The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #5,236 of 6,326
us chord users do not speak of r2r  
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #5,237 of 6,326
  Thanks for the feedback.

And thanks to our nutty real estate on the West Coast, I'm not sure we'd ever afford enough space for a proper speaker set up. So for the foreseeable future, it'll be a headphone rig for me.

At this point, (and maybe it was the 15 month wait to get it) the one component that I doubt I will sell is the GS-X. So I'd want the balanced out of the TT as opposed to the Hugo/Hugo 2. I'm sort of hoping that this new Chord release will put a bit of downward pressure on the price of the TT (yeah I know wishful thinking...). I've had the Lavry a long time, and it's a good DAC, but it's time for something new/different. I'll probably end up using the Lavry at work.

maybe next year they will drop TT 2? 

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #5,238 of 6,326
  I'm also waiting for my Spring DAC Level 3 "KTE" from Holo Audio USA along with the Singxer SU-1 

At the risk of derailing this thread into a Spring DAC conversation....

I "cheaped out" and ordered the Level 1 kit.  I just couldn't justify the roughly $800 difference between the level 1 and level 3 kits considering they are based on the same architecture.  I don't know if my ears are finely tuned enough to appreciate the subtle differences that silver wiring, magic caps and an upgraded transformer make.  

I think the Spring DAC will be a good match for the HeadAmp GS-X mk2.  I'm really looking forward to listening to the combination.  ...now the wait.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #5,240 of 6,326
The Holo Spring DAC seems to be all the rage these days. It'll be interesting to hear how it sounds with the GSX Mk2. It's nice to see a revival of R2R DACs!
At one point I'll replace my DAC with einher a d1-core Total DAC, or the Aqua La Scala DAC that has a newly developed R2R ladder. Very interesting developments going on in the multibit area! But the GSX will stay as the core of my audio chain!

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #5,243 of 6,326
Yggy most definitely earned it's reputation! I personally find it difficult to pick a DAC. Particularly now, when all the hype sets in about the new MQA format. The choice is not governed anymore by deciding between Delta Sigma and R2R DACs, there are many aspects going into a decision, at least for me. Having picked one brand that sounds good makes me want to keep it, rather than upgrading again. But the DAC field is extremely volatile.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #5,245 of 6,326
  Yggy most definitely earned it's reputation! I personally find it difficult to pick a DAC. Particularly now, when all the hype sets in about the new MQA format. The choice is not governed anymore by deciding between Delta Sigma and R2R DACs, there are many aspects going into a decision, at least for me. Having picked one brand that sounds good makes me want to keep it, rather than upgrading again. But the DAC field is extremely volatile.

I feel the same way about my PWD-ll/Bridge-ll but got the itch to try something different, so I'll just keep the PWD on the side until I decide which I prefer.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #5,247 of 6,326
I feel the same way about my PWD-ll/Bridge-ll but got the itch to try something different, so I'll just keep the PWD on the side until I decide which I prefer.

In spite of my fondness for R2R DACs, I find myself pondering if I shouldn't just buy one of those modern DACs like PS Audio's Direct Stream Junior or Mytek's new Manhattan 2. They to be so versatile. Why being stubborn when the only issue is to feed the GSX-Mk2 with the best possible signal. Sigh, not a simple decision!

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #5,249 of 6,326
In spite of my fondness for R2R DACs, I find myself pondering if I shouldn't just buy one of those modern DACs like PS Audio's Direct Stream Junior or Mytek's new Manhattan 2. They to be so versatile. Why being stubborn when the only issue is to feed the GSX-Mk2 with the best possible signal. Sigh, not a simple decision!

I've never heard an R2R DAC, but I do love my PWD-ll.
I made the purchase mainly for my BHSE though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back