The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 29, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #5,791 of 6,325
Just found out that my favourite local store has gsx mk2 in stock and I'm tempted to get the unit since they're offering a small discount for it since I'm a regular. However I've been reading how much better the balanced input of the gsx over the SE and I only have a hugo 2 at the moment. Would it be wise to bite the bullet and get the gsx to use with a Hugo 2? I'm going to be using it with my Utopia's by the way. TYIA

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #5,792 of 6,325
Just found out that my favourite local store has gsx mk2 in stock and I'm tempted to get the unit since they're offering a small discount for it since I'm a regular. However I've been reading how much better the balanced input of the gsx over the SE and I only have a hugo 2 at the moment. Would it be wise to bite the bullet and get the gsx to use with a Hugo 2? I'm going to be using it with my Utopia's by the way. TYIA

I am curious hearing a fresh perspective on this as well. As much as I wanted to purchase a GSX (and boy did I really want to) it was the idea that SE did not allow one to experience its true capabilities which ended up pushing me in a different direction. The temptation still remains - however it seems that all GSX owners have DAC's which output full balanced.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #5,793 of 6,325

If you can get a hold of a GS-X Mk2without a wait and at a discount, you should jump on it right away.

Since you are driving the Utopia with the Hugao 2, adding the GS-X would make a big difference, even in SE mode. The GS-X Mk2 is the best match for the Utopia I have found so far—I tried the SimAudio Moon Nero, V281, Woo WA5, EAR HP, and Apex Teton (bad ampedance mismatch).

I would not worry about the GS-XMk2 in SE mode. You weak link will be the Hugo 2. I tried my analog source, the ModWright Oppo UDP 205 the Holo Spring L3, and they all sound great with the GS-X Mk2. Sure, it sounds better with XLR—cleaner and more dynamic— but to get the Utopia to sound its best, you need a proper amp and you can hardly do better than the GS-X.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #5,794 of 6,325
If you can get a hold of a GS-X Mk2without a wait and at a discount, you should jump on it right away.

Since you are driving the Utopia with the Hugao 2, adding the GS-X would make a big difference, even in SE mode. The GS-X Mk2 is the best match for the Utopia I have found so far—I tried the SimAudio Moon Nero, V281, Woo WA5, EAR HP, and Apex Teton (bad ampedance mismatch).

I would not worry about the GS-XMk2 in SE mode. You weak link will be the Hugo 2. I tried my analog source, the ModWright Oppo UDP 205 the Holo Spring L3, and they all sound great with the GS-X Mk2. Sure, it sounds better with XLR—cleaner and more dynamic— but to get the Utopia to sound its best, you need a proper amp and you can hardly do better than the GS-X.

Wow, thanks for the feedback! Wasn't worried about the SE input initially but seeing all the comments about the XLR being better got me curious if it was worth the upgrade, and I agree that the Hugo 2 might end up being the "weak link" in my setup but I can just save a bit and eventually get a better DAC, a DAVE or maybe Hugo TT 2 (if they're going to release one that is!) perharps.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #5,795 of 6,325

That's because unless it has both balanced inputs and outputs you are literally only using 50% of the circuitry (and power) on tap. That said, with the really efficient Utopias, the differences between balanced and SE aren't as big as with more power hungry headphones like say the LCD-4 or Abyss Phi.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #5,796 of 6,325
That's because unless it has both balanced inputs and outputs you are literally only using 50% of the circuitry (and power) on tap. That said, with the really efficient Utopias, the differences between balanced and SE aren't as big as with more power hungry headphones like say the LCD-4 or Abyss Phi.

Yes - that is what I was told.
How is the character sound and flavor of this amp affected by only using 50% of the circuitry? Does it change or is it still the same sonic character of the GSX used fully balanced? Wire with gain? The headphones used are fairly efficient - Utopia's and Z1R's.

I ended up purchasing the MOON 430HA which internally converts to balanced even when fed single ended.
Lets just say I have a bit of buyers remorse. I still yearn for a GSX however I can only run it fed single ended. Actually there is a way for me to feed it balanced from my two channel sources however 1) I would lose use of my vinyl 2) running the digital becomes a pain. The back of my digital has both RCA and XLR Balanced. The problem is that if both are connected at the same time - which I need as the RCA out goes to my two channel preamp - then the balanced XLR becomes unbalanced. The only way they remain truly balanced is if the RCA cables are fully removed from the jacks. I looked into this last year and was told as such from the manufacturer. I think I will contact them again to revisit this however I, unfortunately, this that is how it is.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #5,797 of 6,325
Yes - that is what I was told.
How is the character sound and flavor of this amp affected by only using 50% of the circuitry? Does it change or is it still the same sonic character of the GSX used fully balanced? Wire with gain? The headphones used are fairly efficient - Utopia's and Z1R's.

I ended up purchasing the MOON 430HA which internally converts to balanced even when fed single ended.
Lets just say I have a bit of buyers remorse. I still yearn for a GSX however I can only run it fed single ended. Actually there is a way for me to feed it balanced from my two channel sources however 1) I would lose use of my vinyl 2) running the digital becomes a pain. The back of my digital has both RCA and XLR Balanced. The problem is that if both are connected at the same time - which I need as the RCA out goes to my two channel preamp - then the balanced XLR becomes unbalanced. The only way they remain truly balanced is if the RCA cables are fully removed from the jacks. I looked into this last year and was told as such from the manufacturer. I think I will contact them again to revisit this however I, unfortunately, this that is how it is.

It doesn't change character to my ears (that is that it has no character of its own). And if your headphones are like the Utopia or Z1Rs (highly efficient), then balanced vs. unbalanced differences are quite similar. :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #5,798 of 6,325
It doesn't change character to my ears (that is that it has no character of its own). And if your headphones are like the Utopia or Z1Rs (highly efficient), then balanced vs. unbalanced differences are quite similar. :)

Hmmm... one more reason to speak with Justin again. I just finished a round with him and made a jump on the Stax train.

Any hum problems stacking the two units?

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #5,799 of 6,325
Hmmm... one more reason to speak with Justin again. I just finished a round with him and made a jump on the Stax train.

Personally I don’t hear any.

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #5,800 of 6,325
I don't know how long you've been following this thread, but not too long ago I posted issue I had with the amp/PSU being stacked (this was not the amp/PSU's fault) with 1 out of my 7 headphones I use with the GS-Xmk2. Here is the issue I had and here was my solution. Otherwise I've never had an issue with any humming at all with the units stacked. Also, it clearly states not to stack the units when you receive the GS-Xmk2.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #5,801 of 6,325
Only consideration is high gain. Not sure why folks would need high gain anyway, but if you did, you might separate them.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #5,802 of 6,325
When stacked and listening with Utopias, I find that I can pick up some hum even on medium gain at higher volume, but rarely. It's more noticeable on high gain and with more sensitive headphones. The hum disappears when the units are further apart.

I'm still looking for isolation feet or something to space the units out a bit. It's hard to find something that I think will separate the unit enough and not diminish the look. I'd appreciate input if anyone's found good a solution.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #5,804 of 6,325
Unless you have AC hum from ground loops—and I do not think you do—hum from EMI is not difficult to eliminate as it decays as the inverse of the square of the distance. I had a slight hum when I stacked the two units and using RCA cables.. I just used Navcom feet to separate the stacked units by about two inches: problem solved. I never had any problems with all XLR input and output.

May 1, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #5,805 of 6,325
I was originally concerned about the reported hum because of my limited space, I have to stacked them, but since I have the new amp put through the burn-in process two weeks ago, I am very happy to report that there is no hum that I can detect either in mid or high gain. After a little over 300 hours of burn-in, I am very happy to say the same all of you have been saying that this is an outstanding amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back