The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #706 of 6,326
When I went through the amp round up the WA22 was bested by the B22 that was bested by the Soloist and it's a mini Dynalo so... GS-X mk2 will be another step up.  WA22 is pretty expensive for what it delivers.  And I liked it, but for $1900 plus another $600 in tubes you can do better for much less.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #707 of 6,326
Quote:
Okay we need more impressions of the GSX MkII, especially paired with the LCD-3 and HD800. I need to make a decision here. 
L3000.gif

You should be polite and patient. The first few have just received their amplifier.

Jø!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #708 of 6,326
Quote:
When I went through the amp round up the WA22 was bested by the B22 that was bested by the Soloist and it's a mini Dynalo so... GS-X mk2 will be another step up.  WA22 is pretty expensive for what it delivers.  And I liked it, but for $1900 plus another $600 in tubes you can do better for much less.

Seeing that we had the exact same WA22 (and tube compliment), my GS-X is my favourite amp that I've owned. I don't miss the WA22 and LF one bit. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #710 of 6,326
Quote:
Always nice to find products worth their asking price.  Too rare a thing in audio :D

Agreed. The GSX sounds like one hell of an amp!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #711 of 6,326
Quote:
My MK2 arrived yesterday. Serial #9.

(click for larger)

All I can say is that it's great to have a Dynalo-type amp again for my Audio-Technica AD2K! The Burson Soloist was good but now it's been rightfully taken over by the MK2.

Unfortunately I can hear quite a bit of power transformer hum from the PSU in this stacked setup. Not sure how I'm going to go about averting it.....

Any plans on the AD2000X?

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #712 of 6,326
Quote:
Unfortunately I can hear quite a bit of power transformer hum from the PSU in this stacked setup. Not sure how I'm going to go about averting it.....

After placing an order for the Aristaeus, I asked Justin if it would be possible stack the amp section directly onto of the PSU. Justin said doing that might cause unwanted noise.

So the photo below is a small rack I had made to separate both units. 

Sorry about the photo, cloudy day.

When I get the GS-X, I'm stacking the amp section on top of the PSU. So if I get any noise, I'll just have a similar rack made, but obviously the legs won't be as high.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #713 of 6,326
Quote:
Quote:
After placing an order for the Aristaeus, I asked Justin if it would be possible stack the amp section directly onto of the PSU. Justin said doing that might cause unwanted noise.

So the photo below is a small rack I had made to separate both units. 

Sorry about the photo, cloudy day.

When I get the GS-X, I'm stacking the amp section on top of the PSU. So if I get any noise, I'll just have a similar rack made, but obviously the legs won't be as high.

Nice David. That rack should do well for housing the new toys.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #714 of 6,326
I've had mine since Thursday and have been putting some burn-in time.  My impressions so far, with a Perfectwave DACII source and balanced LCD 2.2's is that the amp is very revealing of source and music, has the widest and deepest soundstage that I have heard in an LCD, and that it is as detailed as anything that I have heard short of an elite Stax SR-009 rig.  Mine does seem to be a little rolled off in the bass right now but I'm going to reserve judgement until it has a few hundred hours on it.  The bass is there right now and is very detailed but does seem to be way in the background while the mids and highs take center stage.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #715 of 6,326
My electrician had to cancel today :frowning2:  Dedicated lines have to wait until we re-schedule.  I can confirm the noise floor is actually higher when the PSU is directly underneath.  Putting a few inches between does help.

My favorites so far with the amp are the LCD-2 and RS-1.  I think the HD800 may be looking for a more "euphonic" sound - or a source that exhibits that kind of sound...

More testing needed!

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #716 of 6,326
Hi guys!
Any ideas on when I will be able to recieve gs-x mk2 if I order it now?

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #718 of 6,326
Quote:
Exactly.

This amplifier seems, according to your report, to be close to the ideal of the amplifier not at all tampering with the signal, but instead letting it all through, just amplifying it.

In your statement you turn this 180 degrees, regarding it as a peculiarity instead of a good thing one should strive for.

That's just the way you took it.  Never did I say it was a bad thing.  Indeed it's a good thing.  Please read my post again. 
blink.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #719 of 6,326
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly.

This amplifier seems, according to your report, to be close to the ideal of the amplifier not at all tampering with the signal, but instead letting it all through, just amplifying it.

In your statement you turn this 180 degrees, regarding it as a peculiarity instead of a good thing one should strive for.

That's just the way you took it.  Never did I say it was a bad thing.  Indeed it's a good thing.  Please read my post again. 
blink.gif

Hmmm...A good thing said in a bad way?....
biggrin.gif
 Sorry, couldn't help it....
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back