The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #5,821 of 6,342
Anyways, talking about postive stuff, the LCD-X with the gs-x sounds ridiculous amazing, never heard an audeze become so liquid and effortless, the resolution of the pairing is astonishing. In my opinion is the one of the most natural in terms of tonality, anyway more than many pro / studio high end phones pretend to be. Plus, you get all the amazing dynamics and physical punch of the planar, even more punchy and present as in a room. Dual mono topology is really there, separation and very clear stereo image and soundstage, this is the nearest I've heard to loudspeakers in headphones for sure. Amazing amp which loves planar headphones, still many hours to put on and can't already wait my brother mr speakers aeon in june!

May 5, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #5,822 of 6,342
There were earlier questions about the GS-X Mk2 single ended versus balanced. I have a solder issue on the right channel of my Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable that I use with the HD800. (My bad; I stepped on the cable and ripped it from the connection a few too many times.) I have been living with this for a while, twisting and tweaking the cable at the connector to get full contact. It finally has become unbearable so I switched back to the original HD800 cable.

I definitely hear the difference. It sounds bloody great, but not as full and weighty IMO. This makes sense with the high impedance HD800 which scales so beautifully; it was the reason to get the GS-X Mk2 in the first place.

Of course, if I did not know better, I would not know what I was missing.

I hope to get the Black Dragon fixed today and get back to hearing the GS-X Mk2 as God (and Justin) intended. :)

May 5, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #5,823 of 6,342
That was easy. I went to the high end audio mall here in Shanghai. The right side connection was repaired by a rather diligent man using Cardas solder.

GS-X Mk2 + HD800 are back up and running balanced - and sounding so sweet. :beerchug:

May 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #5,824 of 6,342
That was easy. I went to the high end audio mall here in Shanghai. The right side connection was repaired by a rather diligent man using Cardas solder.

GS-X Mk2 + HD800 are back up and running balanced - and sounding so sweet. :beerchug:

That's great! The diligent man with the cardas solder at the right place in time.
I also own a black dragon 4 pin balanced cable for LCD-X,and I've to say it's a really awesome piece of gear. I'm personally a great fan of the furutech terminations, and to me those really step up the level even more, the 4 pin and especially mini xlrs are really the best I've seen on the market and a pleasure to plug in every time.

Also, just for reference and to keep joking on how unlucky I've been with the 800 S
I bet you're not experiencing any strange interference noises when using the HD 800 through the 4 pin XLR at low/unity gain, or am I wrong? : P

May 5, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #5,825 of 6,342
I bet you're not experiencing any strange interference noises when using the HD 800 through the 4 pin XLR at low/unity gain, or am I wrong? : P

You are right. I checked after reading your post and there are no issues with my particular 5-meter 4-pin cable and and the HD800. (But I would never listen to the HD800 in anything but high gain which is why I had to check. :) )

May 7, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #5,827 of 6,342
What was the GS-1 and how is it different from the GSX?
On the other forum was a photo of a soon to be released GS-1 MK2

May 7, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #5,828 of 6,342
Is it ok to leave GSX on 24/7 like other SS amps? Does anyone do that or will it deteriorate lifespan?

It does shorten the life of the capacitors but not by much. The amount of product degradation is pretty inconsequential for the most part. A product expected to live 25 years might only live 24 years by leaving it on full time. Tube amps are much different. They go through caps and tubes much faster

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 7, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #5,829 of 6,342
It does shorten the life of the capacitors but not by much. The amount of product degradation is pretty inconsequential for the most part. A product expected to live 25 years might only live 24 years but leaving it on full time. Tube amps are much different. They go through caps and tubes much faster

Gotcha, makes sense, thanks.

May 7, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,830 of 6,342
@buzzlulu - I own a GS-1 w/ Dynalo+ modules. It is basically a single-ended version of the GS-X mk 2, albeit with a little less output power because of a less robust linear power supply. The GS-1 was released over a decade ago but I think it remains one of the best sounding amps bar none. See the old GS-1 Thread for more info.

May 7, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #5,831 of 6,342
Thank you
I wonder if the new version will be the Supersymmetry one?
If I understand correctly - unbalanced or balanced in - balanced out?

May 7, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #5,832 of 6,342
@buzzlulu - I own a GS-1 w/ Dynalo+ modules. It is basically a single-ended version of the GS-X mk 2, albeit with a little less output power because of a less robust linear power supply. The GS-1 was released over a decade ago but I think it remains one of the best sounding amps bar none. See the old GS-1 Thread for more info.
I had the GS-1 w/DACT & Dynalo + Modules, but when I purchased my GS-Xmk2 I decided to sell the GS-1. I do regret selling it, I should have stuck it in my closet and just forgot about it.

May 7, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #5,833 of 6,342
Thank you
I wonder if the new version will be the Supersymmetry one?
If I understand correctly - unbalanced or balanced in - balanced out?

Yes - you've got it right though I haven't read anything about the new version utilizing a supersymmetry design. Hopefully someone from HeadAmp will chime in on that point. Of course, if you want a supersymmetry Dynalo this very minute, there's always the Pure Bipolar.

May 7, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #5,834 of 6,342
Yes - you've got it right though I haven't read anything about the new version utilizing a supersymmetry design. Hopefully someone from HeadAmp will chime in on that point. Of course, if you want a supersymmetry Dynalo this very minute, there's always the Pure Bipolar.

Need to complete my Carbon purchase first :)

May 8, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #5,835 of 6,342
Given the talk of the Carbon and Pure Bipolar, I think this is relevant in the GSX MkII thread. I own all three of these amps. I collected them in the same space so a friend and I could, compare listen over the weekend.

JSqhPCE.jpg

I was hoping to post some thoughts on these three since I recently picked up the GSX MkII, but time and energy have not allowed for it. What I can easily say is that they're all excellent amplifiers and they've got far more similarities than differences; you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back