The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,531 of 6,326
Quote:

A step down when I had the two in house.  Felt the AP2 made the PWD2 less focused, tonally shifted down slightly and more forward than straight NativeX.  Was bloody awesome with the Metrum Octave though.

The AP2 opens it up, better soundstage, focus, imaging, positioning, dynamics. On the other hand I am using it with a proper SPDIF cable, that also makes a difference to the 4cm cheap metal adapter. So it happens I switched back to stock PWD USB earlier today and that was ... meh.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #1,533 of 6,326
Quote:
To each their own.  Curious, what firmware are you running?

It came with 2.2.0 pld105 and it's an upgraded PWD1. I haven't started rolling the firmware yet. I just swapped back to the stock USB and I will add to my list above: cleaner background, more air and spark with the AP2.  I am running ASIO4ALL latest beta that I prefer to other plugins. The PWD2 USB can be ran through ASIO4ALL for impressions but it's no good for listening due to ocassional pops or I haven't figured the right settings for it yet.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,535 of 6,326
Anyone run their bridge with foobar? For some reason, unless I upsample everything to 24bit, the PWD is showing lossless (be it Flac or m4a) as MP3. I don't mind the on-the-fly conversion to wav, but I don't see why it should upsample to a higher bit rate. Incidentally, JRiver, gives me no such problem and plays everything in its native format and file type.

Next week I'll run over to audiodoctor over in Jersey City and see if the Aurilac Vega is all it's cracked up to be. If so, it or the Levi will be my next splurge after the 009 comes in a few weeks.

Lately, I've been feeling the PWD can be a little rough in the treble and gets a little splashy with my HE6 (CSP2+ > Odyssey Stratos Plus). On this note, I've been using 2.41 and so far pleasantly surprised. I need more time to be sure, but early impressions show an added spaciousness (think Z), less grain and smoother transients. Take this with a grain of salt, particularly as I was initially pleased with PL09 too (coming from PL05).

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,536 of 6,326
Sorry to have derailed the thread. The previous post clearly belongs in the PWD thread...where my scatterbrain thought it was.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,538 of 6,326
Quote:
It was a good break from thinking about when production batches might get shipped. September? October? December? Sigh ... January?

5 months of wait and counting, no complain here as I knew what I signed up to when I clicked the order button ... just hope it'll be in time as the next Christmas gift for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,540 of 6,326
5 months of wait and counting, no complain here as I knew what I signed up to when I clicked the order button ... just hope it'll be in time as the next Christmas gift for myself :)

I'm also not complaining, but 5 months is no time. I ordered the Aristaeus about 16 months ago and haven't got it yet. I did send Justin an email a couple of months ago to which he replied by saying he was busy building BHSE's, so I do understand the situation he's in.
I also have the BHSE and GS-Xmk2 so the waiting for the Aristaeus isn't bothering me too much.

I guess the one thing that was kind of silly of me, was I paid for the Aristaeus in full a month after I placed the order. Since then the Aristaeus has come down in price.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #1,541 of 6,326
Quote:
I'm also not complaining, but 5 months is no time. I ordered the Aristaeus about 16 months ago and haven't got it yet. I did send Justin an email a couple of months ago to which he replied by saying he was busy building BHSE's, so I do understand the situation he's in.
I also have the BHSE and GS-Xmk2 so the waiting for the Aristaeus isn't bothering me too much.

I guess the one thing that was kind of silly of me, was I paid for the Aristaeus in full a month after I placed the order. Since then the Aristaeus has come down in price.

On my case, at least I ordered before the GS-X price increase, making the wait a little bit more worthwhile
smile.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,543 of 6,326
Yep - plenty of time to prepare everything else and recable my cans.

I don't see any pictures here of the back side of the MK2. Could a current owner post a pic? I'm curious how the input/outputs have changed since the original MK1.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,545 of 6,326
Quote:

I guess if you email Justin, he maybe willing to sort out the price difference issue for you.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back