifi..

I like that with HP's too, and in addition what others have said, that you do not have as much leading through the AC outlet,so there is less damage prone to weather/lightning attacks
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back